Club Update

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Club Update

Post by DevonYellow »

http://mobile.torquayunited.com//news/a ... 47340.aspx

The club have obviously picked up on the growing discontent and released the above statement.

Forum to come...will they keep the promise?

Doesn't tell us a great deal just to carry on waiting and no mention at all of the threat of relegation.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

interesting, and as you say, prompted by the groundswell of negative opinion on social media.
no mention of the playing side, the valiant effort that nicho and the team appear to finally be making, recruitment or the point of geoff harrop, but its a start. hopefully we'll still be above the drop zone when the easter forum happens?
still keeping the faith
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

It's more smoke and mirrors from GI to keep those that just wanted a little news happy, whilst still proceeding to leave Torquay united without a home and make huge profits at the clubs expense.

No change from me, we still need to be 100% in our actions against GI getting the freehold of Plainmoor!!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

It's like the kind of note I get from my boss if he's in a bad mood, not the kind of message you'd expect someone who talks about engaging with fans to put on the website for keeping fans engaged.

I really thought these guys would be more business savvy.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Here's a quote from Osborne's statement:

"We remain in discussions with Torbay Council to explore the possibility of the purchase of the freehold of the Plainmoor ground. There are a number of issues to be resolved (including contractual and financial terms) before this can be considered by a full Council committee (which will be fully disclosed and within the public arena). This will be fully and openly debated at the appropriate time."

It shows that he doesn't understand the way it works, either.

PDDG is NOT a 'full council committee', just - in effect - a cabinet meeting.

A number of things can happen at PDDG: the mayor makes a decision; or the mayor sends it to full council to debate and make a recommendation (under the constitution, it's a mayoral decision, so full council can only recommend a course of action to the mayor, not decide).

Whatever the mayor decides, other councillors can 'call it in' ie: challenge it, and the LibDems most certainly will do that. So, if the mayor makes a decision to sell, we still have an escape route. A small one, but significant.

If the mayor makes a decision NOT to sell, you can bet that other councillors will NOT call it in because of the popular feeling against this (there's an election in two years; they'll be starting to think of that). They'll be happy that (a) the mayor made the decision so he gets all the blame and (b) they can snipe about him if it all goes t1ts up. Shallow or what, eh?
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Soupdragon wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 08:59 Here's a quote from Osborne's statement:

"We remain in discussions with Torbay Council to explore the possibility of the purchase of the freehold of the Plainmoor ground. There are a number of issues to be resolved (including contractual and financial terms) before this can be considered by a full Council committee (which will be fully disclosed and within the public arena). This will be fully and openly debated at the appropriate time."

It shows that he doesn't understand the way it works, either.

PDDG is NOT a 'full council committee', just - in effect - a cabinet meeting.

A number of things can happen at PDDG: the mayor makes a decision; or the mayor sends it to full council to debate and make a recommendation (under the constitution, it's a mayoral decision, so full council can only recommend a course of action to the mayor, not decide).

Whatever the mayor decides, other councillors can 'call it in' ie: challenge it, and the LibDems most certainly will do that. So, if the mayor makes a decision to sell, we still have an escape route. A small one, but significant.

If the mayor makes a decision NOT to sell, you can bet that other councillors will NOT call it in because of the popular feeling against this (there's an election in two years; they'll be starting to think of that). They'll be happy that (a) the mayor made the decision so he gets all the blame and (b) they can snipe about him if it all goes t1ts up. Shallow or what, eh?
Thank you for the posts Soupdragon, very much appreciated!. Gee you know your stuff :)
TUST MEMBER
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Words, more words and empty promises.
Focused on owning the ground.
No mention of supporting the manager or attempting strengthening the squad.
No mention of helping TUFC avoid relegation.

A statement intended to placate the noises coming from Social media as any bad press might scupper his own ambitions.

Pathetic
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 09:13 Words, more words and empty promises.
Focused on owning the ground.
No mention of supporting the manager or attempting strengthening the squad.
No mention of helping TUFC avoid relegation.

A statement intended to placate the noises coming from Social media as any bad press might scupper his own ambitions.

Pathetic
Well said Kevgull. Sums it up nicely - and saved me posting the same!
More bullsh1t from Osborne.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Given Osborne's lack of knowledge in the field of football I suppose it is to be expected that this "Club update" sounds much more like an update to shareholders than it does to fans of a football club. It is hardly a rallying call to supporters and the wider community to get behind Nicho and the team and beat the drop now is it!!!!! He (Osborne) just doesn't get football and the passion people have for it - as long as we get the "shiny new stadium" is all that matters to him and his cronies ... so it really doesn't matter what "League" we are in!

I guess if anything comments on the "football" side of things should be coming from Geoff Harrop but when you hear that his most recent comment on developments at TUFC are "NO COMMENT" I guess we shouldn't be surprised! In fact, given that he has been in the job two months now have we actually heard anything at all from him of any note? NO COMMENT!
GullatPlainmoor
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by GullatPlainmoor »

Totally agree with Kevgull.
I posted saying give these guys a chance despite their bad history when they took over - well that chance has been well and truly blown by their TOTAL failure to provide what ever it takes to get players in to keep us in this league! They have no interest in supporting the football club whatsoever.
Money is no object to them but income from the gates should be a paramount concern of theirs if they were genuine, so even on a financial decision, if they wanted to keep the football club with sustainable income while building a larger fan base to move to a better ground; it is a NO BRAINER that they needed to spend a tiny amount of their vast wealth to keep the team up. Why would they rather spend that on a 'no comment' general manager and scout..... who got no one in when we really needed it. It does not make footballing sense at all!
As they did not provide funds to get players, I do not see any going back from us fans in viewing them as pure devious, uncaring, property developers, quite happy to let the club drop, lose most of the fan base, be unsustainable and then..... well there is not much of a team to want the ground anyway is there?
Complete b******s and I do not know how they can sleep at night!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

We had hoped to be at a more advanced stage of delivery across various areas by this time, however our progress has been frustrated by a number of internal issues following the change of ownership, which have proved both difficult and time-consuming.

What internal issues? There's only Harrop running around like a headless chicken berating Nicholson.

Sounds remarkably like they are getting all the excuses out ready........................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

CP Gull wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 09:54 Given Osborne's lack of knowledge in the field of football I suppose it is to be expected that this "Club update" sounds much more like an update to shareholders than it does to fans of a football club. It is hardly a rallying call to supporters and the wider community to get behind Nicho and the team and beat the drop now is it!!!!! He (Osborne) just doesn't get football and the passion people have for it - as long as we get the "shiny new stadium" is all that matters to him and his cronies ... so it really doesn't matter what "League" we are in!

I guess if anything comments on the "football" side of things should be coming from Geoff Harrop but when you hear that his most recent comment on developments at TUFC are "NO COMMENT" I guess we shouldn't be surprised! In fact, given that he has been in the job two months now have we actually heard anything at all from him of any note? NO COMMENT!
He doesn't like being called fat and he doesn't like it when people ignore his lame threats. Other than that it's business as usual for the Weeble.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

We would like an update on the work our Recruit manager had taken to secure out ghost signings last week?

We would also like an update on the budget given to this newly appointed scout?

Could Harrop also inform us as to why these signing were not made?

Please could our Chairman come onto the pitch just before the Chester game or at 1/2 time and give us all a rallying cry?

If he's not able to do this could he please just stand there silently for 1 minute so that we can all show our
thanks for his loyalty to TUFC.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

After weeks of silence in which the club has sunk further into trouble and have failed to try to protect itself against relegation through investment I think a statement coming from the owner (and Chairman!) of Torquay United Football Club which fails to mention the word 'football' once within it says everything it needs to about their intentions!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

:goodpost:
Richinns wrote: 29 Mar 2017, 11:02 After weeks of silence in which the club has sunk further into trouble and have failed to try to protect itself against relegation through investment I think a statement coming from the owner (and Chairman!) of Torquay United Football Club which fails to mention the word 'football' once within it says everything it needs to about their intentions!