GIs first month

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

GIs first month

Post by bixieupnorth »

so have they actually done anything at all, have they contributed a single penny to our cause?? the only thing i've heard about is that they said nico could use bliss's sale money on the squad. so unless i've missed it there has been nothing else at all!!
unless you know different of course!
still keeping the faith
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

From what I can gather, their primary focus is only on one thing at the moment!....

Vultures :@
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

They are not stupid and they know that the revenue streams they so very badly need to instil at Plainmoor will be much less effective if relegation does occur. Money HAS been made available to the manager but he cannot persuade some of the players he wants to commit to signing for such a poor side in some cases far away from home for a contract that can only run until May.

Only last week Manchester (where Barrow prepare and train) based Andy Howarth chose Macclesfield over Torquay and who can blame him?

The club have got Harrad in again even though his family home is in the East Midlands and now have to face up to the serious family crisis he currently has to give priority to. GI have only owned the club for five minutes and (if they have any sense) need time to evaluate and formulate a better way forward. If that means keeping the same management and giving them better resources OK; if that means changing the management that will need to be done but in the meantime the onus is on the current management who got the club into this mess on the field to get us out of it!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

NOTHING!

And wont do anything either.

What they will do is make money out of the fans.

I cant see where they have made additional funds available. Blisset went for a fee, Gerring has gone out on loan, reserve goalkeeper gone. And we have what 3 new additions.

Any money that was put up, and in the future, I predict will be a loan! How they organize that we shall see. But I hold my long term view, GI will not in any way put any amount of sufficient funding to secure a decent footballing side. Wish, dream all you like, wont happen. Because IF they wanted to do that, NOW is the time. Most new owners would at least try and make an impact. But this lot havnt.
TUST MEMBER
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Neal wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 10:20 NOTHING!

And wont do anything either.

What they will do is make money out of the fans.

But I hold my long term view, GI will not in any way put any amount of sufficient funding to secure a decent footballing side. Wish, dream all you like, wont happen. Because IF they wanted to do that, NOW is the time. Most new owners would at least try and make an impact. But this lot havnt.
Of course they want to make money from the fans, and the way to do that is by having a successful side. But as merse correctly points out it is not going to be easy to attract players to this particular club. Players have a certain freedom and right to choose their employer, just because you have the money doesn't mean they will necessarily want to come

The mess we are in is due to the previous regimes who have run the club, GI are only just starting out.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Didn't the players travel by car to Bromley yesterday? Just an indication that bugger all has changed. Mind you a couple of bulbs in the floodlights have been changed so things are obviously on the up.

I see Harrad as a complete waste of space in any case. Bloody stupid management in my book signing him again when everybody (bar the manager) seems to think that it would have been a complete waste of time.

Potentially whatever you think of Williams he is far more likely to score goals than Harrad so Nicholson would have been far better employed trying to get a target man in.

As Merse says - who in their right mind would sign for us anyway, when the best preparation we can provide for an away games is to travel to and from an away game in a bloody car?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Neal wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 10:20I cant see where they have made additional funds available. Blisset went for a fee, Gerring has gone out on loan, reserve goalkeeper gone. And we have what 3 new additions.
You're being hysterical because the manager hasn't been successful in getting his targets in; that doesn't mean he hasn't been given the wherewithal to do so. The goalkeeper left of his own volition and his wages were underwritten by the Gibraltarian FA during his stay at Plainmoor.

We don't know if there is any saving on Gerring's wages or not; what I know is he is patently not good enough to play at this level and his pantomime at Maidstone was the final straw......if he went on a wage saving exercise then that was presumably to accommodate Raccine but GI's football manager brought a player in with a history of knee problems and the result is sadly what happened last week. I would say the responsibility or onus for that mis-firing gamble rests more on the manager than the owners wouldn't you?

You're saying 'Blissett went for a fee' ~ yes he did and that was due to be re-invested in Kieffer Moore and we all know what happened there. There was a tranche of MacDonald money (£50k) due after the GI takeover but the previous board manouvered it forward because they were unable to pay the December wages.

No doubt the manager has another target (well I hope he does) to fill the role he envisaged for Moore and he will have the resources for that from the Moore rejection.

Blissett went three months without scoring before Boxing Day, so he was hardly the missing component we have all been painfully aware of all season was he. There are ambitious young strikers playing a couple of levels below National League that the manager has been made aware of who are surely worth getting in to have a look at; players who would walk the 200 miles to Plainmoor to further their ambitions; who are NOT academy players and who survive week to week in the cut and thrust and competitiveness of part-time professional football AND hold down a job they would love to drop given the chance. Sift amongst that sort of shopping list and you might come up with the answer, an answer that is both affordable and 'do-able' because (most importantly) the player actually wants the opportunity offered to him. But the manager won't do that if he is squirreled away down in Torquay every afternoon picking his kids up from school will he. Getting in the car, travelling to other parts of the country and actually fining out for himself might do the trick!

I'm neither fool enough to think GI are altruistic or sugar daddies; but I am realistic enough to reckon that they will not want any business under their umbrella to run into the ground which will be at great cost to themselves.
Last edited by merse btpir on 05 Feb 2017, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

The deal hasn't even be ratified yet by the National league has it??
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

Not that anyone has been told it hasn't; no
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

No leadership off the pitch; a manager out of his depth will only lead to ....more disappointment and bitterness amongst those of us who care.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, that's one thing that sprung to my mind as I read down through the thread, there has been no evidence of the deal being ratified by the national league yet, so I guess G.I can only go so far until such a time, their ownership of our club is ratified, if hasn't, as suggested above, then why not ?

I've posted a few times over the last months, no business acquires another to protect it's investment, to then asset strip it and run it in to the ground, to the point they have to close it, it costs money, a lot of money to close a business, that's not how you protect an investment. And whilst I have no inside knowledge, I've always believed this notion they want to build on Plainmoor to be a false one.

As I posted once before, and no one picked up on it, if memory serves my right, part of the Bristows bench build cost was met with education authority money, the adjoining school as we know has classrooms under the stand, any future development of Plainmoor would surely result in Bristows bench having to be left in situ, any development of Plainmoor with out the bench would be small fry, with the bench left intact, by time you add in the legal minimum requirement for parking spaces, no, no it isn't going to happen.

Yes, G.I are after building land, but as, I and others have said in the past, their eyes are on a bigger prize, a prize they will not get if the club went bust.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 05 Feb 2017, 12:28 part of the Bristows bench build cost was met with education authority money, the adjoining school as we know has classrooms under the stand.....
According to my understanding, the undercroft beneath the stand is still not utilised by the club to it's maximum potential and that is one of the prime aspects of the Gaming International assessment of the situation at the moment.....

Previous directors have been quizzed as to quite why this is and also just why there was serious discord amongst them at the time of it's commissioning as to exactly how it was designed and constructed with a few significant board members furious that certain aspects were overlooked when they were adamant that they should be included.

Situations such as not re-locating the directors and major sponsors facilities and seating in that stand, freeing up the old space in the Family Stand and therefore providing the opportunity of increasing revenue streams so badly needed.

It might have been a 'fine addition' to the stadium and replacement for the old near to it's end of life span grandstand, but in my view; blandly designed without imagination and little different to the vast array of similar constructions to found on other grounds. The failure to utilise the best views of the action for the benefit of sponsors and other financial backers was stupid in the extreme; but then under the 'leadership' of a chairman of the time who's idea of a matchday was donning a replica shirt and standing on the terraces what do you expect?

I note that Simon Baker is patently NOT one of those former directors who's input has been sought in this first month of their ownership and in the circumstances I'm not surprised!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Thank the Lord they didn't seek his "expertise".
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

They don't need a successful side, as they said, it doesn't matter what league we are in, just a side / club that pays the rent.

Anyway we shall see :) And I feel confident in returning to this thread in the coming months and reminding you lot what I said!
TUST MEMBER