Torquay Utd V Sutton Utd 25/02

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Torquay Utd V Sutton Utd 25/02

Post by Louis »

So this Saturday we host Sutton United, one less pie to be sold now.

Predictions please...
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Parkys People
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Darren Moore

Post by Parkys People »

No idea.

But I'd fancy now to be as good a time to play Sutton United as any. Hopefully after the adrenaline high they got from facing Arsenal, they will still be on cloud 9 and this will have a feel of after the lord mayors show for them.

They've hopefully run themselves into the ground on Monday night too.

2-1 United.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Games are so difficult to predict and Saturday's game is even more difficult than usual. I was impressed with Sutton on Monday night. They passed the ball on the ground and passed the ball from defence instead of hoofing and hoping. As Parky posts, now is as good a time to play them and their away record is poor. But their defence looked well organised and shouldn't have much trouble with our 'attack'. We desperately need a win of course, but I'll go for 0 - 0.

Also, they will have Matt Tubbs back in their squad and he's always a danger. He was cup-tied for the Arsenal match.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Absolutely no chance. Sutton will be out to erase any memories of defeat caused by the cup tie with Arsenal. Thus:

TUFC (0) 0
Sutton United (2) 3

Att: 2009 (higher than usual attendance caused by the Sutton/Arsenal curiosity factor)
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

tomogull wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 17:07

Also, they will have Matt Tubbs back in their squad and he's always a danger. He was cup-tied for the Arsenal match.
No he wasn't. He played in two of Sutton's earlier FA Cup games and was on the bench on Monday.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

wivelgull wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 17:59 Absolutely no chance. Sutton will be out to erase any memories of defeat caused by the cup tie with Arsenal. Thus:

TUFC (0) 0
Sutton United (2) 3

Att: 2009 (higher than usual attendance caused by the Sutton/Arsenal curiosity factor)
So you reckon Sutton will bring 600 fans. I would remove a zero, and a crowd of 1409. As for the score, this is a hard one. 1-0 torquay
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Jerry wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 18:18 No he wasn't. He played in two of Sutton's earlier FA Cup games and was on the bench on Monday.
Ah - thanks for putting me right. I hadn't noticed he was one of the subs. Cheers ! :-D
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Maybe a tad harsh - but fair IMO - i'm looking forward to game not seeing Richards in the team

if it is a midfield 3 then Lathrope and Verma holding with an attacking Young is much more appealing
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote: 23 Feb 2017, 00:37 Maybe a tad harsh - but fair IMO - i'm looking forward to game not seeing Richards in the team

if it is a midfield 3 then Lathrope and Verma holding with an attacking Young is much more appealing
Whilst I agree that this will probably be the line-up, I'd like to see Nico actually try and win this must-win home game and abandon the 3-man midfield and go with two up front. Give Keating and Critchlow starts and go for it.

Sutton seem to have an odd record on the road - generally they lose, but their only win I think has been away at Lincoln plus I think they got a point from FGR. I personally think it is a good time to play them, as they've had a fairly rotten week what with "piegate".

But then knowing our luck, all that will galvanise them as we serve up the usual dross
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Yes, I thought they passed it and kept it better than us but then most teams do
Will go for a 1-1 draw, but one we should be looking to win
Go on Damon, shock us all and stick one in the top corner from 25 yards
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

This is a must win game. No two ways about it. If we cannot win at home against our relegation rivals we will go down this season. Predict 2-1 win and crowd of @1600.
SouthLondonSport
Trialist
Trialist

Post by SouthLondonSport »

Preview on SouthLondonSport.co.uk:

http://www.southlondonsport.co.uk/singl ... gue-Action

I reckon we'll bring about 100 down, could do with a rare away win but would settle for a point
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

SouthLondonSport wrote: 23 Feb 2017, 19:53 Preview on SouthLondonSport.co.uk:

http://www.southlondonsport.co.uk/singl ... gue-Action

I reckon we'll bring about 100 down, could do with a rare away win but would settle for a point
We need the points more than you do !! Forecast down here is windy again on Saturday so that could affect the result. Very impressed with your lads against Arsenal last Monday - did the National League proud (as did Lincoln). Er ..... they serve very good pasties in the Canteen ;-) . Enjoy the match !
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

tomogull wrote: 23 Feb 2017, 21:16 We need the points more than you do !! Forecast down here is windy again on Saturday so that could affect the result. Very impressed with your lads against Arsenal last Monday - did the National League proud (as did Lincoln). Er ..... they serve very good pasties in the Canteen ;-) . Enjoy the match !
its the pies that done that !
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

On the basis that Sutton are poor away from home (6 points from 15 games) and we are only quite poor at home (25 points from 16 games) I would say that this is a winnable game...it has to be really.

An ugly 2-1 win for me (Sparkes, Williams)

Moore
Hodgkiss Anderson McGinty LRT
Lathrope
Young Verma
Sparkes Keating
Williams