Would you go and watch Torquay United in the Conference South?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Would you go and watch Torquay United in the Conference South?

Yes - season ticket/ regular attendance
15%
Yes - but only the odd game
37%
Maybe - it would depend on who was in charge
13%
No - I would give up completely
35%

Total votes: 545

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Modgull wrote: 06 Mar 2017, 17:29 Sadly I will bow out and restart supporting my local rugby club - even though I have supported United since 1972 and brought up my lad to support them. I couldn't bring myself to support any other football team so that will be me finished with football. Depressed.
But what happens if we by some miracle turn it all around and come straight back up? Do you come back to Plainmoor? If not, what if we then return to the league?

Might seem unlikely but just imagine sitting there watching god awful egg chasing whilst the rest of us are glorying in back to back titles.

It's the same conundrum faced by people who play the same lottery numbers every week, can they afford to risk stopping and then seeing their numbers come up? They're probably more likely to miss the jackpot than you are to miss a double promotion though. :lol:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

More to the point, once you start filling your Saturdays and Tuesday nights with other stuff, the cycle of turning up to support TUFC has been lost and may never be restored.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 06 Mar 2017, 20:46 Bo**ocks to London merse....
Its Guiseley for me!
:rofl:
Just a one chippie (closed down) posh part of Dirty Leeds innit?
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

lucy6lucy wrote: 06 Mar 2017, 19:44 The other question that should have been added. What are the exile gulls going to do? A good percentage of away fans that follow Torquay don't live in Torquay. For me and no doubt many others that live in the north west/ north are going to be stumped as to what they do next. It's just a mess.
Pray for a Cup/Trophy run that draws them away to a Northern outpost! :whistle:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

What to do next? Easy: follow Whitby Town!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

wivelgull wrote: 07 Mar 2017, 10:00 What to do next? Easy: follow Whitby Town!
Don't talk wet.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

merse btpir wrote: 02 Mar 2017, 23:58 If United go down and my local club Wingate & Finchley go up; then the Gulls will 'be coming to see me' whilst playing a club currently averaging 141 at their home games!
Ditto, but swap Wingate & Finchley for Tonbridge Angels (avg. attendance 421)... that would be so weird watching a team I've been watching since 1990 (and a current ST holder to boot) against the Gulls.... half'n'half scarf anyone?
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

United62 wrote: 07 Mar 2017, 15:20 Ditto, but swap Wingate & Finchley for Tonbridge Angels (avg. attendance 421)... that would be so weird watching a team I've been watching since 1990 (and a current ST holder to boot) against the Gulls.... half'n'half scarf anyone?
two stands under one roof: Wingate & Finchley & Finchley RFC exist back to back

I'll be at Wingate tonight ~ the last midweek game I went to there attracted just 85 people & a stray rugby ball landed on the pitch!

Situated in Summers Lane, N12 the football grandstand was built 1930.  It is a fine example of Art Deco architecture.  Within a year the grandstand became virtually unique as it was converted into a two-sided structure to provide spectator accommodation for the rugby club in the adjoining ground.

Originally the old Finchley Football Club occupied what is now known as the Maurice Rebak Stadium and when they were faced with closure they merged with prominent North London club, Wingate FC who had lost their ground to M1 construction and then moved to London E10 to merge with Leyton FC as Leyton-Wingate but moved again to return to Finchley when the opportunity afforded itself.

Wingate & Finchley are often perceived as a 'Jewish club', due to Finchley's sizeable Jewish community and a number of other factors, including sporting the Star of David on the club's badge, having a number of Jewish individuals on the committee of the club and being able to apply for special dispensation to move their games should they fall on Yom Kippur. One of Wingate & Finchley's predecessor clubs, Wingate, was established in order to aim to combat anti-semitism. The original Wingate club was named after Capt Orde Wingate, who had been involved in training the Haganah, the precursor to the Israeli Defence Forces but was not himself Jewish but a British Army officer who achieved cult status amongst the youth of London's Jewish community in the years immediately after WW2.

'The Rebak' has one of the best playing surfaces of any non league club having a staggering £400,000 invested in it and the surrounding little ground when Wingate moved in including pop-up sprinklers that are the envy of many a fully professional club and the club itself exist on those tiny gates through having the second lowest wage bill in the Ryman Premier (c£1,200pw) yet operate a massive pyramid of teams below the first team including their own development club ~ Hadley Wood & Wingate ~ in the Spartan South Midlands Lge Div 1 and it's own fully floodlit and 3G training ground and pavilion on the site of the playing field immediately behind Barnet's old Underhill Ground........something that leaves Torquay United way behind!

When I was there on Saturday, Walter Figuera's mum was hovering menacingly trying to figure out how to 'handbag' the Canvey Island player who had provoked her son into getting a red card after a fracas. Try as she might; there was no way round all that security fencing; football in the leafy 'burbs isn't as gentlemanly as you might imagine! :lol:

Exit of the gladiators: even Walter's mum can't get through that lot!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Thanks for that Merse, interesting story. But just looking at the ground and imagining us playing Conference South football next season with ground swells of 500 fans (some as low as 100) has left me feeling really low, bordering on depressed. I suppose one can accept the flaws in players more in the lower leagues (being part-time and training twice a week) but the standard of refereeing also diminishes normally resulting in dire games of hoof ball and 'break ye leg' tackles and watching a players mom wanting to 'handbag' the ref or opposing player. Happy to watch this type of game at the local park while taking the dog for a walk but to hell if I will pay £15 or even a 'fiver' for 90 minutes of dross.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Well I can vouch that the Ryman Premier League is a universe better than that....most of the top teams have players easily capable of playing full-time in the EFL but not for the limited money it offers when set against what they currently earn in addition to their day jobs.

A lot of these guys working as school teachers, cabbies and professionals in other walks of life just have too much to lose to spunk it all on a few hundred quid a week playing for clubs like Dagenham, Aldershot and Stevenage ~ and don't even get me started on Torquay!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

:goodpost: Agree totally
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

So far the voting has 30% never to return ( based on a rough estimate of 1500 attendance this current season on average , that's 450 never to return next season). More worrying is that 39% would attend the odd game, so let's presume only 50% of them attend a match, that's another 300 not going. So based on this we can expect(or hypothetical) a gate of around 750 attending home matches in the conference south. Oh shit
Lucy
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Nearly 500 votes across the full width of our fan base have noted their intent for next year.

Take note Mr Harrop!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I think that is an overestimate Lucy. We may get that number for the first home match as a novelty factor, but if in that first matched we are thumped 0-3 at home by a team like Weston-Super-Mare or Truro then I think well struggle to maintain 400, as the odd game fans wont turn up. Which ever way one looks at it the revenue made by the gates will only add up to a part-time club. And there lays the crux of the matter - which players are going relocate their family and leave their current jobs to play for us on a Saturday for £150 a week. I guess that is why there is talk about moving the training ground and academy to a place like Bristol, where there is a wider choice of part-time footballers and more job opportunities for part time players to work, train two nights a week and take a 2hr train journey or less to play a match in the Southern region on Saturday.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Don't give up on your club!
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... ORM=VRDGAR

"friendship through sport"

If the worst happens ~ don't abandon your club!

Watch this fifteen minute feature to get the essence of non league football which I believe is missing at Torquay United where the mood is one of 'fallen Football League club' rather than getting the enjoyment of having a club in the community at all........maybe a lesson can be learned form visiting nearby Buckland Athletic here.

Living where I do in North London and being retired, I can no longer afford to contemplate ~ indeed afford ~ coming down to Torquay as I used to but get my weekly (and more!) football fix by watching the Gulls whenever they are within striking distance; until December working in community football; and with my youngest son watching him play and learn the game and then going off to one of many varied senior nonleague venues we patronise.......,it's great fun and far better than the small mortgage price of admission to the Arsenal and Spurs games nearby.

I have two great little clubs near my home ~ Wingate & Finchley in Ryman Premier and Haringey Borough in the Ryman North....other venues like Dulwich Hamlet, Enfield Town, Potters Bar and Clapton are big favourites of mine too. I get me and Calvin in for six quid at Wingate and for free at Haringey where they offer a free season ticket once you have been to your first game of the season! Four quid for the two of us at Dulwich where the beer and food is simply stupendous! You only spend what you save going in on that food and drink so it's a good deal for them and a good deal for me and with free public transport all over London for me it's a no brainer!

Watch this clip and see if you can spot a young Alex Cowley managing Concord Rangers. Watch this clip and see if you get your appetite back for non league football!

You can turn up at five to three if you want