Where do we go from here?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Southampton Gull wrote: 05 Mar 2017, 11:28Merse, that's the point, Osborne literally manipulated a situation where he could indeed "take it off their hands". If he hadn't been practically given the key to the clubs financials it might have been Smurthwaite instead of "Riviera Stadium Ltd" and I know who I prefer.
I know he did Dave; not an ounce of disagreement with you about that but that is the situation as as such there is no alternative now unless Osborne treats it as a venture capital project and moves it on; but that won't be for some time as there is nothing to 'sell' at the moment is there!

Smurthwaite might be the next owner but that is wishful thinking on our part rather than any form of probability in any shape or form. It's as futile to speculate as it is to post 'likes' on Kevin Nicholson's facebook ~ it isn't going to change the future or even affect the present!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

For too long we've had the club run by people who are in it for what they can get for themselves save for a few shining examples. I'm just pissed off that one of the few people who really have an affection for the club has been totally shafted from day 1 and is the focus for all the venomous slurs that should really be aimed elsewhere. It's not fair to judge a man who literally has his legs cut from under him on a daily basis. Of course he's made mistakes, he's a novice manager, but so many players he really wanted just couldn't be signed for a couple of hundred quid a week. He takes stick for the loanee situation but when he literally has nothing to offer the parent clubs and is lumbered with the likes of the current crop it's no wonder the team is struggling. I know his feelings about the attitudes of some of the loanees but unfortunately that's the same with a lot of youngsters these days no matter what their profession is. The low budget forced his hand in re-signing some of last years squad, no relocation expenditure made them affordable where other targets weren't. A chunk of his budget seized back, money witheld from transfers that was promised to him, the travel situation etc etc, so many things that put him at a disadvantage.

Most of the players at these part time clubs are earning way more than most of our squad from their day jobs alone.

Is his position untenable? Yes of course. Is he to blame for the position we find ourselves in? No, I don't think he is. We got into a worse position last year after starting with one of these experienced managers everyone seems to crave. The simple truth is that experienced managers know when to just sod off, Nico is a born fighter with the club in his heart. Do I feel for him? Of course I do. I'll defend him based on the struggles I know he's faced, do I expect everyone else to feel the same? No, obviously not but he deserves a lot more credit than he's been given. He does have an eye for a player, he's proved that and yes he's signed some bums but so do the very best of managers, but he has to shop in the bargain basement freebie section, that has been the real problem.

He's on his way, people have got their wish, not a spell where I'm particularly proud of my club, relegation would never make me feel that way whatever level we were dropping down to.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Excellent post, SG. Unfortunately people don't like having to think about situations too hard, but I for one feel sorry for Nicho. :(
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Excellent post SG, I feel for nicho also and I think in a couple of seasons time we will look back and possibly think 'if only' Nicho was still here, the last grasp of someone with Torquay in their heart is now gone and left with those only in it for themselves.

Nicho, thank you and best of luck elsewhere where you will be treated like a manager should with the backing you deserved.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 05 Mar 2017, 08:49
The running of a professional football club demands that you do not have either the time or the energy to drive the bus, sell the advertising, visit the sick. A commendable but naïve effort by Nicholson ,,,
I agree with you, but I did not hear the previous board tell him not to manage in that way, more to the point I expect they asked or even expected him to drive the bus to away matches as they were not going to pay for overnight accommodation. For me he has been caught between a rock and a hard place and has now found himself in a difficult and inescapable position. And for this reason I have great sympathy for the man. Whatever the outcome I only wish him future success either with Torquay or another club, for all his hard work and effort. I believe he deserves it.

Do I think he will go - yes I believe he will and the irony will be the new manager will be provided funds to bring in new players and I expect a bus driver. Such is the rich tapestry of life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I agree with SG's post and could not put it better.

His position has become untenable but throughout the sorry last two seasons Nicholson is the only one who walks away and can be proud of how he represented our club.

The situation and circumstances he has worked under is a joke yet he never went public and made excuses when players/funds etc etc were taken away from leaving him high and dry on his plans. He has had to stand in the firing line throughout his time here whilst others hid in the shadows allowing him to face this and take it all on top of his (all most impossible) day job.

Those crying for an experienced manager - ask yourselves how many and what type of calibre will be prepared to do the job with the uncertainty of the new owners, a CEO like Harrop and a bloke employed with the job title of 'Head of Recuitment' which indicates the players will be selected for him not by him.

I wish Nicholson all the best and hope he finds employment circumstances which allows him to show his full capabilities as a football manager.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

I hope he doesn't go, if he does it will be because he wants to, no other manager will fill his boots with the status quo, the new owners know that but they should release funds at let Nicho crack on as we all know he can do it. Sadly it appears that Osborne is unconcerned and is preparing to create a "sustainable" future, but it would appear he is happy to do that next season whichever division we will be in. Which hurts.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Unfortunatly league football is not sustainable in Torquay, whoever is in charge , for all the reasons that have been posted on this site,it's like Tesco opening a giant supermarket in Widdicombe,not enough customers and not enough staff.The time has come to be radical,where dose the money come from that keeps the club afloat,I guess it's the supporters , so without gate money and players fund the owners would have to put their hand into their own pockets,not something that at the moment they are willing to do,if nobody turned up to watch the games the club would soon disapear. Let mr Osborne have the club,let the council sell the ground,hopefully they would build affordable housing so some people would benifit ,I would rather see Torquay play in some league down the pyrimid and perhaps ground shearing with the Tics at the Rec. There must be 1000 people who would put 100 quid into the new club , with voting rites to change committies, and become shareholders .Let's start again , alla Wimbledon,we could become the club south west semi pro footballers would want to play for and if in the future we grow to think about National south football we would be viable and confident to do so, I take no pleasure in taking this course ,as a lifelong supporter , but enough is enough,we must put a stop to this madness and start again,I would not see the fruits of this revolution but true Torquay fans would,a sustainable club,ruled by true Torquay supporters and something to be proud of.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Southampton Gull wrote: 05 Mar 2017, 12:38 Is his position untenable? Yes of course. Is he to blame for the position we find ourselves in? No, I don't think he is. We got into a worse position last year after starting with one of these experienced managers everyone seems to crave.
While performances weren't great under Cox I do feel the need to point out that when he left we weren't in the relegation zone when he left. When Nico came his first ten games were calamitous and sent us down to the bottom of the league. It was only once we had an infusion of new players (thanks to GIs cash) and Nicho had started to get to grips with what being a manager is about that our results picked up. There's this belief posted around the forums that I keep seeing pop up, that Nicho inherited a squad rock bottom of the league and turned it around like a great saviour. No, he pushed them to the bottom of the league himself and then turned things around later, slightly different. Still an impressive turnaround but he should take some of the blame himself. This season operating under a similar restrained amount of money, has been very poor, it may well be that Nicho is a manager that works well when he has a budget (think Buckle) but isn't the type of manager that can work on small budgets, there's nothing wrong with that but it's not the type of manager we need right now.

I am sympathetic for the situation he has worked under and I think he's a great guy, who has done sterling community work and was a great player for us during those great Buckle/Ling years but I literally can't believe the people posting above me who keep saying they don't want him to go! Are we going to sit around and watch the club get relegated for the sake of having a 'legend' in the hotseat and the fanbase liking him? Ridiculous. Bring someone else in and let them have a go at it for 11 games, if we still go down then at least we tried, there must be a whole queue of managers out of the game who would be willing to give it a shot based upon a short term contract until the end of the season and then an option for a further year if they keep us up.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I didn't say otherwise and if you read the partial quote you added that's pretty clear. What he left were a series of players on £100 a week dossing at the lodge. No wonder we plummeted when he left but that's my point, even an experienced manager ran for the first door opened to him.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

As I understood, he discovered how much Edwards was pilfering from our budget. Rightly he wanted a wage and didn't receive one. He therefore took the 1st offer out of Torquay. Can't blame him for that.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

At last 2 sensible posts from Frenchgull and Yorkieandy.

I think this is our only chance now, start again with TUST. At least the finances will be transparent and there will be nobody taking a cut. In the end the cut comes from the wages of the supporters, MANY on very low incomes. That is morally wrong for me. Some seem to be happy with that, Im not!!

Those 2 posts get to the real point, that so many miss.

Thought I was the only one with those thoughts, thank God some sense on here at last.
TUST MEMBER
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Neal wrote: 05 Mar 2017, 16:14 At last 2 sensible posts from Frenchgull and Yorkieandy.

I think this is our only chance now, start again with TUST. At least the finances will be transparent and there will be nobody taking a cut. In the end the cut comes from the wages of the supporters, MANY on very low incomes. That is morally wrong for me. Some seem to be happy with that, Im not!!

Those 2 posts get to the real point, that so many miss.

Thought I was the only one with those thoughts, thank God some sense on here at last.
TUST who have barely spoken since confirming that they held a meeting with GI shortly after they took over the club?....just what is happening over there atm anyway?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As much as I respect all opinions, to suggest the only chance the club has, is to start again with TUST is nonsense, it will not happen, it's not the fault of TUST. There would have been a lot of goodwill for fan ownership, think that would have got the backing it needed, it will not now.

How many people who would have put money in before to take the club forward from Dave Phillips and co, will put money in now to line the pockets of G.I, the chance for fan ownership came, and has sailed down the river.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

Chris Hargreaves was also a legend but got it wrong, Kevin has got it wrong albeit with less finances, he has to go now , at least we may have a chance with someone who can bring some players who can change the game or at least motivate the ones we have , We only have a few games left before its to late, all this bitching about GI and the last lot aint going to change anything, we have who we have so we have to get on with it.
Any other club and he would now be gone, we cant hang on to what he achieved as a player or last season.