Let's Save Our Club!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Serious question then, what should the plan be?
TUST number 080
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Seriously?

The only action that will be effective is effective pressure and engagement with the decision maker(s) you can demonstrate all you like but governments still go to war, close hospitals and engage in practices that are against Parliamentary democracy......so is it any wonder Conservative controlled local government toes the same line?

There isn't a small local specific interest protest that has ever succeeded in stopping them doing what they will decide to do is there?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

What people have to remember is that as things stand; this club is in the ownership of one man ~ Clarke Osborne ~ no board of directors, no other effective shareholding, no board of directors, no designated chairman.......nothing by way of what is accepted as any normal sort of club now.

Yet despite this the change of ownership has been accepted and ratified by the Football Association and the National League even though the decisive shareholding was acquired by default of the previous board's loan arrangements being 'called in'.

That seems suspiciously like 'loan sharking' to me yet this is the situation we are dealing with and no amount of shouting and banner waving is going to alter that. Like the peasants at the gate complaining of hunger whilst the feudal baron gorges himself in the great hall more like.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

It was a serious question.

I inferred from your previous post that you felt that influencing was the only way.

Therefore, if the strategy is influencing, the plan needs to be for those with links to the Council to re-double their efforts to take action. It would be more effective if the Trust could co-ordinate I my opinion, alongside prompting media coverage.
TUST number 080
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Influencing/lobbying is the only way....idiotic disruption of matches or chanting on the terraces will achieve nothing in my opinion.

I agree, those with links to the Council to re-double their efforts to take action and it would be more effective if the Trust could co-ordinate this rather than hand the stage over to those who want to shout but don't really have a grasp of what they would do if Gaming International close the book and sit tight. They might lose their 'Project Plainmoor' that way but they will still have our football club and if a phoenix is set up it will have to start so far down the ladder the effect will be minimal in my opinion.

Until every effort is exhausted to save the club in it's present form then effort on a phoenix is a mere diversion I would suggest.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Back in 1997 Brighton fans were faced with a similar problem to our own. Bill Archer, an "entrepreneur" from Blackburn with property development tendencies, acquired ownership of Brighton for around £50 (read into that what you will). He then sold the Brighton ground for a packet, but somehow the club saw little if any of the profit. Archer also had history with Wickes, read up if interested. I checked this morning to see what he's up to now, sadly he's still alive.

Brighton fans took very direct action against Archer, which resulted in the club staying alive. This included, I recall, demonstrating outside Archer's house in Blackburn in shifts. Any lessons for Gulls fans I wonder?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... ago-today!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't think anything disrupting the match will help our cause - after all the most important thing is to get behind the players and manager during the games now.

I'm not so sure that some idiotic chanting and some sort of demonstration at the final whistle of the next home game isn't a bad thing though. Surely if that gets the attention of the media then that's got to be a plus.

Nothing unlawful for me but 1500 people venting against the ownership should at least get some people sitting up and taking notice.

As for demonstrating outside Osbornes house? - Why not.

The fans have given him the benefit of the doubt but this slimey fecker has had an easy ride side far. He has shown his hand now - he doesn't give a flying **** about the fans or the club so maybe its time he was shown exactly what we think of him.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 27 Mar 2017, 14:36 Back in 1997 Brighton fans were faced with a similar problem to our own. Bill Archer, an "entrepreneur" from Blackburn with property development tendencies, acquired ownership of Brighton for around £50 (read into that what you will). He then sold the Brighton ground for a packet, but somehow the club saw little if any of the profit. Archer also had history with Wickes, read up if interested. I checked this morning to see what he's up to now, sadly he's still alive.

Brighton fans took very direct action against Archer, which resulted in the club staying alive. This included, I recall, demonstrating outside Archer's house in Blackburn in shifts. Any lessons for Gulls fans I wonder?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... ago-today!
But despite all the protests Brighton lost their ground. I remember going to see Torquay play them at Gillingham, then they rented Withdean, an unsuitable athletics stadium.
They only got a new ground with the support of their council.
Brighton are a bigger club with larger support. I'd question Torquay's ability to survive a move to another town.
GI don't care what the fans think. Yes we need publicity but it is Torbay Council who must be persuaded to save Plainmoor.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

standupsitdown wrote: 27 Mar 2017, 15:56 But despite all the protests Brighton lost their ground. I remember going to see Torquay play them at Gillingham, then they rented Withdean, an unsuitable athletics stadium.
They only got a new ground with the support of their council.
Brighton are a bigger club with larger support. I'd question Torquay's ability to survive a move to another town.
GI don't care what the fans think. Yes we need publicity but it is Torbay Council who must be persuaded to save Plainmoor.
I agree completely. I only posted this to draw attention to the actions taken by Brighton fans in a similar situation. I know it is Torbay Council we have to persuade for now (Brighton owned their own freehold, sadly for them at the time), and we must do this forcibly and very loudly. The publicity we need is in Torbay for now, perhaps wider (including Pensford?) in the longer term if the Mayor sells the Plainmoor freehold to Osborne.
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

Have you seen what was up for sale/rent recently, by the Council? A not exhaustive list includes:
- Brixham breakwater lighthouse
- the block adjacent to The Boathouse in Paignton.
- those pillars adjacent to The Grand hotel (near the bowling lawn/green).
- those enclosed benches in Paignton Green, with planning permission 'considered' (I thought there were covenants on Paignton Green, but that's another story)
- those buildings adjacent to where the ballon was.
- some other weird and wonderful things...

And of course they've gone for that hotel near the Pavillions.

Plainmoor wasn't on the 'For Sale' list the last time I checked, but with everything else up for sale, is Plainmoor safe in the climate where the Council seem to be (trying to!) flog everything off?

I don't know the answer to that question, but as has been pointed out we're in their (or the Mayor's) hands unfortunately.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Lots of talk & ideas but we need action now.
We need a coordinated campaign to save the club.
Surely the Trust should be taking the lead.
I've offered to pay for leaflets for Saturday if someone can design & get them printed.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

standupsitdown wrote: 27 Mar 2017, 18:38 Lots of talk & ideas but we need action now.
We need a coordinated campaign to save the club.
Surely the Trust should be taking the lead.
I've offered to pay for leaflets for Saturday if someone can design & get them printed.
Excellent. Who did you offer this to?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

I just tried to post that HE/DevonLife link to Spotted Torquay Facebook page, but he replied that he couldn't post any HE links. I think he's tied to WeAreSouthDevon somehow.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

TUST have spoken which is more than can be said for Torquay United Official Supporters' Club and Bernard Noble.

Just a thought :|