If it aint broke - don't fix it ...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
OrpingtonGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

If it aint broke - don't fix it ...

Post by OrpingtonGull »

Was at Lincoln for our match yesterday ...

If the team are playing well, and giving a superb performance, with no apparent problems, and winning at the top club, then wouldnt it be a good idea for Nicho to NOT make any substitution, until there is an obvious need to do so.

If the starting 11 are doing fantastic, as they were, then please let them continue.

My gut feeling is that Nicho could have left the starting 11 to continue as we were winning 1-0. They scored immediately after our first substitution.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Substitutions are usually made too little, too late. And now this one. Can't really put it down to managerial inexperience any more. On the other hand, whether or not there was a good reason for that sub at that particular time, it was the players, not Nicho, who gave the game away, as they have done in a number of other games, though we could not have expected them to pick up any points away to the top team in the League. But there are three games left still to be won, and I'm putting a little bet on them to achieve another great escape..
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

just not good enough, they will send us down, know way we will get max points from the games left. I just don't think we are good enough to escape this time, we have no leaders in this team.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

OrpingtonGull wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 15:18 Was at Lincoln for our match yesterday ...

If the team are playing well, and giving a superb performance, with no apparent problems, and winning at the top club, then wouldnt it be a good idea for Nicho to NOT make any substitution, until there is an obvious need to do so.

If the starting 11 are doing fantastic, as they were, then please let them continue.

My gut feeling is that Nicho could have left the starting 11 to continue as we were winning 1-0. They scored immediately after our first substitution.
If you look at my previous post I've been trying to get this across to people we seem to be doing ok then NICHO decide he knows better and hand the opposition the game. Nicho needs experience the problem whilst he's learning we are going down because of it. HE WILL ONLY LEARN IF HE REALIZE HIS MISTAKES AND HE HAS NOT UP TO NOW. :goodpost:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

OrpingtonGull wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 15:18 Was at Lincoln for our match yesterday ...

The issue with this thread, and that's not knocking you. Is that to state this after 43 games of the season is TBH, 43 games too late. It needed fixing after the opening match against Macclesfield, we where woeful that day. And regrettably the trend continued
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

NICHO is inexperienced and should have left well alone as the players were motivated to win he took it away from them as in other games.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Personally, whilst I do sympathise with Nicho , his working conditions have not be good, and made worse by the new ownership, and I do believe his management of the squad/team has been nothing short of abysmal, on this subject I back Nicho.

The problem managers have what ever the level, when it comes to substitutions they often can not win, they're damned if they, damned if they don't, had Nicho left well alone, and say Lathrope tired, leading to Lincoln scoring, we'd have still given Nicho pelters, of course we'll never know, because he did change it.

The point is, he (Nicho) felt to hold onto the lead a change was needed, but it didn't work for him, the other week, us fans were slagging him off because he was only ever reacting to situations.
Formerly known as forevertufc
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

If Nicho hadn't changed anything yesterday and not done anything, you'd all have been harping on about how he didn't have the foresight to refresh tired legs and make changes ahead of time (as people have been complaining all season), and don't you pretend any different.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

madgull wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 21:10 If Nicho hadn't changed anything yesterday and not done anything, you'd all have been harping on about how he didn't have the foresight to refresh tired legs and make changes ahead of time (as people have been complaining all season), and don't you pretend any different.
:goodpost:

exactly - damned if you do, damned if you dont
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

This is bloody nonsense. We have the most vital game of the season on Monday and the habitual moaners are out like moths at a light ( and with as much purpose ) because we lost at the league leaders. For God sake let's get behind the team and the managers. I just have a feeling we are due a slice of luck.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Many managers would have brought on an extra defender in these circumstances. There are pros & cons (it helps defend but also invites the opposition to attack and makes holding the ball harder) but it is a very common move to make so I don't think we can blame Nicholson for rash management. Maybe he took the wrong player off but these are very marginal decisions. There are far greater problems in the club to worry about.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I might be wrong but looking at the footage I think it was McGinty who brought about the winning free kick.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

nickbrod wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 21:31 I might be wrong but looking at the footage I think it was McGinty who brought about the winning free kick.
And Lincoln's horrible number 9 Rheid who got away with standing in front of Moore so he couldn't see to line up the wall. Sad that a team like Lincoln choose to resort to such gamesmanship and taking the ball to the corner flag to run down the clock - but maybe that's why they're going up.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

standupsitdown wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 21:40 And Lincoln's horrible number 9 Rheid who got away with standing in front of Moore so he couldn't see to line up the wall. Sad that a team like Lincoln choose to resort to such gamesmanship and taking the ball to the corner flag to run down the clock - but maybe that's why they're going up.
Oh get over it with your 'horrible number 9' and being winners.....it's everything our team is not and if you had been there to see the immediate and damaging effect that substitution had on the team and the balance of the game you would appreciate where I am coming from.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Poor and inept management plus hopeless player recruitment with the "top half budget" back last year would be likely reasons why the club are dipping down into new territory.