Torbay Council

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Torbay Council

Post by MF68 »

Just found out that Torquay United are due to be discussed at Overview and Scrutiny meeting at the Town Hall tomorrow night.
I understand that it is currently number 9 on the agenda.

Public can attend but not speak.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

That 'news' has been on BTPIR for ages ~ if not on here ~ and I'm sure most contributors on here would be aware of that.

It's not the 'discussions' in public you want to worry about it's the clandestine ones!
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Thanks merse .............wont bother trying to help in future
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Don't be a fanny; I'm just pointing out it is not breaking news and it's also been passed on to it's members by TUST!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Nothing wrong with a timely reminder :-D
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Post by Soupdragon » 26 Feb 2017, 10:31
A heads up for those who haven’t yet lost the will to live: the Council’s Overview & Scrutiny committee has invited the mayor to attend its 15 March meeting (usually 5.30pm at the town hall and open to the public to attend without pre-notification) to update members on the “current position in relation to the lease arrangements for the football ground at Plainmoor." *

At the same meeting, some of us will also be interested to hear the mayor’s update on the review of leases held by the Torbay Coast & Countryside Trust.

The full agenda will be published on the council’s website a week in advance.

* ETA: While they can't MAKE the mayor attend and update them as they wish, it is the mayor's duty to attend to update the O&S.

A further heads up: although the Plainmoor lease is listed as item no 9, it may be that, if there are lots of members of the public attending, the chairman of O&S could well decide at the meeting to make it the first substantive issue on the agenda as a courtesy to those who have turned up. This often happens for items that attract a lot of public interest.

So I guess, if you're planning to attend, then don't be late or it may well all have happened.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

MF68 wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 20:33 Thanks merse .............wont bother trying to help in future
Yes dont do it again ok!

Its very very naughty!
TUST MEMBER
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

A further heads up: it seems that it's advisable NOT to turn up at the town hall this evening. I've just had the following drawn to my attention:

Overview and Scrutiny Board
Wednesday, 15 March 2017 5.30 pm

Agenda
Exclusion of press and public
To consider passing a resolution to exclude the press and public from the meeting prior to consideration of the following item on the agenda on the grounds that exempt information (as defined in Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended)) is likely to be disclosed.
Leases to Torbay Coast & Countryside Trust
View the reasons why item 8. is restricted
View the background to item 8.
To consider an update on the above.
Lease for Football Ground at Plainmoor
View the background to item 9.
To receive an update on the current position in relation to the above.

( Found at: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... 6713&Ver=4 )

So it seems that officers [council staff] have recommended that a resolution be voted on [by the councillor members of O&S] to exclude the public and media from the item discussing Coast & Countryside, which means that the public will not be allowed back in and won't hear the Plainmoor lease item agenda.

I asked my councillor to get clarification from the O&S secretariat. This is what they said: Yes, they will have the public and press excluded from those items because they are commercially confidential.
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

Don't get too excited.
The Overscrew and Mutiny Committee can only make recommendations but can't make decisions. Any recommendations they make would have to be considered by the Cabinet, Mayor or Full Council st a future meeting.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Soupdragon wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 14:33 A further heads up: it seems that it's advisable NOT to turn up at the town hall this evening. I've just had the following drawn to my attention:

Overview and Scrutiny Board
Wednesday, 15 March 2017 5.30 pm

Agenda
Exclusion of press and public
To consider passing a resolution to exclude the press and public from the meeting prior to consideration of the following item on the agenda on the grounds that exempt information (as defined in Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 (as amended)) is likely to be disclosed.
Leases to Torbay Coast & Countryside Trust
View the reasons why item 8. is restricted
View the background to item 8.
To consider an update on the above.
Lease for Football Ground at Plainmoor
View the background to item 9.
To receive an update on the current position in relation to the above.

( Found at: http://www.torbay.gov.uk/DemocraticServ ... 6713&Ver=4 )

So it seems that officers [council staff] have recommended that a resolution be voted on [by the councillor members of O&S] to exclude the public and media from the item discussing Coast & Countryside, which means that the public will not be allowed back in and won't hear the Plainmoor lease item agenda.

I asked my councillor to get clarification from the O&S secretariat. This is what they said: Yes, they will have the public and press excluded from those items because they are commercially confidential.
If the public are turned away for item 9 then I think this could be challenged and it would probably breach the Standing Orders of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee. Item 7 specifically recommends exclusion of the public from the "following ITEM" (not items, singular not plural). The exclusion of the public can therefore only be for Item 8, and in fact the agenda contains a paper explaining why Item 8 is commercially confidential. Item 9 has no similar paper and the remit of Item 7 is clearly just to cover Item 8. Sadly I am over the border in Cornwall and cannot come to the meeting. I hope that thevviews of fans are properly represented.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MF68 wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 19:48 Just found out that Torquay United are due to be discussed at Overview and Scrutiny meeting at the Town Hall tomorrow night.
I understand that it is currently number 9 on the agenda.

Public can attend but not speak.
Thanks for this. It's a useful reminder for those of us who don't waste their time on inferior Forums. :whistle:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Soupdragon wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 14:33....the public will not be allowed back in and won't hear the Plainmoor lease item agenda.
I did say:
"It's not the 'discussions' in public you want to worry about it's the clandestine ones!"

So hopefully item 9 on the agenda will be brought forward of item 8 which is the one demanding 'commercial confidentiality.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Did anybody attend this?
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Soupdragon »

madgull wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 03:01 Did anybody attend this?

Item 9 was not brought forward.

One member of the public attended; sat through some health trust related stuff; asked "It is all going to be like this?"; was told "Yes"; and opted to leave.

While (as gullintwoplaces points out) the standing orders of that committee could be challenged, and the wording and content of the agenda could be shown as unprofessional (although you would get nowhere with that, tbh), isn't it more to the point that only one person turned up?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Soupdragon wrote: 16 Mar 2017, 09:27 ....... isn't it more to the point that only one person turned up?
Yes!

It's why the same old communities vote the way they do and get shat on as a consequence. No-one can justifiably complain when events turn out as they do largely as a consequence of apathy.