going solo

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

going solo

Post by bixieupnorth »

i was meant to be going to accrington today with two mates, both football fans, but not tufc. they have both for various reasons pulled out this week. now i'm probably not going to go alone

there will be people at the game that i know but i'm not too keen on travelling all that way on my own, leave house half 9, 1021 train to leeds, 50 mins there before 75 min train to accrington and similar just under 3 hour journey back. rprob get home about 9pm or later

i always enjoy watching matches on the few occasions i have gone solo, but today i cant get enthused. maybe its the sh*thole of a ground, the open away end, the weather forecast of light drizzle, who knows but i just dont think i can be arsed!!

do many of you go to matches alone, if so what are your views?
still keeping the faith
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I haven't, but if I had the means then I guess I would, but I can understand your reluctance to travel all that way just to get rained on.
markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

I have been to 2 away matches this season solo Swindon and Cheltenham , both because I was working in the area on the day of the match,both times the journey wasn't too bad, nothing like yours today,it was great once I got to the ground because even though you might only be on " nodding " terms with people as we all share the same passion the shared sense of being together is enough to make it worthwhile

As I said in both my cases it was because I was closer, I don't think anyone would blame you for giving this one a miss.
gulls_aloud
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by gulls_aloud »

I've been to a few games on my own. Always an adventure. Here are the best two:

Against Eastleigh at Bideford on the 27 July 2008 in the final of the Errea Cup. We were knocked out and then recalled to make up the numbers when Crystal Palace withdrew, as I recall. We were at Plainmoor on the Saturday, the semi final was on the Saturday evening and then the final was on the Sunday. I decided to go on the spur of the moment despite dire public transport on a boiling hot summer's day. Got the first bus to Exeter, and another the long way round to Bideford. Going back I got a bus via Instow to Barnstaple and then two trains. Took all day and cost a fortune. We lost 5-4 on penalties after being at 2-2. Muzzie scored and celebrated right next to me. Danny Stevens was brilliant that day and Matt Green upped his game in the second half. Someone, possibly Martin Rice, threw the losers' cup on the ground in disdain, there were majorettes at half time and it was a lovely ground.

Another time I planned an entire holiday around a match. I was meant to fly from Berlin to Milan but decided to go via Stansted (where I have friends) to watch us beat Cambridge in the Conference, flying in for the game and out the following day. My friends walked as far as the meadow with the cows outside the ground with me and then went shopping. They heard the cheers from the ground and thought they'd won. It was the day I realised Mark Ellis was my favourite player and the one where Wayne Carlisle was yellow carded right beside us for celebrating his match winning goal. Still get excited thinking about it.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I go on my own nearly all the time. I know folk who I chat to at grounds home and away, but actual travel I think I've only gone to two games this season with someone else. Southampton Gull for Crewe at home and my old man on Tuesday night. Wycombe, Hereford, (Aldershot coming up on my birthday), Gills at home, Reading at home did them on my own this season. But yeah previous years is the same, unless my old man goes or one of my mates wants to come I nearly always go on my own.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

have travelled to all but one on my own.

the only one was last season when I picked up emetedadsbeard and we had a trip to grimsby - and rinsed them! =D

have met my some of my fellow dotnetters at games though.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:have travelled to all but one on my own.
the only one was last season when I picked up emetedadsbeard and we had a trip to grimsby - and rinsed them! =D
have met my some of my fellow dotnetters at games though.
:na: at billy :rofl:
SantaCruzScotty
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kee

Post by SantaCruzScotty »

I know its past the date BUT
Ive been to 3 games this season!
Maccs town (Home) was with my gf (Also last day of my holliday there)
then stockport (Home) I came from cardiff all on my own 4 hour train ride got in torquay at 11ish and spent up to 1pm going on the side cliff (By abbey sands) and spent about £5 in the arcade before getting abus up to the ground!
I get scared when i go alone that ill get "kid"knapped or people will laugh at me or whatever, but i also think at the end of the day on the train home, i enjoyed today :]
Also went chetls with TUFCBrett and he was decent, nice guy to talk to, got to chelts met SG and awayday sat down with a pint and had a small...but nice chat with the lads!

all in all i get nervous on my own but love it anyway :)
Torquay Till I Die!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

On occasions i have travelled on my own. That walk along Babbacombe Road and through Cary Park is a bit treacherous, but it's always worth the effort.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Given a choice, I'd rather go with someone. At uni I dragged my best mate (Burnley fan) along to Rochdale and Barrow (two shocking games), but when no-one else was up for it I went to Accrington and Morecambe by myself. The game is the reason why you go at the end of the day.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Been to a few on my own. And sounds like I'll be at Buckland on my own tonight as people have pulled out for whatever reason..

Usually end up chatting to someone I know though.