Nicho backed

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Neal wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 08:59 The football club (first team) is basically dead! There might be an academy, that's to try and win over a few gullible fans to keep enough on side to pay the rent and wages.
The infrastructure of the club is basically non existent, that is why it is vital that an academy is established as soon as possible. And GI have been working towards that. It is not a sop for gullible fans. And the "bright spark on here" as you refer to him knows a damn sight about football than you do. I get the feeling from your constant flow of negativity that you would enjoy the demise of the club just so you can say told you so.
By the way I am also surprised that nicholson kept his job, but since Southport sacked their manager in January they gone from one point above the relegation zone to bottom of the table, so getting rid of Nicholson isn't necessarily going to be a guaranteed success.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 15:43 The infrastructure of the club is basically non existent, that is why it is vital that an academy is established as soon as possible. And GI have been working towards that. It is not a sop for gullible fans. And the "bright spark on here" as you refer to him knows a damn sight about football than you do.
Absolutely it is the most important factor that a football infrastructure be re-instated within the club which is unique in the National League of not having one below first team level ~ the ONLY National League club; what sort of disgrace is that?

A shocking indictment to the stupidity of Thea Bristow and her managing director of the time, Bill Phillips.

The 'lesson on contracts' was illustration of how they work in this day and age and as information to the mis-informed making wide of the mark comments about the departure of Nathan Blissett......considering his lack of use to the Argyle cause; getting twenty grand for him doesn't look such a bad piece of business right now does it.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Knowing you Merse that's a deliberate attempt to 'invite debate'. I am happy to oblige.

So you didn't rate Blissett ! I am not saying he was/is anything vaguely approaching the player his uncle was but on his day he was difficult for any centre half. We would have all liked those days to have come much more often but the stats show that when he was in the team we were more effective. I have no doubt that if hadn't been seduced by the bright lights of Plymouth ! we wouldn't be struggling to stay in this league to anything approaching the same extent that we currently are. In like for like terms give me Blissett over the 20k anyday.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

No; nothing to do with 'rating' Blissett or not......What I'm saying is that Blissett was worth PRECISELY WHAT WE GOT FOR HIM ~ it's been said so often because that is the situation whatever you or anyone else thinks about it.....and had he been held to the end of his contract which ran out at the end of April then United would have had a disgruntled player on their hands.

For Argyle to invest £20,000 ~ although United initially sought £75,000 ~ in basically 'squad fodder' shows the massive chasm in finances available between one Devon manager and another.

I know for a fact that Kevin Nicholson has tried to re-invest that twenty grand without success because everyone of his targets has either received a better offer elsewhere (as in the case of Kieffer Moore) or just won't relocate to the Westcountry for the sort of money on offer..........and don't say he shouldn't have let Blissett go before he got a signature on a contract from his replacement because it just doesn't work that way.

As we can all see his 'replacement' just isn't here!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The most import factor for our football club is to retain our god awful status in this league, we have 10 games to achieve this.

Perhaps then it will be time to regroup and consider the necessary, in order to take our club forward.

Hello!
We are a the precipice of Part time football!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Not all teams in the NL south are part time. Ebbsfleet are full time and Maidstone have they are going full time regardless of which division they are in.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

merse btpir wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 16:35A shocking indictment to the stupidity of Thea Bristow and her managing director of the time, Bill Phillips.

To label Thea Bristow as stupid is offensive, wildly inaccurate, and over the top. Thea is an incredibly kind, honest, and generous person. She is intelligent and far from stupid. However, her love for this football club may have led her to be, to a certain extent, too gullible and trusting, her lack of experience in running a football club led her to entrust that work to those who led her to believe they were more experienced experts and to trust them with her money.

If anybody was stupid, it was those actually running the club over the past few years, but again, stupidity is the wrong word to describe such things as lack of foresight and poor decision-making, inadequacy and incompetence, lack of forceful and effective leadership, which, among other things, perhaps can be attributed to Thea's colleagues on the board during those years, those in whom Thea placed her trust.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it does not make Thea stupid. She is, rather, one of the club's most loved, honoured, and respected supporters. So please show her a little respect.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Gullscorer wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 23:45 Thanks for that Andy. Please don't stop posting.. :)
Sorry Mick. Deleted it. Not my place to comment although I'm 100% in agreement with you.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Gullscorer wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 23:34
To label Thea Bristow as stupid is offensive, wildly inaccurate, and over the top. Thea is an incredibly kind, honest, and generous person. She is intelligent and far from stupid. However, her love for this football club may have led her to be, to a certain extent, too gullible and trusting, her lack of experience in running a football club led her to entrust that work to those who led her to believe they were more experienced experts and to trust them with her money.

If anybody was stupid, it was those actually running the club over the past few years, but again, stupidity is the wrong word to describe such things as lack of foresight and poor decision-making, inadequacy and incompetence, lack of forceful and effective leadership, which, among other things, perhaps can be attributed to Thea's colleagues on the board during those years, those in whom Thea placed her trust.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it does not make Thea stupid. She is, rather, one of the club's most loved, honoured, and respected supporters. So please show her a little respect.
:goodpost:

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Gullscorer wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 23:34
I thought Thea was running the club? She was chairman after all. If I was Thea I would find it pretty offensive how she is absolved of all blame seemingly just because she is a middle aged woman. Incredibly patronising. If she was a man you can guarantee that she would have come in for heaps of criticism.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Perhaps we should all go to a relegation clincher in fancy dress and play with plastic clackers during games to earn that respect as well then...STUPID.

,,,,,,,and closing the EPPP academy without an alternative in place when there is no money to buy players; which is what I was referring to ~ STUPID!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

You might have found a striker but not very likely one who would ~ at this moment in time ~ sign for Torquay United.

Gillingham, Charlton, Orient, Cheltenham and Stevenage all offer a prospect better than moving to Torquay and are keen to get him in. He would have signed for Orient in January but for their continuing turmoil and his contract is up at the end of April, so keep an eye on his progress.

Signed from Hampton & Richmond Borough in the summer of 2014, the Reading based striker had a fantastic first season with Maidenhead scoring 22 goals from his left wing berth, sweeping the board at the end of season awards evening, receiving recognition from the manager, players and supporters as well as the inevitable golden boot. Has also previously played for Farnborough and Basingstoke so he's been around long enough to have been on any properly equipped management's radar.

This season he is reunited with manager Alan Devonshire, whom he played for in his first spell at Hampton earlier in his career so maybe the penny is dropping that it is a very smart move indeed to employ a seasoned manager like Devonshire who really knows the non league scene rather than a complete novice purely on the strength of him being the directors' favourite player.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

One particular Directors favourite player.

I've never blamed Thea because although you could say she was responsible only a Martian would believe she ever actually controlled what went on at Board level. She was manipulated and taken advantage of to a large extent but nice people are often treated in that way.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com