Let's have the Facts ONLY please.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

So did I and about the same time too!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

standupsitdown wrote: 02 Apr 2017, 22:24 So did I and about the same time too!
A Council officlal working on a Sunday ?? It can't be genuine - his email account has been hacked. ;-) But seriously ..... it is a very fair and informative reply with no waffling. Fair play, Kevin Mowat.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 02 Apr 2017, 15:38
Didn't the mayor say he had had no contact with the owners. He didn't say the council had had no contact.
No- he said 'they' have not approached 'us' since the takeover. So who else would the Mayor be referring too as 'us' if not the Council?

Mowatt says

This matter was first placed on the Forward Plan when the previous owners of Torquay United expressed an interest in acquiring the freehold interest at Plainmoor. The issue has remained on the Plan as the new owners have shown a similar interest.

Therefore how have GI shown a similar interest if, as the Mayor says, there has been no contact since the takeover.

Is it not worth asking the question?

I plan to write to the Mayor to ask what he exactly meant by 'they' have not approached 'us'' given that it is evident 'they' have shown interest in acquiring the freehold of Plainmoor
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Mellow: weasel words, eh?! Yes, clarification required.

Yet I wouldn't read too much into it; his interview was about something entirely different, I'm told, and then ITV sandbagged him at the end with a throwaway question about TUFC. I think he means that GI has not yet contacted the council with any concrete proposals about the whys or wherefores of their 'plan'.

Of course, no one could deny that GI have made approaches about a purchase; GI's approaches have been ongoing since the ownership by the 'pensioners' (as one site pimping out the club for sale last year hilariously described them). Indeed, one wonders when GI's endgame started ... June 2015 would be my guess. Anyone could see right back then that the club was ripe for plucking. It's still shocking, though, that it took so little.

It remains: without actual proposals, there is nothing to consider.

Indeed, Mowatt makes it clear that he cannot even draft his report until he's received proposals from GI on which to base any such report.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Pretty sure Osborne said, in his propaganda video, that the council were 'excited' by GI's plans. I suspect Mayor Oliver was being somewhat economical with the truth.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

hector wrote: 03 Apr 2017, 08:50 Pretty sure Osborne said, in his propaganda video, that the council were 'excited' by GI's plans. I suspect Mayor Oliver was being somewhat economical with the truth.
I'm no apologist for the mayor, but don't you think it could be the other way around? How can the council be 'excited' by anything when they've received no formal proposals? Mowatt has told us so. Is he lying, too?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Lloyder5 thanks for posting Kevin Mowat's reply to your email. It appears to me that this issue is going to be deferred indefinitely until GI actually come up with a proposal.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

What a mess. So no facts then. Because maybe they want to keep it that way, who the hell knows. Political bickering as well, jeez democracy eh, yeah right!
TUST MEMBER
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Courtney Richards is out for the season.

Fact.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

According to the Herald Express, Clarke Osborne is going to make another statement tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath that we will learn anything about their future plans for OUR club or their plans for Plainmoor.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Another "Divide the fanbase and prosper" statement no doubt.................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

tomogull wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 17:18 According to the Herald Express, Clarke Osborne is going to make another statement tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath that we will learn anything about their future plans for OUR club or their plans for Plainmoor.
What a statement as well as answering fans' questions tomorrow?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I find it ridiculous that people on this site seek to demonise and demean the Mayor and his officers in the way they do. All the Mayor has done to date as far as I can see it is to react favourably to listening to the pleas of the previous Chairman, a local man, who said he was trying to find a sustainable way forward for the club. We are now led by people from Bristol who have so far failed to be true not to their word but to a number of words and almost certainly thereby effectively relegated us. I am sure the Mayor who I am certain is neutral in all of this can be seen to see that and draw the obvious conclusions and not entrust the ground to people who really have other things at their heart -certainly not the club. However we need to treat and respect him as the sensible person I am sure he is and no go looking for bogey people in the corporation. I am certain there may well be plenty of those elsewhere.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Dazza wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 18:36I find it ridiculous that people on this site seek to demonise and demean the Mayor and his officers in the way they do. However we need to treat and respect him as the sensible person I am sure he is and no go looking for bogey people in the corporation. I am certain there may well be plenty of those elsewhere.
I agree with that; no argument is ever won by making enemies of those who could well turn out to be your allies.

Until or unless the Mayor does otherwise, then we need to be taking the stance that he is on the side of the local professional football club in his borough and even if he were to take the view that the acquisition of the freehold of Plainmoor is the only business option for saving the club then we need him/Torbay Borough Council to put in place covenants and caveats to protect the right of Torquay United to have a suitable home within the borough.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

tomogull wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 17:18According to the Herald Express, Clarke Osborne is going to make another statement tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath that we will learn anything about their future plans for OUR club or their plans for Plainmoor.
Is that so ~ not overly apparent on their website; do you have a link?