TUFC on ITV Westcountry (Video on Page 4)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

SenorDingDong wrote: 30 Mar 2017, 19:01 I asked those first three questions to further emphasise them and added a further two (although I think stable L1 is our absolute peak potential). If he's going to answer questions, might as well take advantage of it to make him aware of the fanbase's views, that we're not going to be taken for a ride and to try and squeeze some more info out of him, even if he'll probably just answer in vague business speak.

:goodpost:

My other two questions were:

1. Why has GI failed to have stadiums built in Swindon, Milton Keynes and Reading (Speedway), had an aborted run at a stadium in Bristol and evicted Bristol Rovers from their stadium in the late 80s, almost killing the club in the process, rather than working with them to help them through their problems? Why should the fans have confidence in GI delivering a new stadium for Torquay United given their past track record?

2. I think a large number of fans recognise that relocation to a new stadium holds potential for the Gulls, the unlocking of new revenue streams though assets such as conferencing facilities, attached sporting facilities for hire, concerts, an on site high quality bar or restaurant, housing development on the same site etc. Many semi-pro teams in the National League survive and even surpass Torquay United thanks to these facilities despite having smaller average attendances, closer to home Exeter Chiefs are a fantastic example of how a move to a new stadium with greater revenue streams can turn around a club around. This all makes sense when it is the club that is benefiting from these incomes streams. My question for you Clarke Osborne, is how will this benefit Torquay United if GI takes the profit from these ancillary revenue streams to recoup it's investment and Torquay United is turned into a rent paying anchor tenant, seeing none of the benefit from the new stadium and losing it's preferential rental agreement with Torbay Council?
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Talk on BTPIR that GI are trying to stop the TUFC segment being broadcast by ITV tomorrow.

Things are certainly getting interesting..
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Please can someone local to torquay area, get this uploaded to the forum when shown. It would appear GI didn't anticipate such a battle. FFS all they had to do in the short term, was to strengthen the team to get us safe. This would have changed opinions and almost certainly in the short term avoided the rumours and negativity.
Lucy
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

lucy6lucy wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 02:48...... all they had to do in the short term, was to strengthen the team to get us safe. This would have changed opinions and almost certainly in the short term avoided the rumours and negativity.
If you're of a 'spudjacket' mentality quite possibly; but to anyone with half a brain, nothing that happens on the pitch has much relevance to what is happening between the owner and the council.

It is the manipulation of the masses swayed by the last thirty second piece of sound bight that is at the root of most of the social and econonomic deprivation that we as a society endure in this day and age. I call it the 'Sun reader' mentality; please let's rise above that!
Magpiegull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Magpiegull »

Definitely on ITV West Country NOW
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Great report ITV, that should shake a few feathers!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Only caught the end of Dave Phillips speaking but the mayor said he has had no contact with GI about the freehold.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

Reckon it will be on ITV player for those who no longer live in the motherland?!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 08:16 If you're of a 'spudjacket' mentality quite possibly; but to anyone with half a brain, nothing that happens on the pitch has much relevance to what is happening between the owner and the council.

It is the manipulation of the masses swayed by the last thirty second piece of sound bight that is at the root of most of the social and econonomic deprivation that we as a society endure in this day and age. I call it the 'Sun reader' mentality; please let's rise above that!
What? Reading the 'Financial Times' does not maketh opinion valid. I happen to agree with Lucy on this one - GI have done themselves no favours.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

merse btpir wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 08:16 If you're of a 'spudjacket' mentality quite possibly; but to anyone with half a brain, nothing that happens on the pitch has much relevance to what is happening between the owner and the council.

I specifically said short term for a reason. New signings would have been great fully received by the fans, thus showing contempt/hope from the owners. Spud jacket? Jacket potato where I live
Lucy
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

lucy6lucy wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 19:23 I specifically said short term for a reason. New signings would have been great fully received by the fans, thus showing contempt/hope from the owners. Spud jacket? Jacket potato where I live
:lol:
Potato in their jackets anyone?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

kevgull wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 18:13 Great report ITV, that should shake a few feathers!
Kevgull - Care to give a summary on the report and why it would shake a few feathers? No everyone will have seen it.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

I missed it but hoping they will do a rerun at 11pm (set to record but its a 15min slot compared to 30min from earlier).
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Hi Mellow,

There was a 1 minute interview with a TUST member who enquired as to why GI were so interested in the covenant on plaimoor.

There was mention of the lack of investment and why no Loan signings has been made whilst the club was in such a perilous league position.

The ITV commentator Geoff Welsh (?) mentioned that he had repeatedly ask for an interview but no contact could be made with RSL. He came across very frustrated and perplexed.

There was an interview with the Mayor, he mentioned that there had been no contact with GI.

The overall tone of the piece was " Get your finger out of your arse and make contact with the fans and media before we start to fear your intentions for TUFC"

Just my take on it you understand.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

AlexGulls wrote: 31 Mar 2017, 18:17 Only caught the end of Dave Phillips speaking but the mayor said he has had no contact with GI about the freehold.
Perfectly true; the contact with 'the council' will have been through Kevin Mowatt, and Liam Montgomery of the Torbay Development Agency (which is an 'arm's length' subsidiary of the council, ie; it's all still paid for by yours and my tax).

For those who like to read things into things, it may interest you to know that the interview with the mayor was sought to talk about the Tall Ships coming to the Bay this year; the question about GI/TUFC was just tacked onto the end of that.