Gulls abroad

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Phil Wetten
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Gulls abroad

Post by Phil Wetten »

Just interested to know how many true supporters follow the gulls religiously while away from the UK, I am living and working in Malawi, and would like to hear from any fellow gulls fans in this part of the world, or elsewhere
philgull1
Trialist
Trialist

Post by philgull1 »

I am a British expat living in The Philippines where the national sport is basketball.I used to go with my late mum & sister to every home game.I have following/supporting Torquay for a long time where they have been several managers ( Cyril Knowls,Don O Riordon,Leroy Rosenior,Dave Smith,Kevin Hodges,Wes Saunders and under different owners as well ( Mike Bateson with Modec Windows etc).Have als been to Wembley twice ( Bolton in Sherpa Van)
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

Ive been supporting Torquay since Oct 1959 when my dad took me to watch the gulls play Notts County ( lost 1-3) and I even had trials with the club back in 1963 but decided to run away to sea ,I have been living in Melbourne Australia since 1974 but get back every couple of years to watch the gulls as I still have family living in Devon.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

I lived in the Netherlands from 2012 to 2016 and I tried to listen to as many games as I could. I remember my German housemate was astounded that there was professional football in the 5th division. I'm moving to Launceston in Cornwall next week which is only an hour's drive from Torquay apparently, can't wait to go to my first home game in 5 years.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

As long as you have internet you can listen to every Torquay United game anywhere in the world. Either by logging on to Radio Devon (best via the BBC non-league page or you might end up listening to Argyle) or by paying a small amount to join Gulls Player on the official website which relays the BBC Radio Devon coverage.
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ausgull »

Hi Midtable, I do that already via live stream on Radio Devon but with the exception of last Saturday when the gulls won ,imagine sitting by your computer at 2.00am in the morning ( Melbourne time ) listening to the gulls on Radio Devon and after another depressing defeat go to bed and try and get to sleep, its almost impossible and you keep saying to yourself why do you do it!
davethegull2
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by davethegull2 »

I've been in Asia since 2004. Currently in Phuket. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain that my team is Torquay not Turkey! Every Saturday night I sit on my balcony with the commo from the bbc link through a VPN, It's blocked here otherwise. There used to be a yahoo messenger cyber terrace with a few of us chatting during the game. Usually it was only me, Mervo and Gray but a couple of others used to pop in from time to time. Maybe we should start it up again.
Tufc_mark
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: GG

Post by Tufc_mark »

Wow Ausgull another Melbourne gulls fan. You are number 4 that i know of now. Our flock is growing. I have the tunein app and look it up through 'bbc live event '. Found gulls player too unreliable. Also can listen to midweek games on the train to work.
Uberwozza-san
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Uberwozza-san »

Born in Babbacombe and grew up in the Mini Stand in 70s and 80s

moved to London 90's and 0's but still saw lots of away games and the odd home game

now in Tokyo watching events with GI from afar (and concern)

Want to stay at Plainmoor!

You Aussies been to Torquay in Victoria?? lovely place and just like the real thing! :)
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Post by Tired Old Gull »

davethegull2 wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 07:03 I've been in Asia since 2004. Currently in Phuket. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain that my team is Torquay not Turkey! Every Saturday night I sit on my balcony with the commo from the bbc link through a VPN, It's blocked here otherwise. There used to be a yahoo messenger cyber terrace with a few of us chatting during the game. Usually it was only me, Mervo and Gray but a couple of others used to pop in from time to time. Maybe we should start it up again.
davethegull2 - this is from one of the other fan's forums, posted by Mervo:

www.torquayunited.net is open on match days for game chat...no password required.
Make up a name and be as anonymous as you want. All comments are automatically removed at end of game.
Ignore the developer donation link.
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ausgull »

Hi Uberwozza-san, I have been to Torquay in Victoria many times as I live on the other side of the bay in a place called Bonbeach and yes its a nice place but no comparison to Torquay in Devon as their is no Wetherspoons in Torquay Victoria!
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

Ausgull wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 11:15 Hi Uberwozza-san, I have been to Torquay in Victoria many times as I live on the other side of the bay in a place called Bonbeach and yes its a nice place but no comparison to Torquay in Devon as their is no Wetherspoons in Torquay Victoria!
It's all change on the 'Spoons front, Ausgull. Clocktower is now no longer a Spoons (it's closed at the moment, having recently been taken over by Yates), and they've refurbed Green Ginger although it doesn't look much different, in fairness (they've got rid of the dance floor and put some table/booths in). It's all change :)
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Good to see Mervo using dotNET domain as a match day chat, great idea. Thanks for sharing.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

For those of you like Ausgull "imagine sitting by your computer at 2.00am in the morning ( Melbourne time ) listening to the gulls on Radio Devon" there is a way to listen in comfort. Wireless headphones allows you to listen in bed or depending on the time, relax in the garden as you contemplate that if we go one up there is a good chance we might even draw.
AdelaideGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by AdelaideGull »

As the name would suggest another Aussie gull fan, been here for 11 years. Prior to that lived in Wigan, Warminster and Frampton Cotterell (just north of M4/M5 interchange) I was back over at Xmas but didn't get to the FGR games as in Cardiff visiting family. Used to get back 3 or 4 times a year as worked for a wine company (not now) last games I got to were the season were we beat Argyle with that Euan "special" and the end of that season (or was it the season after) when we drew 3 - 3 with Bristol Rovers (?).

Grew up in and around Plainmoor as my gran lived in St Paul's Road. Used to play football on the "cabbage patch" before they built the Plainmoor pool on it. A former Torre Trojan - u13 through to U16's - best times were when the mini stand was built and in full force! Favourite player was Jimmy Dunne (and Mickey Cave) so really talking about 68 through to 74 (?)

When I came back for the Argyle game had my picture taken with Aaron Downes via Andrew Candy - not sure what happened to it though??

Whilst my mother still lives in Cary Park I try and get over a couple of times a year.

Still miss real beer, banter and Englishness (is there such a word?) don't miss the weather and general greyness of anywhere I visit... Keep the faith everyone, when I win the Aussie lottery I'll come back and buy the club!!