TUFC TV - CLARKE OSBORNE

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yes, kind of my point ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Did i hear Dave Thomas correct today when he said Keating is not being paid. IF this is right what a disgrace. is Osborne including him as one of the signings that has happened since they took over?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

MellowYellow wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 11:33 I'm led to believe that stomach ulcers may be caused by certain lifestyle factors, such as spicy foods, stress and alcohol.
That was once the theory, and the drug companies made nice profits from its perpetuation, controlling the symptoms rather than treating the cause. However, it has been known for 20-25 years that ulcers are caused by a bug called Helicobacter Pylori, which is present in practically everyone's guts, but in some people gets out of control and overpopulates the digestive system, thus stimulating the production of excess acid by the gall bladder, hence the ulcers. These days the condition is usually easily treated with a course of antibiotics. If left untreated, a patient could end up in hospital.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

The Council are being duplicitous!

Read this in conjunction with the attached link; it is important and vital that ALL: supporters understand that the ducking and diving within the council is indicative of their age old alliances with business and commerce rather than the man in the street......

"It was a mixture of surprise and disappointment to first discover the Mayor’s plan to make a decision on the disposal of the freehold after an entry was put into the council’s Forward Plan and NOT through any formal communication with TUST, the local ACV nominating group." 

http://thelondonlabia.proboards.com/thr ... ead?page=4
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

merse btpir wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 11:49 The Council are being duplicitous!

Read this in conjunction with the attached link; it is important and vital that ALL: supporters understand that the ducking and diving within the council is indicative of their age old alliances with business and commerce rather than the man in the street......

"It was a mixture of surprise and disappointment to first discover the Mayor’s plan to make a decision on the disposal of the freehold after an entry was put into the council’s Forward Plan and NOT through any formal communication with TUST, the local ACV nominating group." 

http://thelondonlabia.proboards.com/thr ... ead?page=4
Following the O&S meeting last month (from which the public were excluded for two items, although there were no members of the public left by then), I alerted Michael to the fact that officers of the council appeared to be 'playing fast and loose' with definitions around the acv the Trust holds on Plainmoor. I had hoped that it was just my interpretation of what I had been told went on at that meeting. Unhappily, it appears not.

The situation remains: it is still the mayor's decision.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, and it does not diminish my support for the Trust and the work it is doing, but I do not want the Trust to own Plainmoor, either. While I have no doubt that we can trust Michael and his current colleagues, who's to say who might be running the Trust years down the line, or who would be the members? Might not they decide they want to make a few bob for themselves, and flog Plainmoor then?

I believe the best way forward for our club is for the council to continue to own Plainmoor on behalf of the whole community.

Edited to add: I have no objection whatsoever to the Trust owning the club. Different thing entirely, and an aim I support in the longer term.
Last edited by Soupdragon on 10 Apr 2017, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

To clarify, and for those who don't receive it, here is Michael's April TUST newsletter:

Dear Member,

The Asset of Community Value (ACV) was put in place to give supporters transparency and influence over the future of our home, exactly the circumstance we now find ourselves in today.

As the original author of the ACV, supported by Supporters Direct, I made particular effort to ensure the land known as Plainmoor was protected.  This involved specific reference to the Land Registry and aerial photographs outlining the land area being registered. 

It was a mixture of surprise and disappointment to first discover the Mayor’s plan to make a decision on the disposal of the freehold after an entry was put into the council’s Forward Plan and NOT through any formal communication with TUST, the local ACV nominating group. 

That disappointment turned to disbelief when, after concerted lobbying by TUST, we met with Torbay Council officers who informed us that following legal advice they had concluded that the ACV had been registered against the LEASE and not the Freehold, effectively making the ACV redundant and freeing the council from its obligations under the legislation. 

To date I have not received any formal notice of this interpretation and I have not received any evidence to justify the council’s position regarding the ACV. 

The absence of unlimited access to publicly funded legal advice has meant clarification of the validity of the council’s position in relation to the ACV has taken longer than I would have wanted, but the advice I have received vindicates the original ACV and questions the council’s interpretation.

Following on from that advice I have now contacted the Department of Communities and Local Government to establish the status of the ACV that could result in a challenge if it can be proven that the council have not acted within the confines of the legislation.

Regardless of the stance taken by Torbay Council, TUST have continued to lobby hard to make sure that the concerns of supporters are understood by all, and I take this opportunity to thank all the supporters who have actively campaigned against any decision to dispose of the freehold without proper consultation.

As things currently stand there has been NO consultation and NO formal approach by the club owners to Torbay Council to request a decision of disposal of the freehold.

The absence of any proof of the argument that ownership of the freehold is “fundamental” to ongoing investment in the club puts me in mind of the small print of any mortgage or secured loan … your home is at risk if you don’t keep up the payments!

Kind Regard ...

Michael ...
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

If the mayor does the dirty and sells out Plainmoor, I hope that supporters would contribute to a fund to take legal action against the bastard on whatever basis a decent firm of lawyers can find. Mayors have to act within the law, and we must make sure that he does this to the letter.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 13:53 If the mayor does the dirty and sells out Plainmoor, I hope that supporters would contribute to a fund to take legal action against the bastard on whatever basis a decent firm of lawyers can find. Mayors have to act within the law, and we must make sure that he does this to the letter.
But he would be acting within the law to sell Plainmoor to GI. It's a mayoral decision under the council's constitution.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Soupdragon wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 14:00 But he would be acting within the law to sell Plainmoor to GI. It's a mayoral decision under the council's constitution.
I accept that he has certain powers, but my point remains that he has to act within the law to the letter. Powers granted to Local Authorities are not unlimited, and a decent lawyer may be able to find holes in actions taken. The way that the ACV is being treated is a case in point. I am not a lawyer, and not trying to be a barrack room lawyer, but I do know that the use of administrative powers at local level is a legal minefield.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

No wonder Osborne looked so smug during that interview.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Guys.. as a avid fan who follows this site every day and supports my team when I can...can I ask 2 simple questions

1 when is this mayor decision being made

2 if he says no approach has been made , then how can he make a decision.

3 simply what can we do to voice our opinions
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

S4fedr1ve wrote: 08 Apr 2017, 20:01Did i hear Dave Thomas correct today when he said Keating is not being paid. IF this is right what a disgrace. is Osborne including him as one of the signings that has happened since they took over?
I had it first hand from the manager that Keating had paid his own air fare and was playing for nothing in an attempt to showcase himself as part of a discussion we were having regarding other such young hopefuls who would be worth taking in and having a look at during which it became apparent that there is very little or even nothing in the budget to take a punt on such talent.

I'm assuming Keating is being put up in the Lodge or at the Grosvenor as part of the mutual sponsorship deal that was struck just before Christmas and saw the club's Christmas Party being held there.

I don't regard this as a disgrace as it is quite common practice around the lower leagues with young lads desperate to make a name for themselves.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

In the the TUST update Michael says he made every effort to protect "the land known as plainmoor" including reference to the land registry.
However according to the Torbay council website the asset is registered as plainmoor stadium; that is only the thing that stands on the land known as plainmoor.
Either a council employee has not done his job properly or Michael has been stitched up.
Unless there is a legal case to answer saying the council did not do their duty properly when registering the asset then it looks like we have been done.

Incidently I thought the stadium belonged to the club, they just leased the land on which it stood. If this is the case how could Torbay council register the stadium as an asset when it does not belong to the council.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

merse btpir wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 16:26 I had it first hand from the manager that Keating had paid his own air fare and was playing for nothing in an attempt to showcase himself as part of a discussion we were having regarding other such young hopefuls who would be worth taking in and having a look at during which it became apparent that there is very little or even nothing in the budget to take a punt on such talent.

I'm assuming Keating is being put up in the Lodge or at the Grosvenor as part of the mutual sponsorship deal that was struck just before Christmas and saw the club's Christmas Party being held there.

I don't regard this as a disgrace as it is quite common practice around the lower leagues with young lads desperate to make a name for themselves.
Well all credit to Keating, although this sounds like internship. Never the less he has done well and I hope he gets a proper contract with somebody soon.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 15:07 Guys.. as a avid fan who follows this site every day and supports my team when I can...can I ask 2 simple questions

1 when is this mayor decision being made

2 if he says no approach has been made , then how can he make a decision.

3 simply what can we do to voice our opinions
Er ....... that's THREE questions !! ;-)
1. According to the 'Let's Have the Facts Only' thread, the mayor is supposed to be considering his decision at a meeting on the 26th April - three days before what will probably be a crucial last match of the season.
2. That's exactly the question I've been asking myself - if there's been no approach, how can he make a decision (unless it's a general decision on Council-owned land that is appropriate for disposal - several sites have already been earmarked for disposal).
3. Many of us, and TUST, have already written to the Mayor and/or relevant councillors to express our concerns. There's also a useful contact list for councillors and the mayor on the 'Facts only' thread.

Hope this helps !