Guardian Article On Torquay

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I think you can add the economics of local people to the list why the club might not be at the forefront of everyones daily thoughts.
TUST MEMBER
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

rickl wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:26 And the only thing HE does is to repost the club statement: http://www.devonlive.com/torquay-united ... story.html
Absolutely no editorial comment upon it at all, focusing upon Merse himself in the headline rather than upon the questions brought up by the article and the club's response, no line from DT whether he thinks the allegiations are true or not - instead focusing on the club's nonsense replies, no criticism of the utter lack of professionalism in the reply. I think the question is, how much have Gaming International paid the Herald Express to secure their silence and lack of investigation?
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

rickl wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:26 And the only thing HE does is to repost the club statement: http://www.devonlive.com/torquay-united ... story.html
DT's apple cart is firmly fixed to the ground
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I wonder if the Herald Express continue to turn the other cheek. It shows how far apart the likes of David Thomas and Guy Henderson are away from the general feeling of fans, wen Henderson stated in a recent Podcast that the fans would be relieved that the GI takeover had gone through.

Just what planet are the biscuit munchers on? Have the Herald, even if they simply want to report rather than investigate, ever mentioned how Gaming International NEVER build stadiums? How can this simple, easily researchable piece of information not been considered by them?

It is great that the national press has got hold of this and things have been stirred up a little. It puts the heat on GI and the Council, after the local press have given them such an easy ride. I remember the time when the Herald Express used to be on at the council all of the time but that was probably when it was a Lib Dem administration and they were acting at the behest of the local Tories.

Surely now, if what is essentially more of an online publication wants more 'click bait' they should be running this story for all it's worth. It would make better business sense for them and if they really are concerned with the local community, then it is their duty to safeguard elements of the town's history. But they don't. You only have to look at Oldway for that.

David Phillips can be interviewed on ITV, in his tennis gear, proclaiming how GI have saved the club, when really he sold this club down the river. He and Pete Masters blocked TUST at every turn, leading us to this.

And whilst on the subject of Masters, I still suspect he has a part to play in all of this somewhere.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:46 DT's apple cart is firmly fixed to the ground
Just read this. THomas is an affront to investigative journalism. He is either spineless or in the pocket of GI.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

hector wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:52 Just read this. THomas is an affront to investigative journalism. He is either spineless or in the pocket of GI.
Both!

The HE and DT have been bought.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

The truth will out.

Stinks the lot of It

Dave Thomas has lost my respect. Even if he just stuck up for gi
....but nothing ?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

GI, The Mayor and HE only need to hold out until the end of the season. After the players and supporters have dispersed, only then will we see the real damage to be inflicted on TUFC.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

6667GULL wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 11:56 Please be careful of making generalisations that sound like what they are, sound bites. I do get very pissed off with fans who don't live in Torbay slagging off the locals. Torbay has high unemployment and low income, many locals can't afford to go to football, but they do "care" about Torquay United.

Oh no I don't live in Torbay I live in Chudleigh.

However this is my 50th season watching the Gulls.

I stick to my 'generalisation/soundbite' that Torbay doesn't care.
Can I suggest that you leave sleepy Chudleigh, go into a Torquay pub after a match wearing your colours and see how many punters express an interest in the match and the club.

When people get to ask and know the people of Torbay do care. Of course this isn't helped, as posts on this thread are pointing out, by the complete lack of any information on the situation at the club in the local rag.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

hector wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 12:50 David Phillips can be interviewed on ITV, in his tennis gear, proclaiming how GI have saved the club, when really he sold this club down the river. He and Pete Masters blocked TUST at every turn, leading us to this.
I do wonder how ITV got that interview, it seemed almost like they ambushed Dave Phillips at the tennis courts. Why else would he appear in such a strange location in such a casual way? If it was an arranged interview and Phillips couldn't even be bothered to arrange a time for the interview outside of his high priority tennis game, then it shows how much he cares these days.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Have just read the piece on the HE website...

Dave Thomas...hang your head in shame...shame...shame...shame...shame...shame...shame...shame...shame...shame...shame...
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

SenorDingDong wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 13:23 I do wonder how ITV got that interview, it seemed almost like they ambushed Dave Phillips at the tennis courts. Why else would he appear in such a strange location in such a casual way?
I was told they 'got' the Mayor by adding it to a pre-arranged interview with him on a totally different subject and then threw the questions at him ~ GOTCHA!!!! :scarf:
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I've registered with Devon Live and have a comment ready to post but can't see how to do this.
Is it possible - or don't they want any contrary view I wonder.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

merse btpir wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 13:36 I was told they 'got' the Mayor by adding it to a pre-arranged interview with him on a totally different subject and then threw the questions at him ~ GOTCHA!!!! :scarf:
I confirmed that on 1 April on this very site:

"For those who like to read things into things, it may interest you to know that the interview with the mayor was sought to talk about the Tall Ships coming to the Bay this year; the question about GI/TUFC was just tacked onto the end of that."

Do keep up, Merse! =D
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

standupsitdown wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 13:41 I've registered with Devon Live and have a comment ready to post but can't see how to do this.
Is it possible - or don't they want any contrary view I wonder.
Looks like they've disabled comments on the article! Sad!

Usually the comment box is at the bottom of the article but it's entirely missing from the article on the club's statement. Note also that the comments box is still there on the ''Torquay United in an awful situation' article, so this isn't a site wide thing, they've specifically done it on that article.

Shocking from the Herald Express, actively trying to stifle debate!