Can we Survive? 10 Games Remaining.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Been telling you York will go down since the season kicked off. They're f*****g abysmal, always concede and are run ala Torquay like a circus.

All Torquay need to is look to those ahead and not what's behind.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

standupsitdown wrote: 04 Apr 2017, 22:02 Southport must be down now.
York result unexpected and although they have easier fixtures they have to play Woking so one or both will drop points.
Slightly more optimistic after tonight.
As SuperNickyRowe posted, predicting results is so unpredictable. That was a big surprise that York lost at home to Bromley. Yes - I think North Ferriby and Southport are gone and it's any two of the Gulls, York, Braintree, Woking or Maidstone. Rather surprised that Maidstone don't have a game this week. That means they will have to play 7 games in 21 days. They should be safe, but that's a tough ask.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Its a very tough ask.
Gateshead A
Macclesfield A
Wrexham A
Boreham Wood H
FGR A
Lincoln H
Tranmere H
4 of the next 5 away and then Lincoln and Tranmere. Very tough in 21 days for part timers.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I hadn't realised that Aldershot were in the play off positions which has tempered my enthusiasm for a result somewhat so its going to be pretty tough.

I see they have a front line of Shamir Goodwin - Fenelon, Scott Rendell (who must be 45 years old by now) and the decidedly useful Bernard Mensah.

To trump that they also have some Ipswich loanee who scored both goals against Solihull. Its certainly looking like a big ask now but stranger things have happened.

Also I see that one or two people were suggesting resting players at Lincoln - that's just complete nonsense.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 08:51 I hadn't realised that Aldershot were in the play off positions which has tempered my enthusiasm for a result somewhat so its going to be pretty tough.
I see they have a front line of Shamir Goodwin - Fenelon, Scott Rendell (who must be 45 years old by now) and the decidedly useful Bernard Mensah.
To trump that they also have some Ipswich loanee who scored both goals against Solihull. Its certainly looking like a big ask now but stranger things have happened. Also I see that one or two people were suggesting resting players at Lincoln - that's just complete nonsense.
That's Kundai Benyu; and add Idris Kanu to that impressive list of front men and you can see the extreme contrast between a positive club and their ebullient fans in the ascendency and miserable United wallowing in self-pity.

They took over 700 of them to Solihull Moors last Saturday and absolutely turned the occasion into a home game, and with just one defeat in their last ten, will turn Saturday into a carnival reminiscent of the old days at the Rec. As you say; not an occasion to 'rest people' ~ hell we haven't the numbers for that! ~ and it is indeed going to be 'pretty tough'
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

At the weekend before the Chester game I played the prediction game. I reckoned we would need 52 points to survive.
That now means we need 9 from 15, or 3 wins. This team, without before reinforced, have won 3 of their last 16 games. So unless they are really going to shatter the form book I cannot see us surviving.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

With York's defeat last night I think we'll need 51 to stay up - as long as we don't take a hammering or two and lose the advantage in goal difference.

I think we all agree that two home wins are essential. Plus I think we need one away win or two draws which will be very hard against two teams in or on the edge of the play offs and one who are top of the league.

But remember Carlisle a few years ago.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No - it doesn't bode too well. Do we really deserve to stay up? - with all due respect to Solihull Moors, being half a dozen points or so adrift of them at this stage of the season just isn't good enough, despite all our problems.

You can look at our failure to get results all through the season but really the Guisely and Sutton games were the ones that cost us bigtime. They were two disgraceful results.

Factor in the defeat to Chester (albeit a better performance maybe) and we are where we are.

Looking at the away games we have left the common denominator is that the opposition will all be under pressure in these games. Ok its a different kind of pressure but its pressure just the same and none of our opponents can afford to slip up.

A red card here or there can soon sway things so nothing can be certain but my head is saying we cannot escape this time.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 10:35Do we really deserve to stay up?
No we don't!

The common denominator in former Football League clubs crashing through the trap door ~ and this will be our second one ~ is that are in disarray and chaos off the field; and how true is that of Torquay United!

This club never learns; there is a newly completed feature on the deception of the 'ten minute reign' of Leroy Rosenior on BTPIR this morning and it only goes to underline the continuing taking for granted and disrespect there is at TQ1 for the supporters by successive regimes.

When doing the preparatory work for the final game of last season at Guiseley I was struck by that little club's absolute focus and determination to avoid the drop; and it was the same when visiting Solihull Moors last week.

These clubs who so many of our fans choose to deride and disregard as 'pub teams' are streets ahead of Torquay United in professionalism and clarity of vision as to how to run a club in the National League and it was the same in the Football League where we don't come within a million miles of (say) Barnet who were once quite rightly regarded as tin pot and undeserving of remaining in the Football League. They crashed out in ignominity but returned a far more professional and savvy organisation and if they are to survive; Torquay United have to do exactly that.

At the moment we are a million miles from that and heading for disaster!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We may not have deserved to lose last Saturday's game, but wherever we end up at the end of the season, we will deserve to be there. As to precisely where we will be, I'm not going to forecast that at all. If predicting football results were that simple, I'd be a rich man already..
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

brucie wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 10:35
You can look at our failure to get results all through the season but really the Guisely and Sutton games were the ones that cost us bigtime. They were two disgraceful results.

Could not agree more...if we go down whatever the point difference and whatever behind the scene carry on , those 2 games were a total let down. Sutton with a defender in goal for most the game. Should never ever lose that whoever you are ...
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Yorkieandy wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 00:29
All Torquay need to is look to those ahead and not what's behind.
:goodpost:

If we get the results we need, we shouldn't be worrying about who's behind us. We have to get our own house in order and stop worrying about those below us.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

If you watch our performances on Gulls Player for the whole season to date one thing stands out.

We do create chances sometimes with some very good football BUT we simply do not bury the ball when we should. Countless times we fail to score but 4 chances put away and we would not be in this mess.

Kieffer Moore showed what a little bit of quality in front of goal can do.

Jamie Reid is quiet a decent player and works hard but if I was Nicho I would spend the next 24 hours getting Jamie to burst the net for 3 hours so that on Saturday when he gets his 2 or 3 chances he converts them. Simples.

We must be more clinical. At Wrexham we played well enough to get 3 points but again failed to make our dominance pay.

COYY
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 09:09 That's Kundai Benyu; and add Idris Kanu to that impressive list of front men and you can see the extreme contrast between a positive club and their ebullient fans in the ascendency and miserable United wallowing in self-pity.

They took over 700 of them to Solihull Moors last Saturday and absolutely turned the occasion into a home game, and with just one defeat in their last ten, will turn Saturday into a carnival reminiscent of the old days at the Rec. As you say; not an occasion to 'rest people' ~ hell we haven't the numbers for that! ~ and it is indeed going to be 'pretty tough'
You could also add in that Aldershot have a manager who's tried and tested; one who has contacts and knows how to manage.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

portugull wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 18:01 if I was Nicho I would spend the next 24 hours getting Jamie to burst the net for 3 hours so that on Saturday when he gets his 2 or 3 chances he converts them. Simples.
:rules: Yes it's that simple isn't it ~ ever played football with opponents in front of you?