Torquay Utd V Sutton Utd 25/02

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Hector....missed the radio interview
What was said ?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Evening all....
Cant believe the result :@
I've been to watch Gus have another good game for Barnsley.... he's really come on leaps and bounds.... :clap:

....and now for the good news..... :) I'm down for the home game next week..... :-/
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Nicho on Facebook.
I am always 100% honest on here and I'm always the first to hold my hands up when I've messed up but today is the first day in a while that I've felt let down.
The players had put 4 good performances in over the last 4 weeks, they'd taken instruction, done the basics well and deserved more than the points total they had.
However that means they needed to step it up again today but instead basic mental errors, losing focus when things went against them and common sense as a whole has cost us.
All the work on a game plan out the window, no real football played, with a full back in goal we don't shoot and we give 3 shocking and basic goals away.
I think the players owe themselves, they owe me and most importantly they owe the fans on Tuesday.
We have a big month ahead and football changes very quickly but today was unacceptable.
For those giving me abuse when Brett went off, he was very ill on Thursday night, didn't make it through the warm up on Friday as he was too weak and to be fair to him he gave me an hour as I asked him for along with his goal. Once he'd got a yellow card and legs fading it was a no brainer.
It hurts to take the stick I got at the end but will only make me stronger as it did last season.
It's a funny old game that changes quickly and I'm grateful we have Tuesday night to make up for that today.
My weekend is officially wrecked as I'm sure most of yours is.
It's time for me to clear my head and go again for Tuesday.
Football is a horrible game at times, I won't be reading any comments on here so please don't start any fights or get personal with myself or each other.
These posts are my honest thoughts and are fine to be debated but not worth fighting over.
Nicho
Being 5,000 miles away I can't really comment. But losing 3-2 when Sutton didn't even have a replacement keeper is embarrassing.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Glad he has time to poster this rubbish. Perhaps the players should still be in the dressing room with him reading the riot act or seeking a meet with the owners..........that's if they were bothered enough to attend.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

hector wrote: 25 Feb 2017, 18:21 And the half-witted lemmings, clapping the team off the edge of a cliff at the game's conclusion, are part of the problem.
Totally agree! Why do people stay and clap that bollocks? I walked out as soon as the final whistle went. I couldn't even be arsed to boo.

5 minutes in and their goalie goes off. That should have been the trigger to shoot from all angles but our inept team did F all. As soon as that second goal went in for Sutton I fancied them to get another and sadly they did. We have absolutely no pattern of play, no leaders on the pitch, no guile and a manager who was probably bullied at school.

I'm going on Tuesday night but only because I'm in the area and going for the comedy value more than the entertainent.

Absolutely f***ing useless. The club has really bombed over the last 5 years and I'm just glad I chose not to renew my ST last summer.

I pity those who bought ST for £200 and have had to suffer that all season.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

The owners dont give a toss, only about development. When will some of you realise that! Unbelievable!!
TUST MEMBER
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Unforgiveable - the keeper not even tested, he wasnt even mobile and was almost as fat as pasty man
like someone else said where do we go from here ? Nicholson says the players owe us one on tuesday, how many bloody times have we heard that. We are just so poor all over the pitch, really cant see us staying up after that
We were all saying when pie man 2 went in goal, 'if we dont win this one ! '
May as well send Keating and the QPR winger back home, waiting for the subs and we get Chaney and Harrad
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

That's nice words from Nicholson on Social Media within what 90 minutes of the end of the game!......empty phrases , but nice.... bless him!

In the after match interview Nicholson said "I can't be in their heads on the pitch" ..SURELY that is part of the role of a manager. Your words should be resonating in their heads all game. If they are incapable of retaining your instruction for 45 - 50 minutes at a time then what are they doing playing (and I use that term loosely) football, as I thought the plan for a footballer was to carry out the Manger's instructions.

OR does Nicholson just have a very quiet voice?

That was shaming for all concerned. There were 20/25 minutes of the first half when Torquay looked sort of dominant, but allowed a shell shocked Sutton right back into the game and allowed them to dominate the second half.

OK, so if as Nicholson says , Williams had been poorly before the game, WHY, WHY, WHY did he bring on Harrad and especially Chaney against a VERY physical and TALL side?

He talked about no width, maybe those who are employed as wingers should be fined if they do not :
a) Spend a minimum of 70% of game time within 10 yards of the touchline
b) Do not attempt to beat the full back at least 50% of the time they have the ball at their feet.
Maybe then Nicholson would get inside their heads.

I am very angry with the complete lack effort shown by all but a couple players today. I can live with the fact that they are crap footballers ....because "that is all we can afford".... but not the lack of trying.

I know "we have no money", but that should not stop employees - who I guess will still pick up their wages (whatever value that is) - trying to do their best and listening to their manager's instructions.

Perhaps not paying them every time they blatantly disregard direct managerial instruction on how to complete their roles would sharpen their listening skills.
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Nicholson's bare faced cheek to lay that disgrace at the hands of the players is nothing short of embarrassing. He is so far out of his depth it's ridiculous, and needs to be replaced before he takes us down and the club basically dies. Today was a joke tactically but his squad has absolutely no balance or shape. We simply don't have the players to play any sort of useful tactic. No target man meaning we can't go long. No pace so we can't go in behind teams and frankly, piss poor technical ability in the most part meaning we can't pass from one end of the pitch to the other.
His statement about the players not shooting is true BUT it's because we actually couldn't keep the ball to find space in the last 40 yards of the pitch. That is shameful and down simply to the manager. I felt sorry for Luke Young and Brett Williams at the end as they did all they could but along with Sparks (who had a mare today) there is nobody who can actually control and pass a football. The recruitment has been dreadful and although we all understand the budget restrictions, there are surely better technically able players around than the complete dross we have. People like Richards,Verna,LRT, Gerring etc etc etc just are not good enough yet have been constants for most of this dreadful season.

Today was inexcusable and indefensible. It's time for a change, and today I think most fans finally had to admit it. Why anybody would clap the team at the end is beyond me. If you don't feel comfortable booing, that's fine but clapping that rubbish is insane.
Last edited by eddyh on 25 Feb 2017, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Quote from the Sutton forum that sums it up.

Just the tonic we needed. Not only our second away win of the season in the league but also our first 'double'. And achieved with an outfield player in goal for most of the game.

Hang your heads in shame Torquay playing staff.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I like everyone else was incensed by todays display - and like everyone else I am looking for the scapegoat. The manager of course is my first port of call but once I calm down and reflect can I really lay the blame on Nico for all that has gone wrong this season, regardless of the contributions of others. What was the contribution of the old regime and more to the point what is the contribution of the new regime(GI). The new GENERAL MANAGER Mr Harrop states "the first priority is to stay in the National League this season..... and there is also a lot of other work going on behind the scenes to get the club back on a better footing". Well you could have fooled me!

Take Nico out and you possibly take out the only man passionate about the club with the remaining management hierarchy left playing lips service to GI Mafia as they drive their personal agenda on getting council planning approval for the new housing development at Plainmoor. I expect the delay within the council is reflected in the delay of National League ratification. GI state that the National League are satisfied with the new financial guarantees so why the delay in saying the simple word 'approved'. Or is the delay because the guarantees are based on GI getting the leasehold of Plainmoor.

I am prepared to debate with others if they think GI are 100% committed to investing in a Conference South - part time - club next season with average gates of between 300 and 500, taking on the mighty Concord Rangers and Whitehawk or the mouth-watering derby's against Truro or Weston-Super-Mare.

As I finish my rant of frustration, I am now pondering how the players will get to away matches next season as none of them will be able to afford cars! Anyone know of a good 'Cycle-to-Work' scheme?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Sorry, but there should be no posts from the manager that quickly after a game....he should still have them locked in the bloody dressing room, making them realise that they are so **** shit, they've just lost to a team with an outfield player in goal for most of the match.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

What ever brucie posts, I agree. We still have time to sort this out, but not with the current personnel. So if GI want to stay in this league, get your cheque book out ASAP. No point in sacking Nicholson, that will cost a fortune, and that money can be spent on additions. As for the rest of the squad, thankfully they are all unemployed in June.
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whilst I "monitored" the score throughout the game on my phone I have just heard the news that Sutton played 74 minutes with a defender in goal.

Really we have plumbed new depths today. I gave you the stats on the game before the match which just goes to prove how bad Sutton actually were.
I had a free Tuesday coming up so was actually thinking of "breaking my duck" and going to the match on Tuesday. What an absolutely stupid decision that would be.

I cannot listen to anymore of Nicholsons claptrap. What an absolute load of bollocks he spouts. Four decent performances on the trot - yeah yeah, we scrape the odd draw here and there but then manage to lose to a team who have lost the last six away games on the bounce who play all bar sisxteen minutes of the game with a 35 year old defender in goal.

What is Harrop actually doing? What is Osborne actually doing - if they had any sense they would sack the **** manager for starters who is beyond bloody useless.

The club is a complete basket case and the sooner we go out of business the better because this is beyond the pale.
Last edited by brucie on 25 Feb 2017, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Blimey! The worst set of reports yet - and that's saying something!