National League table after tonight's games

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Win bonuses are likely also a sign of the conditions we are working in. Ideally you would utilise these, but if we really have £300 per week to offer players, as quoted on here a number of times, then there isn't really any room to offer anything as a bonus as it's already on the breaking point of what any player could actually live on. £200 a week with £100 if we win isn't a living wage and £300 a week plus £100 if we win isn't within the £300 a week budget.

For a side that was close to going under and had to get money from Barnsley early in order to pay the December wages that month, there's not a lot of scope to offer 20 players £x a point in addition to what we're paying out. Besides which, as Tomo pointed out, it's not a policy that's under the manager's control in any case.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

DevonYellow wrote: 20 Feb 2017, 13:18 All of which is very admirable but will not help with his primary objective which has now been downgraded to keeping us in this division.

As Merse said earlier it was KN who set his own target of challenging for promotion and playing football we can proud of. He's achieved neither. He knew his budget and this is HIS squad.

Being a football manager is a hard job, demanding long hours on the road scouting players...you only need to have read Garry Nelson's excellent "Left Foot in the Grave" to understand that. He talks about driving hundreds of miles to watch a reserve team player and he never even got on the pitch!

I don't doubt his love for the club and passion for it do well but his record shows that this might not be enough.
I don't think Garry Nelson is any different to the Shaun North example. Neither were the manager and so did not have the responsibilities that come with that, and both were when we weren't so strapped for cash. We had to borrow money to pay the December wage bill, and players drove themselves to several away matches because we couldn't afford transport to take the first team squad to first team matches. What is the scope within that workplace to fund scouting missions? We have several issues to address before we get anywhere close to acting like a professional football club, never mind a well run professional football club.

I may have misread the quote, but I don't think promotion this year was ever the intention. Getting back to the Football League is certainly a long term goal, but until we have stability off the pitch that is just never going to happen.

I don't see the community work as nicey-nicey stuff either. It is essential, otherwise you lose this generation to the Premiership sides, and you can't just win them back as adults. We've been through four years of depression, frustration, anger, apathy and every other emotion, losing almost every other week in the process. The fact that we still have a hardcore support of 1800 that stick with us through it all, and more around the world, is in a large part because of the work done by community programmes with schools and whatever else. I think that right now Kevin Nicholson is the glue that's holding a lot of fragmented pieces together, and you can't under-estimate that. If GI were owners with their own yes man as manager, then I think you'd very quickly see things deteriorate from where they are now, even when we're already at our lowest ebb in history.

Last year we picked up 30 points from a 15 game spell. That's title winning form, sustained over one-third of the season, and without being able to offer a win bonus, without which players apparently don't want to win as much. I won't argue that this season is below what we hoped for, based on that run of form, but all we've actually done is regressed back to the mean of what you would expect for a football club that's run in the manner that ours is. I would rather back the manager to carry on his project and give us a football club to be proud of, rather than waste money paying off another manager and repeating the mistakes of the last few years. An in form target man on the end of just one of those crosses on Saturday, and we'd have an extra two points and whatever other positive effects that spin off from winning matches. That's how close we are to being a decent enough side in this division.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Goody2514
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Goody2514 »

Gulliball wrote: 20 Feb 2017, 18:16 I don't think Garry Nelson is any different to the Shaun North example. Neither were the manager and so did not have the responsibilities that come with that, and both were when we weren't so strapped for cash. We had to borrow money to pay the December wage bill, and players drove themselves to several away matches because we couldn't afford transport to take the first team squad to first team matches. What is the scope within that workplace to fund scouting missions? We have several issues to address before we get anywhere close to acting like a professional football club, never mind a well run professional football club.

I may have misread the quote, but I don't think promotion this year was ever the intention. Getting back to the Football League is certainly a long term goal, but until we have stability off the pitch that is just never going to happen.

I don't see the community work as nicey-nicey stuff either. It is essential, otherwise you lose this generation to the Premiership sides, and you can't just win them back as adults. We've been through four years of depression, frustration, anger, apathy and every other emotion, losing almost every other week in the process. The fact that we still have a hardcore support of 1800 that stick with us through it all, and more around the world, is in a large part because of the work done by community programmes with schools and whatever else. I think that right now Kevin Nicholson is the glue that's holding a lot of fragmented pieces together, and you can't under-estimate that. If GI were owners with their own yes man as manager, then I think you'd very quickly see things deteriorate from where they are now, even when we're already at our lowest ebb in history.

Last year we picked up 30 points from a 15 game spell. That's title winning form, sustained over one-third of the season, and without being able to offer a win bonus, without which players apparently don't want to win as much. I won't argue that this season is below what we hoped for, based on that run of form, but all we've actually done is regressed back to the mean of what you would expect for a football club that's run in the manner that ours is. I would rather back the manager to carry on his project and give us a football club to be proud of, rather than waste money paying off another manager and repeating the mistakes of the last few years. An in form target man on the end of just one of those crosses on Saturday, and we'd have an extra two points and whatever other positive effects that spin off from winning matches. That's how close we are to being a decent enough side in this division.
:goodpost:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Goody2514 wrote: 20 Feb 2017, 18:31 :goodpost:
I blame Ipswich.
Lucy
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

awe Come on LucyLucy. thats really poor form. we have put so much energy and effort into blaming Brucie and wivell and then along you come and blame Ipswich. be realistic please. It's Brucies fault and his sidekick Wivell who provided the assist.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

brucie and wivel are united!
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Atmosphere plays a big part for me...yes I started in the gloomy mid 80s in front of 1000 and it was dire. But I remember the 87 88 season at the 2 scunthorpe games and it was electric ( who else was at this games ). I was very hooked from then on. Ok we might have the odd game with half decent atmosphere noe but few and far between. Ok I don't go to many home games now but my dad does so I do get reports of him.

Off point but remember a new stadium might have worse atmosphere it's worrying. That for me as least keeps people coming back. Get it all ties into the quality of the football , what we are playing for and what divison we are in. Having said all that sometimes relegation battle create as least as much of a atmosphere.

Not much of a point but it's all I can come up with and I'm sick of typing out atmosphere.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

York City lost at home to Gatehead 3-1 and North Ferriby lost 1-0 at home to Lincoln City. Good results for United.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

kinder results tonight -

York City 1 - 3 Gateshead
Tranmere Rovers 2 - 1 Boreham Wood
North Ferriby United 0 - 1 Lincoln City
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Well what a stroke of luck after todays dismal display, Bromley, Eastleigh, Woking, Guiseley, Solihull and Southport all lose, thus pointless, and Braintree and Maidstone share the spoils getting a point each , North Ferriby, who take 3 points but we are 5 points clear of them. York still bottom where I expect them to remain after they play Lincoln away on Tues night

The downside is we had a great opportunity to take 2-3 points out of all our potential relegation rivals today and blew it big time.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

I told you earlier in the week the management is not good enough, neither are the tactics nor the players. The way things are going, this club is **** with a (still in situ) chairman sitting on his hands, a General Manager who ~ when asked today if the club were still looking for a striker ~ reckons that: "the manager has three already (Williams, Harrad, Reid, Keating??) "like a sweet shop".......... and a team management/coaching team that just cannot get their side to do anything properly or professionally for ninety minutes.

I warned you all not to take as given they are still looking for a striker!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

A general manager who probably has his eyes on a certain persons job....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

What a sad state of affairs, 1 point from relegation and no signs of any improvement from the Board, Manager or squad.

The club is collapsing under the weight of its own incompetence!

Why are we're bringing in bench warmers!
If they are not able to make an immediate impact, send them back!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: