Time to go Mr Nicholson... POOR

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

I think the biggest worry for me is he is openly admitting they aren't doing what he's asking them to do. This suggests to me he's lost their respect and is there anyway back from that?

Scary times.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Nice and relaxed, easy training days, players have plenty of time to pick a pass and score worldly goals. Scratch theirs balls and have a laugh. Fully focused on next Saturdays night out.

Our last 2 wins were against FGR where KN openly admitted that in both games he had no control over their actions on the pitch. Forrest Gumps' Box of Chocolates springs to mind!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote: 22 Jan 2017, 01:15 They definitely didn't buy him because he couldn't get into FGR's first team. The performances the manager got from him and the goals scored while here are definitely why Ipswich decided to take a punt.
On this basis Williams, two goals (could have been three) in two sub appearances, should be off soon then - for a fee.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Why would the two even be linked in your strange comparison? A young hungry player who had a prolific spell with us as opposed to a journeyman player with a habit of scoring goals at this level but with questionable workrate. At least provide some relevance.............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonYellow wrote: 22 Jan 2017, 08:17 I think the biggest worry for me is he is openly admitting they aren't doing what he's asking them to do. This suggests to me he's lost their respect and is there anyway back from that?

Scary times.
He's not lost their respect at all, he's lost the only real quality he had in his squad, all from the spine of his team. It takes money to replace those players, not squad fillers. GI will be loving the apathy and divide amongst the fans, that is money in the bank to them. Far better to get behind the team and the manager because for the timebeing that is all we have. Is this situation ideal? No, far from it but does anyone seriously believe getting rid of Nicholson and giving Harrop his big chance will work? Will Steve Tully come in and do any better with these players? I doubt it, possible maybe but be realistic, and be careful what you wish for. I said the same at the time of Martin Ling being dismissed when I could see exactly what was about to happen. For the price of the wages of three half decent central players we could rise the table to safety, I would trust Nicholson to do that if he was given the funds, he's done it once already. Giving him the figure of £300 a week to get a player isn't going to attract much is it?

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Yep think we will lol!
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

When Nicho was given £100k+ of GI money last season (the infamous loan) he put together a team that in the second half of the season played with playoff form.

Not so long ago at the club up the road they were screaming for Paul Tisdale's head. Look where they are now.

Rarely, if ever, does sacking the manager achieve anything. Bring in some quality players and watch us rise up the table.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

:goodpost:

Our second half of the season form last year wasn't luck, it shows what Nicho can do when he is able to get the players in he believes the starting 11 needs, not just bench fillers.

Give the man the time and the money and we will not be in this position come the end of the season.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

For those calling for Nicho's head, care to offer some suggestions for alternatives? Because I haven't seen any so far.

I've seen some comments saying people would fancy it - but who? We have been an absolute basket case of a football club for a number of years. Performances have been poor since the FGR games, yes. It has been acknowledged that we tend to up our game more against the better sides - one of whom come to town on Saturday. As Dave has said on a number of occasions, any manager that loses the core of his side with no money for replacements is ALWAYS going to struggle in the aftermath.
Flipper
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Angus Mac

Post by Flipper »

A Realist wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 23:54
While Blisset was at the club, Nicholson decided to make his "marquee" signing a striker who he doesn't fancy. McDonald was sold early and he had adequate time to find a replacement. He brought in McGinty. He also had the chance to resign a midfielder who made it abundantly clear he wanted to stay in Racchi and let him move on. Then brought in a known injury prone player in Lathrope. Although he's a decent player him getting injured was as inevitable as Sunday following Saturday.

Thats not bad luck. Its not him being usurped by those behind the scenes. Its bad management.
Yes Angus was sold but he didn't have any if that money to spend on a replacement. He still only had the same budget as beforehand to work with. A's for Racchi, his wage Bill was the same as the cost of three of the current squad. There has been no money for him. He's working with his hands tied. Who do you expect him to sign ? And don't forget that even loan signings have to be paid so your reliant on the parent club cutting a deal and paying a proportion of it.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Some posters on here talk absolute b*llocks.
Get rid! Get rid!!
I've nothing but admiration for KN - I'll hold my hands up and say I thought we were doomed when he got the job, but I doff my cap to what he managed to achieve.
"The great escape" was down to decent funding and he used the money well.
Now we have nothing. The last regime f*ucked it up re season ticket pricing, players have left or been injured and having to drive players to away games.
I'd love to know who the "experts" on here think would
A) want to come in and
B) work with a non existent budget.
Get real for gods sake.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

It's good to see more on here facing the realities of being a manager of Torquay United in the present mess the club is in. If the manager was Kevin Nicholson or anyone else, I wouldn't be in favour of replacing. He had virtually no budget to bting in players. I also would have liked Danny Raachi, and also Josh Rees, signed up but Rees was offered a better deal at Chelmsford (National South) and Raachi ....... does anyone know who he is playing for ??? It is often said that players shouldn't be affected by what is going on off the field, but they are bound to be affected as those off the field are their employers.

As well as Luke Young's injury, we have also been without Gallifuoco. Okay - he is no Angus MacDonald, but he is a damn sight better than Gerring. AS Gullpower has posted, before Christmas fans up the road were calling for Paul Tisdale to go. They aren't any more ! Alan Pardew got the push at Crystal Palace. They are still losing.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

I have the utmost respect for Nicho and the way he conducts himself in totally shite circumstances. I don't think getting rid of him is the answer.

BUT

The lack of clear tactics and a game plan is not influenced by budget or off field shenanigans. That's down to Nicho and Robbie. It's really been bothering me this whole season how we just don't have a clear idea of how we should be playing. Lumping it long seems to be the default. I don't have a problem with that if there's a plan attached to it. Lumping it long to a bloke on his own surrounded by three or four defenders is pointless. Lumping it long to a bloke with two or three chaps running off him if (in the unlikely event) bloke number one wins it in the air is fine. Worked well for Man UTD last weekend.

It's complete rubbish that any of our squad are not capable of following instructions. They play football for a living. They can listen and, as long as the instructions are simple enough for their limited ability, they should be able to follow them. You might come up against a good team or an individual that prevents you from carrying out those instructions to the letter for 90 minutes. Happens all the time in football. But some instructions to start with would be good.

If you put eleven average players on the pitch with a sound tactical plan, you'll win some games. Not all but some.

If you put eleven average players on the pitch with no plan, you get what we've got now, with us making other shite teams look good.

I think Kev will be a good manager. He's not a good manager yet though and he needs some help.
GullatPlainmoor
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by GullatPlainmoor »

Kevin has done what he can above and beyond the call of duty because he is a great bloke and loves the club.Not many managers would do so much as he has.
However, it has been mentioned in quite a few posts about the teams main attacking tactic, .......which is to hoof it up the pitch. :'( This works so poorly for us and watching any decent team, successful attacks are mostly built up from the back PASSING through to midfield, PASSING out to wing backs who make for the line, crosses, to head or feet... then goals!!!! or from midfield, strikers running on to route 1 balls.
My concern is that Kevin, as our left back over the years, was forever hoofing the ball from defence. When under pressure it was his first/main option. Now he was great at throw ins and dead ball kicks and was also reasonable until of late (age slows us all down) at defending and I know loved playing for our club but I begin to feel what hope have we for passing/building attacks when it was the managers preferred option to hoof when moving out with the ball from defence.

Perhaps he does need some expert help on better tatics but I do not know if Harrop is the right man.

I will say again, I have the greatest respect for his commitment to the club and the amount of work and roles he puts in.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

starting with williams would maybe help , Harrod has never been a prolific scorer but maybe along side williams we will maybe get something.