Face from the past

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Tired Old Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Smith

Face from the past

Post by Tired Old Gull »

It was good to see Mr Mike Bateson at Plainmoor yesterday morning - he was coming out with the new owner? (I assume) as I was going into the office. He even stopped to chat with a few fans who recognised him, I wonder if the HE have latched onto this yet.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

One great memory of Bateson is that when, after the 1-8 home defeat by Scunthorpe, he approached the pop. side fans, to be met with howls of protest. O'Riordan was hiding in the dressing rooms!
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Bateson can't be the 'former director' that GI have been speaking to, can he? He's been to no matches since 2007, it's suspicious that he'd pop up now, but the logical side of me says he was thoroughly fed up of running the club and the fans were fed up of him (for right or wrong) so GI would be making more than a stumble to bring him back into the tent as anything other than an advisor. He's certainly not an appointment that could generate positive vibes amongst the fanbase and get them on GI's side.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

Funny how we have different views on people. I for one would be very happy to see Mike Bateson involved again. I know it all fell apart in his final year and what a mistake he made with Roberts. But I always felt up to that point with him in charge we were very stable on and off the pitch. Wouldn't mind a bit if boring stability now.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Totally agree.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Only Chairman in the past 15 years who could balance the books. Look how far we have fallen since his departure and that's with at least an extra 5 million ploughed into the club.
Maybe we don't need his money however his business acumen speaks for itself.

If his Grandson gets a start, you know it's odds on he's coming back. 😉
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular

Post by SenorDingDong »

S4fedr1ve wrote: 29 Jan 2017, 21:34 Funny how we have different views on people. I for one would be very happy to see Mike Bateson involved again. I know it all fell apart in his final year and what a mistake he made with Roberts. But I always felt up to that point with him in charge we were very stable on and off the pitch. Wouldn't mind a bit if boring stability now.
That's why I said 'for right or wrong'. Bateson always did balance the books even if it meant a number of seasons of real struggle, lack of ambition and the annual exhibition of trial days with every Tom, Dick and Harry from France/Panama/god knows where appearing a few weeks before the start of the season. Even with decent funding through Thea Bristow, we did performed worse in getting relegated than 90% of the seasons under Bateson, so he definitely has some qualities.

Despite this I distinctly remember the last few years of Bateson's ownership, fans were visibly fed up of it, especially when if we'd only invested a 5th of the David Graham money we'd have stayed up in League One during our last spell there. When Chris Roberts bought the club many people were relieved...before the reality of Roberts emerged.

If GI want to bring fans back, reinvigorate the fanbase and make a statement about the future, Mike Bateson, for all his qualities, is not the man to do so. This being said, I highly doubt he is being tapped up for that role, they were probably just talking to him about his experiences and probing him for advice.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Bateson in my opinion did a good job. I can remember hI'm saying a owner could work hard and enjoy a humble salary of 30000 to 35000 grand a year. I was at Barnet in 2001 last game and can still picture him smoking his roll ups during the game...working class bloke who knew his business and not wastefull.

Owe him a lot for some good times and sorry how it has gone so wrong since
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Mike Bateson was a top bloke. Apparently he didn't really like football but I met him in the away end of a relegation six pointer at Mansfield. He was just like any other fan really, living and breathing every minute of the game, and he had a lot of time for my two young sons I had with me.

I never thought I would see the day when he turned up at Plainmoor again. Great to see he was there.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If all what you say is right and Brucie I believe you as you talk how it is get him back as there are not many people like that about.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I remember a brief chat to Mike Bateson at the end of a season when we escaped relegation on the last game and was very impressed with his passion and commitment. I too would welcome the common-sense approach to financing a football club which he brought - OK we would always struggle to get out of the fourth tier but at least we didn't sink to where we are now on his watch.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Mike Bateson also contributed on here, until he got sick of the slagging off. He got a lot of abuse for a good number of years, no wonder he couldn't wait to get out of it. He said many times football was like no other business in that it just hemorrhaged money with no guarantee of anything.
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I used to have some interesting conversations with him on here. Top bloke in my opinion. Anyone who could do what he did on a shoestring knows how to run a business. Unfortunately we've had a few since then who couldn't run the proverbial piss-up in a brewery.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Aaaah. Good old Mike Bateson. It took four minutes from we sent a request of approval for founding Torquay United Supporters Norway (Norway Gulls) until we got the OK from him. A very good friend of us and a honorary member of the Norway Gulls.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by KeithMalone »

Great to hear some respect for Mike, certainly a case of you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Makes me wonder how successful we could have been with his business acumen and Thea's money!

I remember people always criticized him for charging interest on the loan he had to the club. Those of us who know a thing or 2 about accounts will tell you it is standard practice as it ensures people within the business don't piss money up the wall (like they did with the Bristows in charge.) and whilst it harms the club, it is a cruel to be kind measure as it acts as a safety barrier with the owner recouping something on his/her investment and Batseon never let that amount get too large to the point of it being impossible for the club to repay!

He wasn't without his downsides (the sale to Roberts, but he made that right by buying the club back off him). I'd far rather have him in charge than any of the clowns of recent years so am pleased to hear he is around the club as it may be he ensures its survival on a shoestring like he did for many years before and whilst it wasn't always pretty (finishing bottom 3 years out of 5 or something like that) you always knew with Mike in charge the club was a going concern, something that you certainly cannot say with the likes of Phillips and co.