Nicho backed

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Nicho backed

Post by northlondongull »

http://www.devonlive.com/torquay-united ... story.html

GI and Harrop have backed Nicho and are looking for a CF and possibly one other player. Let's get behind the team and KN!
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Well that's us relegated then.

We need more than a new striker. We need a new manager to instil some confidence and new ideas in the squad we have.

It was evident on Saturday the manager has lost the players and the fans. Anyone that was there could see it.

This is the cheap solution.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Maybe the owners have been unable to persuade a manager of the right calibre to come in and take over from Nico. There is no point sacking Nico and replacing him with just anyone. Maybe Mark Yates was considering taking over, then took one look at the players and thought sod this for a game of soldiers it can't be done. As has been mentioned elsewhere Rafa Benitez, a proven top class manager, took over at Newcastle at the same stage of the season last year and couldn't prevent their relegation.
As for new players, with everyone aware of our desperation for a new striker that is only going make the selling clubs and player's agents demand more money than perhaps those players are actually worth.
There is no guarantee that any changes will lead to success, so perhaps the most prudent policy might be to go down a flight and rebuild from there.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Lets hope we do get a centre forward but its all a bit late, we still need an experienced centre back, we got one
in Raccine but when he got injured we replaced him with.............Anderson, ( about as much experience as me)
who was at least partly responsible for both goals, though McGinty was also painfully slow to react for the
second. If we dont beat Southport , 1pt from their last 21 we really are doomed. At least Kevin has not said
'the players owe us a performance ' yet and I dont want to hear after saturday ' the players are glad there is a
game on tuesday so we can bounce back against Tranmere'
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 08 Mar 2017, 11:32 There is no point sacking Nico and replacing him with just anyone. As for new players, with everyone aware of our desperation for a new striker that is only going make the selling clubs and player's agents demand more money than perhaps those players are actually worth.There is no guarantee that any changes will lead to success, so perhaps the most prudent policy might be to go down a flight and rebuild from there.

Or pull off another #greatescape of course.

Make no mistake, that's what they want to do and that's what they trust the current manager to do for them with backing from Harrop and the owners.

I don't buy all this 'deliberately wanting to go down' claptrap; that's nonsense and the paranoia over an ownership who leave the football talking to the professionals is nothing unusual in the game of professional football and as you say Plainmoor78; desperation for a new striker that is only going make the selling clubs and player's agents demand more money than perhaps those players are actually worth and then there is that lack of guarantee that any sane person will be aware of.

To give you an idea of what they're up against; Kieffer Moore was ready to sign until his agent persuaded Ipswich to pay him eight times what he was going to sign for at Torquay ~ and he's just a bog-average non league striker who couldn't command a regular starting place at another National League club!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

So the latest excuses on behalf of GI are there are no managers or players who want to come to us. Well no point in having a football club at all then. Absolute garbage!
TUST MEMBER
cider-gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by cider-gull »

I think we should feel quite relieved with the comments coming from Geoff Harrop. I'm no GI'ist at present, but they are a business that has taken over a Club with virtually zero cashflow due to the crazy summer season ticket sale. I know this has all been covered before on here but this debacle has had no small part in shaping the season so far.
If the right players arrive at the Club in good time I think we can then judge Nico and I admit there is an element of hope in this but surely that's what supporting most teams is about most of the time.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Neal wrote: 08 Mar 2017, 14:12 So the latest excuses on behalf of GI are there are no managers or players who want to come to us. Well no point in having a football club at all then. Absolute garbage!
Agreed. But money talks. They will come if the price is right. However, the price for the Gulls needs to be higher than normal because the club is such an unattractive proposition these days. We should weigh that extra expense against the losses we will suffer if/when we go down another level. And yet more expenses if we are going to climb back up.. :-/
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

They have to weigh the potential losses incurred in going down against the probable 20k needed between now and the end of the season to get some serious signings in. No brainer.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I think you underestimate the required sum but I agree it should have been a no brianer ( but you are looking at it through football eyes). If you want to grow houses on football pitches it's a no brained the other way round..
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It's all well and good coming out and backing the manager, but it's money that talks....put your money where your mouth is and let's see what happens.

Bringing in another player from We are shit and couldn't hit a barn door from three paces FC would suggest to me that they are all piss and wind and bugger all else.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

It all feels so amatuesh
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Nicho is safe till 17:00 Saturday I suspect. Anything less than a win will produce another cheapskate manager.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Dazza wrote: 08 Mar 2017, 19:52 Nicho is safe till 17:00 Saturday I suspect. Anything less than a win will produce another cheapskate manager.
He's safe for the rest of the season now unfortunately. If they're not going to get rid of him now after the last two performances when there's still a little time left to turn things around, they're not going to get rid of him at all. Be it because of misguided faith or less of willingness to spend any money. See you all in Conference South (...bloody hell)
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Young 18 year old lads going out on loan for the 1st time will signal certain relegation.

We need seasoned / under 23 players, possibly out of contract at the end of the season, motivated by knowing they will get 11 full games to try and earn a contract at a club next year.

Forgot, they must be able to follow instructions from a rookie manager and not get pisssed off in the first couple of weeks.

Fat chance of that happening!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: