Breaking Cover

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

For me actions speak louder than words, so I m still waiting, when i see Osborne delivering on our playing squad immediately and assisting his manager then i may start to take him more seriously, until then its all empty words and promises.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

One could criticise the interviewer for running a “gentle” interview, but expect he was tied to pre-arranged questions so Mr Osbourne could reply in good light. CO said very little on 'here and now' football and more on the subtle matter of club 'sustainability'. Here is 'breaking news' Mr Osbourne , that is what all clubs in the Conference Premier/North/South gear their survival on or they would all be out of business. Sustainability means for many non-league teams playing on a part-time basis - maybe this is what Mr Osbourne means when we play in the Conference South next season. New private ownership normally provides a cash injection to put a club on the right footing. This was what I expected, but this does not seem forthcoming, therefore,I ask myself what is the difference between the GI brigade and a supporters Trust - both offered nothing but hope! Conference South - new stadium - 500 fans, its laughable!

Lincoln City sold out to property developers and the Sincil Bank Stadium site is to be developed as luxury flats worth approximately £13.3 million; construction to commence in early August. Lincoln City fans are left with the promise of a new ground sometime in the future, in the meantime they are to ground share with Lincoln United FC at Ashby Avenue for an initial period of 5 years; option to extend the agreement for a further 25 years should the new stadium plans not have been revived by date of expiry. Sound familiar! Their covenant that the club's current home on Sincil Bank would still have to be used for football if it was sold, was meaningless.

Maybe we are going to ground share with Exeter City or maybe that is why Masters is on the scene, we ground share with Truro. Now ask the question if you would support Torquay in the Conference South?
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

How can Lincoln city groundshare at Ashby avenue if they are challenging for promotion to the EFL. Ashby avenue only holds about 2500 supporters. Are you confusing this with the fact that Lincoln city U18s play Ashby avenue?
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

MellowYellow wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 15:19 One could criticise the interviewer for running a “gentle” interview, but expect he was tied to pre-arranged questions so Mr Osbourne could reply in good light. CO said very little on 'here and now' football and more on the subtle matter of club 'sustainability'. Here is 'breaking news' Mr Osbourne , that is what all clubs in the Conference Premier/North/South gear their survival on or they would all be out of business. Sustainability means for many non-league teams playing on a part-time basis - maybe this is what Mr Osbourne means when we play in the Conference South next season. New private ownership normally provides a cash injection to put a club on the right footing. This was what I expected, but this does not seem forthcoming, therefore,I ask myself what is the difference between the GI brigade and a supporters Trust - both offered nothing but hope! Conference South - new stadium - 500 fans, its laughable!

Lincoln City sold out to property developers and the Sincil Bank Stadium site is to be developed as luxury flats worth approximately £13.3 million; construction to commence in early August. Lincoln City fans are left with the promise of a new ground sometime in the future, in the meantime they are to ground share with Lincoln United FC at Ashby Avenue for an initial period of 5 years; option to extend the agreement for a further 25 years should the new stadium plans not have been revived by date of expiry. Sound familiar! Their covenant that the club's current home on Sincil Bank would still have to be used for football if it was sold, was meaningless.

Maybe we are going to ground share with Exeter City or maybe that is why Masters is on the scene, we ground share with Truro. Now ask the question if you would support Torquay in the Conference South?
:goodpost:

Many fans are in lala land if they think GI will build a new stadium and direct profits from other operations to a football club. I find it unbelievable the naivety of these people. Think about,it ground sharing with Truro, maybe Buckland or even Exeter. And in conf south, jeeez!

Cant wait to see the so called 5 year plan, thats going to be a right comedy.

And some seem to think the youtube video of our new owner is positive. Usual bullshit but where's the money!!!!!
TUST MEMBER
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Playing devils advocate, you could make the argument that they have previously made the cash injection. £100K plus of their money was used to keep us up last season. Unfortunately our clueless manager has since assembled a relegation squad and now we want them to fund another escape.

I am by no means seeing GI as our saviours but they are all we have and the alternative was insolvency under the last inept but well meaning board. We can bitch and moan or we can keep our fingers crossed and hope. One will make you depressed the other keeps a smile on the face. I'm not naive but I'll choose blind faith for now and get on with my life.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

eddyh wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 16:47 Playing devils advocate, you could make the argument that they have previously made the cash injection. £100K plus of their money was used to keep us up last season. Unfortunately our clueless manager has since assembled a relegation squad and now we want them to fund another escape.
This money wasn't paid over to keep us up - it was paid as part of their grand plan to put a noose around the club's neck.

This interview, just like the very clever period of silence that preceded it, to allow emotions to calm down, is all part of the same plan.

I entirely see why many of us are choosing to give them the benefit of the doubt but look at the history of C.O. & Co. that has been so well publicised before - history doesn't lie and we are next in line unfortunately.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Plainmoor78 wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 16:05 How can Lincoln city groundshare at Ashby avenue if they are challenging for promotion to the EFL. Ashby avenue only holds about 2500 supporters. Are you confusing this with the fact that Lincoln city U18s play Ashby avenue?
Ground share was approved by the National League.

Last game at the ground will be the National League match against Woking on 23 April

Ashby Avenue to be upgraded temporarily to National League North standard.

- Floodlights transferred from Sincil Bank.

- - The 5,700-seater Co-Op Stand sold to Stamford AFC for £125,000. The remaining two temporary stands from Brighton & Hove Albion's former home at the Withdean Stadium, Tongdean Lane, Brighton to be re-erected at Ashby Avenue at a cost of £370,000.

- Improvements made to existing terracing at a cost of £94,000.

- Total capacity will be 4,800 (2,900 seated, 1,900 standing). Approx same capacity as a so called new stadium - Imp fans are worried!
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

knightmaregull wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 16:53 This money wasn't paid over to keep us up - it was paid as part of their grand plan to put a noose around the club's neck.

This interview, just like the very clever period of silence that preceded it, to allow emotions to calm down, is all part of the same plan.

I entirely see why many of us are choosing to give them the benefit of the doubt but look at the history of C.O. & Co. that has been so well publicised before - history doesn't lie and we are next in line unfortunately.
I fully understand the worry about CO's motives but we simply must face facts. Without the money invested (regardless of motives) and the current covering of the day to day expenses, then Torquay United would be dead. They are all we have, like it or not. If they get zero support in any plans they may have (or say they have) then it really is doomed to failure and we fold when they pull out.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

Incidentally, in the year 2000 for the chairman of Lincoln City re purchased the ground off the council for £175k. So someone must have made a few bob out of the sale of the ground for £2.13 million.

Interesting to know what will happen if Lincoln win the Championship or get promoted. I thought Conference grounds had to be upgraded to league standard (presumably because of any potential promotion). Yet there they sit, on the verge of promotion, dropping down in terms of ground standards to Conference North facilities. OK, they got National league permission to do so but does that mean they will have to refuse promotion as the football league wont accept a team playing in a temporary ground with those standards, even with the upgrades mentioned.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

[quote=MellowYellow post_id=200934 time=1488554373 user_id=22826] Lincoln City sold out to property developers and the Sincil Bank Stadium site is to be developed as luxury flats worth approximately £13.3 million; construction to commence in early August.....

Why present a spoof story from Vital Lincoln City and present it as fact? There are gullible people on here who believe you; or are you one of those too?

I've been offered a 'Vital' franchise and wouldn't touch it with a bargepole ~ I expect the opportunity is still there if you care to explore it.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

eddyh wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 13:21 I think he came across well to be honest. There will be lots that will never trust him and a level of scepticism is healthy but we have little choice other than hope he can deliver on his words. As I see it, the club was basically dead without this takeover. It may all end in tears but that would have happened anyway. For the first time in years there is at least talk of a vision that is so clearly what the club needs. That is a positive for me.
YorkieAndy, nothing personal but will you bugger off again please. You don't give two hoots about TUFC so your opinions are not valid. It's annoying to have to scroll past your posts again.

In terms of retaining our place in this league, I suspect the same people who want a cash injection would be up in arms if Nico was sacked and replaced which is probably our best hope. Him signing more of his dross won't help.
No offence eddyh but I've no idea who you are....
However don't diss yorkieandy - I know him, met him and have been to games with him so get off his back.
I'm at plainmoor tomorrow if you want to discuss it further.
Cheers
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Feels like propaganda. Feels like club is dying , words are cheap.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

knightmaregull wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 16:53 This money wasn't paid over to keep us up - it was paid as part of their grand plan to put a noose around the club's neck.

:goodpost:

If only more people had the common sense they were born with.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

eddyh wrote: 03 Mar 2017, 13:21 YorkieAndy, nothing personal but will you bugger off again please. You don't give two hoots about TUFC so your opinions are not valid. It's annoying to have to scroll past your posts again.
I don't know Andy and I've never met him, but I've been 'signed up' to this Forum long enough to know that he DOES care about Torquay United AFC. He tried to break the shackles, as many of us living much closer to Plainmoor would like to have done during the dark times of the last three seasons, but like us, he can't. Okay - some of his posts are longer than War & Peace but I always read them and he writes a lot of sense ...... most of the time ! And he never slags off other forum posters ........ :whistle:
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Yes all the right buzz words, however, I can't believe that Harrop and alike are relying on the current squad of dreamers to keep us in this tough but amateur division at best. No matter how much hair dryer treatment you give these young lads they are not consistent and that is dangerous, especially where we are at this stage. Osborne should be the one getting the H D treatment screaming for immediate cash.