Guardian Article On Torquay

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

A tragedy that there hasn't been, and doesn't appear to be a happy ending approaching on this issue. I planned to post my less -than-informed opinion on the issue here - then realised that what I know/assume to be happening, sadly doesn't appear to have changed since I last commented in December...

What a disgusting, deceitful and ultimately devastating collaboration. An absolute disgrace that people with the supposed interests of the club at heart have allowed this to happen on their watch. This is on them. I’m talking about the so-called ‘supporters’ in the directors box, the self-serving ‘hired help’ from Cornwall and the local paper that have failed to report any of this in a non-biased, investigative manner. Even the governing bodies, and their less-than-watertight rules that allow anyone, whatever their intentions, purchase and destroy the very organisations they have a duty of care to protect. These people were collectively the guardians of our football club, and they’ve let us all down. Those that supported the club in the past, those that continue to stand by it, and those that would’ve come after us. We’re the victims of a crime. Our final hope is the council? Might as well put the padlocks on the turnstiles now. They’re so broke, and morally corrupt there’s not a chance they’ll stand in the way of a cash windfall. All of these are complicit in a whitewash - the destruction of what, in most towns, would be considered a vital element of the community. The local football club should be cherished, and protected. Not sold off, for personal gain. This will forever be their legacy. If they had an ounce of conscience among them they’d stop it. There is still time. I’m not holding my breath.

I applaud Merse, Dave et al for managing to get this issue into the public domain. Plenty of clubs have faced similar problems, but all of them have received far more column inches. Did we become completely irrelevant when we left the football league? I guess we certainly became less noteworthy. But it's a scandal that our club is being wrenched away in this manner, without being asked so much as a question.

As for the timing, I think it's absolutely right this gauntlet is taken up now. The passion and determination of the crowd (and quite possibly the players too) certainly appeared to have been fuelled by something on Monday. Who knows how much it will ultimately help, but I absolutely don't think it will hurt. The owners and the council need to be clear - this club matters to people, more than that it belongs to those people. If you plan to take it away, you better be prepared for a fight.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

samuel wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 17:23 Thank you for the update Soupdragon. I am an optimistic fellow but I still can't work it out. If GI are a property company - what have they bought that is tangible - nothing, or do they own the stands, I can't remember. Why then would they put in 6 figures to something that is not turning a profit. No company, especially involved in property, would do this unless there was a game plan for the future. That game plan could only be formulated with positive indications from the land owners. It would be far to speculative to chuck £100,000 + on a scheme where the land owners have a duty to get the best price from the highest bidder. Torbay Council are not a private company or individual, they have to get the best price they can - by law.

I'm reading Wolf Hall at the moment, soon we will need a list of characters and their role like in the book to keep track of things. My personal opinion - something has been going on for ages between GI and the council, there would be too many imponderables for GI to get involved if there wasn't.

Some people out there not connected to GI know what the true situation is, whether they are ex-directors - forum members - councilors - club officials. They know what the score is. I don't. Does Dave Thomas, I don't know. I suspect after the North Ferriby game the bomb will be dropped.

Perhaps all will be revealed soon and we will breathe a sigh of relief, or we will be fuming and think 'of course -but we missed it or couldn't work it out'.

This is Hereford United with palm trees.
You are welcome.

My take on it was that they didn't really want TUFC, at least not really under those circs or at that time, but they didn't want to lose their £100k and they didn't want anyone else to have it.

Wolf Hall? Pah! Child's play! Try ' The Prince' by Machiavelli (quite funny), or - a favourite of mine - 'Art of War' by Sun Tzu ... useful for local politics!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Regarding the potential sale of the ground by the council, the thing I find most frustrating and angers me the most is - why aren't the public consulted? If anyone dares to suggest trying to change this town for the better - be that with a new hotel complex, or changes to the town centre, everyone gets their say, and normally a small number of protesters are able to stop pretty much anything proceeding. So why isn't it the same when the council are looking to sell a site of significant local interest? Why are a small number (potentially 3?) people making this decision on behalf of all of us? I don't know how these things work, but what is the distinction? Why is the addition of something to the bay, treated so differently to the removal of something?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Soupdragon wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 20:27 Well lets hope Osbourne hasn't followed the advice in The Art of War, to make sure you have won the battle before you actually fight it; tea and biscuits in the mayor's parlour.

I think Sun Tzu would have approved of recruiting the media as allies; choosing and preparing for a battle out in the open.
TUST number 080
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere where it's listed, but does anyone have the contact details of someone at the club who is going to be instrumental in making the decision re: Sale of Plainmoor? I'd quite like to fire off my thoughts...
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Louis re-posted the email address this week.
TUST number 080
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Can anyone link to it? I have a missile loaded and ready to fire!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

I reposted the Torbay council members emails, not sure about who to contact at the club - the below is from the contact us page. It may get lost in their email system that is being investigated currently.
Main Reception - 01803 328666
[email protected]

For sponsorship and advertising, please contact:
Commercial - 01803 328 666
[email protected]

For hospitality, please contact our catering manager:
Hospitality - 01803 328666
[email protected]

For the club shop, please contact:
Main Reception - 01803 328666
[email protected]

For all secretary enquiries, please contact:
[email protected]

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/club/conta ... ZOMLwq2.99
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Cheers Louis. Apologies, I said 'club' meant 'council! Like an idiot.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Splendid. I can bombard loads of them at once! Cheers!
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Osborne had his mitts on Edgar Street
back in 2002

Read more: http://thelondonmafia.proboards.com/pos ... z4en4UAP6i

New material sent to BTPIR this morning as the world catches on to Clarke Osborne and his pursual of the Plainmoor freehold. Read carefully and see if you can spot the similarities between his approach then and his course of action over Torquay United.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Merse this unbelievable...beyond my ability to even understand it not alone dig it up and present it. ....

Seems like it's a case of putting some money in...enough to keep going just about and then corner the club and or council into relinquishing land for resale with promises of new stadia in which they will benefit anyhow....

And if not bye bye club
Am I wrong?

Have read the piece on your site...im just not that savvey on business
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 08:04 The Herald are definitely complicit in the deal for Plainmoor. Unfortunately my information is GI already have the deal done.
If this is the case then what are we fighting for? Once GI have the freehold its over.
Oh and don't worry about the club being forced to pay an uneconomical rent at a new stadium, because there isn't going to be a new stadium, that's just a hoodwink.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Fonda wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 07:01 Regarding the potential sale of the ground by the council, the thing I find most frustrating and angers me the most is - why aren't the public consulted? If anyone dares to suggest trying to change this town for the better - be that with a new hotel complex, or changes to the town centre, everyone gets their say, and normally a small number of protesters are able to stop pretty much anything proceeding.
That's something that puzzles me. There were numerous letters, for and against (mostly against), published in the Herald Express about the proposed multi-storey hotel on the harbourside, but not one letter has appeared about G.I's wish to purchase the freehold of Plainmoor. I find that surprising, although I have to own up and say that I haven't stirred myself to write in. But I can't believe that nobody has written in to their Sports Post section, so are letters being rejected? Okay, okay - I know what your reply will be. Why don't you write in and see what happens ? ;-)