Face from the past

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

It was Ken Gibbs who shouted for Lew Pope to jump.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

As far as I remember my first replica shirt was for the Sherpa Van Final in 1989. I cant recall shirts being available before then ?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

As a matter of fact, replica kits were first made available in 1977 and they were made in Plymouth by Pilgrim Sports; a company introduced to Plainmoor by Mike Green.

They didn't go down at all well as did neither the actual kit worn by the team manly I think because it had replaced the iconic triple striped white kit of the Malcom Musgrove era that he had commissioned by Umbro after seeing similar kits in Holland.

The Pilgrim kits only lasted one season (1977-78) and were superceded by a higher quality Bukta range ~ Bukta actually being the same marketing firm as Umbro ~ who remained the kit supplier until David Webb commissioned Oscar and the hated 'Chelsea' look of 1984-86.

A firm called Henson then produced a return to the traditional yellow and blue followed closely by Coastline, CS and Ribero......remember all those?

In recent years, Vandanel, Sondico and Joma have all been the suppliers. Now under different ownerships but at one time all in the same stable as Vandanel who I personally remember as a home assembly set-up using a prefabricated shed in Shernal Street Walthamstow to finish off products that were manufactured in a host of homes around East London.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: 01 Feb 2017, 17:36 It was Ken Gibbs who shouted for Lew Pope to jump.
....... and then the rest of us quickly joined in ! :)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I remember loads of kids at school having the buckta kit from 79/80.

As far as I remember, Stuart Morgan (who Dave Webb appointed) resigned to go to Weymouth. I'm not sure he got the contract he was after at Plainmoor and as such Cyril came in. Pope also appointed Dave Smith. Two proper managers, the like of which we have rarely seen since, and it is shame that neither had more time than they were given.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Yea I remember the kits of the 86 87 season...yellow rotolok...few mates had them and my brother..
Merse you mention ribero ...seem to remember playing red star Belgrade in a friendly and for months I wanted a top but out of stock...unless my dad was fibbing me....
I've still my Wembley t shirt with all the scores on the back from the previous games....white with tufc logo on front....