Guardian Article On Torquay

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

What the hell have I just read?!

I have just typed, deleted, and retyped many replies... I am going to remain professional as the OS should have done.

Well done Merse and the Guardian for waving the flag to the people that pushed doubts to the side or felt GI needed to be given a chance. You guys did what the Herald hid away from. We are true fans and we want answers that aren't wishy washy and blatant lies.

May I also remind the club that ITV recently ran a report informing they tried on numerous occasions to contact the club for comment but no reply. Yes investigate the bloody phone system and emails server, think you will find the problem is the user in the seat.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Very good Louis
Good point...would they have responded anyhow....
Just a way to try smoke over osborne and his rotton agenda.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Louis wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 23:23May I also remind the club that ITV recently ran a report informing they tried on numerous occasions to contact the club for comment but no reply. Yes investigate the bloody phone system and emails server, think you will find the problem is the user in the seat.
Good point, Louis. The Swindon equivalent of the HE recently had this to say regarding the fact that Swindon Robins will now not move into a new stadia this season despite having a farewell meeting in 2015 to the old stadium:

"Gaming International Limited, the owners of the Abbey Stadium site, have not responded to approaches about the stadium delay from the Swindon Advertiser".

The issuing of statements by Osborne followed by either being unavailable for comment or unable to get hold of him/Stadia UK was most certainly reported in the case of the demolished stadium in Reading. Maybe the same happened in Bristol and Milton Keynes.

As CPGull and others point out, they didn't address the bit in the Guardian/Observer article about promising new stadia and not delivering them when penning tonight's cringeworthy rant. Why would they? That speaks volumes. Note also that we now appear to have, perhaps for purposes of correction, a cast iron intention to build rather than the absolute guarantee of a stadium to move into at the point of leaving Plainmoor, that the HE attributed to Osborne last week.
Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

I'm pleased, if nothing else, GI, Osborne, RSL cannot go about under the radar now. The initial article was good, but it's mainly come from TUFC and the cringeworthy reply.

Unintentionally could this take pressure off the team tomorrow? I mean, the fans inside Plainmoor will be united much more. Hopefully the players can perform without the pressure there would have been until the official reply

No hiding place now Osborne. People are onto you!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Rjc70 wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 00:04 Note also that we now appear to have, perhaps for purposes of correction, a cast iron intention to build rather than the absolute guarantee of a stadium to move into at the point of leaving Plainmoor, that the HE attributed to Osborne last week.
Thanks for pointing this out Rjc - two powerful words - intention and guarantee - for what you put after each of them shapes the reality.

Guarantee:- provide a formal (written) assurance that certain conditions will be fulfilled relating to a transaction.

Intention:- what one intends to do or bring about; the object for which a prayer is offered. (start praying boys and girls).
toastkid
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

This Merse fella sounds like a right idiot. Going to a national newspaper and trying to stir things up to distract the team from the job in hand and try to turn the fans against them. Idiot.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

toastkid wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 07:26 This Merse fella sounds like a right idiot. Going to a national newspaper and trying to stir things up to distract the team from the job in hand and try to turn the fans against them. Idiot.
In what way has this turned the fans against the team? Christ some of our fans are ridiculous. Have you not read the "clubs" response? Is that the kind of people you want running the place? Are you happy that we could be relegated to the Conference South today?

The article is actually perfectly timed in so much as it should, if we have enough fans who understand what is going on now, mean a very supportive crowd of the team, and a very anti the board atmosphere. Our chances of staying up are tiny, so it's better that there is some sort of protest against GI hole the season is still on and there are home games left to highlight it.

If the game today passes off with little protest, nothing for the media to latch on to, the the fan base will be guilty of letting GI get away with this, and it will be they who are the idiots, not Merse, who is trying against the odds to bring GI down.
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

I may not have been too approving of some of Alan Merson's postings earlier in the season regarding their accuracy ... BUT .. I offer my full congratulations to him for putting himself into the firing line and getting this informative article published..it is accurate as I too have a contact or two within the four walls!

Torbay is pretty much unaware of what is going on at Plainmoor and the local rag with its 'head in the sand (or up GI's arse)' reporters will do nothing to enlighten them, so this sort of action has to be applauded.

Well done Alan!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Jeez, you get the impression that some would rather sit and watch the world burn (or in this instance, the club fold) rather than do anything about it.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Tired Old Gull wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 07:50 I may not have been too approving of some of Alan Merson's postings earlier in the season regarding their accuracy ... BUT .. I offer my full congratulations to him for putting himself into the firing line and getting this informative article published..it is accurate as I too have a contact or two within the four walls!

Torbay is pretty much unaware of what is going on at Plainmoor and the local rag with its 'head in the sand (or up GI's arse)' reporters will do nothing to enlighten them, so this sort of action has to be applauded.

Well done Alan!
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Tired Old Gull wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 07:50 I may not have been too approving of some of Alan Merson's postings earlier in the season regarding their accuracy ... BUT .. I offer my full congratulations to him for putting himself into the firing line and getting this informative article published..it is accurate as I too have a contact or two within the four walls!

Well done Alan!
Completely agree. I've often read things posted by Alan Merson with which I've disagreed, usually quite strongly, but he's absolutely done and said all the right things in relation to that Guardian/Observer article. Torbay needs to see what is going on at Plainmoor and how the club is perilously close to being sold down the river. Kudos to Alan for raising his head above the parapet. That we cannot rely on the Herald to ask the right questions in relation to the club is a bloody disgrace.
TUST member 203
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Torbay doesn't care about Torquay United.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Torquay United's shambolic response

"The first quote from Mr Alan Merson, ... is to say ‘Torquay have players on their books earning £300 per week in a league where most of their peers are paid double that amount’. Unless Mr Merson has a secret camera inserted in the cub secretary office (another internal investigation required here), how would he know what our players earn? We obviously can’t divulge the details of individual contracts, other than to say the only people earning that figure or below are on non-contract terms, or very young professionals"

So Alan is correct then, we do have players on the books earning £300 per week ( he did not quote all players). Internal investigations, secret camera's! Really! It is no secret when the gaffer puts up on his Facebook page 'Torquay United players earn less than minimum wage' and subsequently splattered all over the media. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35145282

It is my opinion that whoever wrote the response has some form of 'Paranoid Personality Disorder'.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

6667GULL wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 08:31 Torbay doesn't care about Torquay United.
Which bit of Torbay "doesn't care"?

1) The Council? The Council isn't just one opinion, no doubt some don't care but others clearly do.
2) The residents? Some certainly don't care, some are actively hostile, but I can assure you that a good number of residents DO "care" about their local football club. You can't equate not attending regularly with "don't care", I don't go to see the Tics play rugby but I do "care" and want them to do well as I regard a decent rugby club as part of the fabric of a town.
3) The Mayor? Well, we shall see.
4) Visitors? Some football enthusiast go to the odd game, I am sure that they "care".
5) Exiles, who had to leave Devon to find work? Plenty of them care.

Please be careful of making generalisations that sound like what they are, sound bites. I do get very pissed off with fans who don't live in Torbay slagging off the locals. Torbay has high unemployment and low income, many locals can't afford to go to football, but they do "care" about Torquay United.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

toastkid wrote: 17 Apr 2017, 07:26 This Merse fella sounds like a right idiot. Going to a national newspaper and trying to stir things up to distract the team from the job in hand and try to turn the fans against them. Idiot.
Are you taking the piss? Merse is sometimes a difficult bugger, but he certainly isn't trying to turn the fans against the TEAM! Maybe you are joking, but it didn't come over well. Fans need to wake up to what is being done to their club.