We need another keeper

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

We need another keeper

Post by Gullscorer »

Goalkeeper Robba is leaving the Gulls to return to Malta*. Can't blame him; he has a chance of international games there. Since joining the club last year he has not had a game with us. So good luck to him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38769191 http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 40255.aspx

But what happens if another club comes in for Moore (one of the best keepers in our league?) with an offer we (and he) cannot refuse? We need to be prepared for that eventuality before it happens. Presumably Nicho is sorting out another keeper. Is Moore the only keeper we have now? Anyone know of any spare goalkeepers?

* Correction: it's Gibraltar not Malta.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 28 Jan 2017, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Just the local lads who were hanging around in pre-season I think.
It's going to be difficult to find a number two 'keeper when the chances are they won't make their debut until the next pre-season given our lack of cup games and reserve team.
Ideally we'll find an experienced former pro who is working on his badges and will be happy working as a player coach to gain experience - whatever experience there is to gain from coaching 1 player.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Is Kevin Miller (I think that was his name?) still the unofficial TUFC goalkeeping coach? Last season he was coaching a couple of days a week, but I have not heard anything recently.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Think its Gibraltar rather than Malta that he's returning to.
Wish they'd used him in the cup matches at the very least. But I guess at the time, they needed to have the best GK in the squad against Woking for the potential 12.5K windfall that never happened.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The match day programme lists Kenny Griffiths as the Goalkeeping Coach. Anybody actually seen him?
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

You won't see Kenny at Saturday games as he will be playing for Galmpton united, he is usually at Tuesday evening matches.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I'm glad Kevin has not played him he was not good enough if you had traveled to Saltash or in Bideford when he played in in the Cup game you will know what I mean. I think Torquay did well out of him though. =D
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

I find it very odd that Robba was given no game time at all. If he did ok, then we would have 2 good goalies, one of whom could be safely off-loaded for a fee without leaving us with an emergency. Smacks of mis-management - as does thrusting a young, nervous Lee straight into the team without assessing him, as does bringing Young back on an artificial pitch, as does acquiring various loan players and not playing them, as does persisting with Rowe-Turner, as does not playing Williams, as does.............................z...z..z.z....z.z.z.z.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.