Barnsley fan in peace

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
red1289
Trialist
Trialist

Barnsley fan in peace

Post by red1289 »

Good evening, just a message to inform you of how your former skipper Angus Macdonald has fared since joining Barnsley.
Over the past few years we've redeveloped our strategy in the transfer market and have looked to recruit talented footballers from lower down the football pyramid. Like Angus, we've signed players with game experience and, where possible, footballers who have leadership credentials.

When we first brought him in it was on the back of the sale of Alfie Mawson, who now plays for Swansea. Initially, he was seen by many fans as someone who we would steadily develop as a squad player. However, he was thrust into first team action immediately upon Mawsons sale and kept a couple of clean sheets in resounding 4 nil victories.

Although by his own admission he found it a tough step up, he's looked really competent and a real find. He's got plenty of attributes and I can see him attracting the attention of the bigger hitters in our league. Still amazes me that three of our back four (Roberts, Yiadom and MacDonald) all played at England C level just a few years ago. There's plenty of British talent out there its just a case of clubs higher up giving it a chance!

I was interested to find your perspective on what you thought of him during his time with you? Could you see his potential and did it come as a surprise that we (a championship club) bought him?

Thank you
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Get off the forum you Barnsley donkey!!! :rofl:

But seriously it was a bit of a surprise when he moved to Oakwell....

He did well at TUFC and became a vital player in the team... could do with him now.... :-/

Have seen him a few times in the red of Barnsley and on the whole he's done well regarding the step up. :clap:

Hope it continues.

Up the Gulls & Tykes..... =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

welcome Barnsley red, yes you have picked up a bargain there thats for sure, hope he continues the way he has been playing and make us some more money.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Impressed with your win against Leeds-do we get any more for Angus if you get promoted to the Premiership!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

so the move to norwich was utter bullshit then?? i really had my hopes up then, couldve solved all our problems for a good while , as usual it was too good to be true!
still keeping the faith
red1289
Trialist
Trialist

Post by red1289 »

Thank you for the responses.
Glad to see a fellow Barnsley native on here ;-) Always kept tracks on Nicky Wroe - made a good career from the game!

Regarding the move to Norwich, I'm not sure what's happening. There's lots of rumors about our players at the moment and without a chief executive handling negotiations, who knows! Latest news on that deal is Norwich have offered £2.5m having been rebuffed for an initial £1.5m. Would be crazy if he left so soon and for such a higher fee. That's the nature of football though.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Norwich have offered £2.5m. Now that would be very good news all round if a deal is done.

I must dig out my prayer mat!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

weird that. given that I heard the Barnsley manager on the steam driven radio deny he had made any bid for McDonald.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Gloster I think you mean the Barnsley manager "denied he had RECEIVED any bid for McDonald.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

According to Norfolkgull Angus at Norwich today to discuss personal terms. Fee £2.5m.