The truth is out should Nicholson be sacked

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

The truth is out should Nicholson be sacked

Yes
6%
No
94%

Total votes: 66

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Never mind, I had reason to ask why back then (low poll votes) but as they are hugely outnumbered now it's not such a debate.

I don't post much because I'm usually working under the bonnet, but when I post it's as me not as an admin.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Lets be honest the squad has not been good enough all season bar for a couple of good results over Christmas but it's shown that the players are good enough when a big game comes around and a lot of this is down to motivation. The motivation for the last few results has probably come from the saga with Harrop and pulled all the players together which we've not seen during games for a long time.

Nicho has got to look at this it's against the poor sides we don't perform.
No it was not me but at times it could have been anyone who has watched the games this season.
Problems behind the scenes the manager has got to deal with and yes he has had more than most.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 30 Mar 2017, 15:48 It looks intimidating because under Louis's name is a bloody big red sign that says administrator. Now I don't know Louis from Adam and he may be a perfectly nice guy, but that post gives the impression that he is policing the forum.
I think the "please" tells a different story to yours but diversity of opinion makes a forum I guess.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

What I find puzzling is this:

The club do not appear to like Nicholson and are making his job as hard as possible. But why was he not sacked after the Guisley game? It could have been done then with little outcry. That it wasn't suggests GI couldn't line up a replacement. It also suggests that Harrop is not in the running for the manager's job because he could have been given it then.

All that suggests that GI will replace nicholson in the summer. But we all seem convinced that GI want to kill the club, so why bother to replace him, just let him wind his contract down, give him **** all money to work with and watch the club slowly die.

If Nicholson is replaced surely that person taking the job is expecting to be able to produce a competitive team. None of this makes any sense.

In my opinion I think Nico has managed to create a bunker mentality with the team, possibly helped by their sympathy for him. Last season he managed something similar. But it also suggests that he has trouble motivating a team without a looming crisis to focus on.

Nico will not be sacked before the end of the season, that is certain. If GI want to kill the club as many think they do it does not matter who the manager is, and that is why I don't understand their treatment of Nico.

If Nico is replaced in the summer as seems likely, I don't understand what sort of manager would come in knowing the club is to be destroyed, it would be a huge stain on that persons CV. You see none of this makes sense.

If I was GI and I was looking to kill the club I would just have appointed Harrop manager and have done with it. GI had the chance to do this and didn't.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

I still haven't voted but if the poll question was as follows:

Should Nico be sacked before the end of the season - NO

Should Nico be in charge next season - NO
Last edited by Plainmoor78 on 30 Mar 2017, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I agree with Tomogulls post, the team is worse than its individual players. I would like to see Nicho given
an improved budget and given til Christmas to see what he can do but its not going to happen it sounds like
He has made some good signings, notably Sparkes, McGinty, an improving and decent defender,
no not a ball playing centre back, you dont get many of those at this level. Brendan Moore, best keeper we have
had for a long time and some good loanees eg Fitzpatrick, Hodgkiss,Keating, Moore but he hasnt got the team
to really compete consistently and gel and improve as the season has gone on as he thought would happen
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Harrop is related to Osbourne so I read on the forum so perhaps Osbourne is keeping him safe and to sack Nicholson would cost an arm and a leg so I expect they are trying to make his life hell at Plainmoor if we are to believe all we read.Hoping(Nicho will walk away.) Masters is still the dark horse in all of this and if they don't get the land will Masters will be there waiting.

THIS IS ONLY A THOUGHT.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I would rather it was Smurthwaite heading this way
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

desperado wrote: 30 Mar 2017, 17:01 I agree with Tomogulls post, the team is worse than its individual players. I would like to see Nicho given
an improved budget and given til Christmas to see what he can do but its not going to happen it sounds like
He has made some good signings, notably Sparkes, McGinty, an improving and decent defender,
no not a ball playing centre back, you dont get many of those at this level. Brendan Moore, best keeper we have
had for a long time and some good loanees eg Fitzpatrick, Hodgkiss,Keating, Moore but he hasnt got the team
to really compete consistently and gel and improve as the season has gone on as he thought would happen
If you assess the games we've lost at home, at 60mins we are in the game then subs are made and we lose in tight games. Nicho has made some bad decisions he tries to win a game to early in tight games instead of realizing the team has reached it's maximum and except a point or gamble the last ten minutes for a win. This in my opinion has happened several times this season.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

You san say please SG and still appear demanding. Like the teacher who says to the child 'please put that book away'. AS you and Louis are administrators you should have a more tolerant approach to views that are not in accordance with yours.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Plainmoor78 »

arcadia wrote: 30 Mar 2017, 17:09 Harrop is related to Osbourne so I read on the forum so perhaps Osbourne is keeping him safe and to sack Nicholson would cost an arm and a leg so I expect they are trying to make his life hell at Plainmoor if we are to believe all we read.Hoping(Nicho will walk away.) Masters is still the dark horse in all of this and if they don't get the land will Masters will be there waiting.

THIS IS ONLY A THOUGHT.
Plausible point of view, however it would only cost six months wages to sack Nicholson and I would have thought GI could easily manage that. Also I believe Nicholson is not all that highly paid.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Actually I think it's you that was showing a distinct lack of tolerance, Louis was totally innocent of the accusations you levelled against him whereas you were attacking him personally and deliberately.

I have no problem with anyone talking to me in a plain and forceful manner, that's how I am.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Very torn on this, Nicholson has not done brilliantly this season and those Sutton/Guiseley games were amongst the most dire I've seen in a decade and a a half of watching the club. I was all for him being sacked after those matches despite his community work.

This being said he has been undermined ever since GI arrived, had one of his few decent players (Blisset) sold and not replaced, he was then given nothing to turn around the club with on deadline day and he's a great guy as a person/what he does for the club. As a result I'm 55/45 that he should stay.

My mind still hasn't been changed in terms of his suitability for the job when he was appointed and his general performance over this season, GI have made it worse, but other more suitable 'Conference experienced' managers wouldn't have had us anywhere near the drop zone, thus failing to create the situation in the first place where we required deadline day reinforcements.
Last edited by SenorDingDong on 30 Mar 2017, 19:44, edited 3 times in total.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Sesimbra wrote: 30 Mar 2017, 18:17 You san say please SG and still appear demanding. Like the teacher who says to the child 'please put that book away'. AS you and Louis are administrators you should have a more tolerant approach to views that are not in accordance with yours.
I thought for a moment you were talking about Clarke Osborne 'still appear demanding' ... 'have a more tolerant approach' . Then I realised you were speaking about two top blokes who put their own free time into administering this forum so we can enjoy 'free speech' for all (including administrators).

I don't know either of them , but in the time I have been on this forum I have never seen them curtail people's viewpoints and take this opportunity to thank them for all their efforts
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

KNs squad budget for this season was hampered by the complete balls up off under valueing the season tickets prices. I guess cash flow is everything when you are on the brink of Administration.

Our problems were then compounded by bringing in some loan players who were clearly not up to National League standard football.

Saying that, a manager is always judged on his results and we found ourselves in an unforgivable position given last years Great Escape.

On the earlier Poll I voted for KN to be sacked as my only source of information was what I had witnessed on the terraces.

I called for a Back me or Bin me decision from the Chairman. However what I witnessed was a complete stitch up of the kind that I have never seen at Plainmoor before. Thanks to Merse and Dave what I learned made me seething.

In football it's not always about the Dog in the fight, sometimes you need the fight in the Dog. Recently KN has got this squad playing out of their skins despite being handcuffed by the Director and his Crony.

My informed decision now is to back KN no matter what the outcome of this season.

And a bit like EUs approach to Brexit:
Let's have the new Stadium built before talking of any future sale of Plainmoor.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: