Time to go Mr Nicholson... POOR

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

He's totally out of his depth. Time's up. And he knows it. Walk away before being fired.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Would you give up your job in that way and put yourself out of work!

He might be thinking about things but I don't believe that will be the outcome ...
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 21:38 He's totally out of his depth. Time's up. And he knows it. Walk away before being fired.
Out of depth is a bit harsh. He knows he needs a prolific striker, just look at the results under Moore (striker). If the current players do not want to play for Nicholson, then none of them have a future in football. We need a goalscorer, fast. The fact is the last board had no money or desire to spend. Sacking Nicholson is not the right move now, he needs help in player investment. The previous board kept us up through loans but at the time Nicholson recruited the right personnel as a result. Sack him , but good luck to the next manager. The fact is Nicholson knew the issues of finance, and true to his word has never complained. But now we have think hard.
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think most of the supporters have got to get real if we are to survive we will have to go part-time as G.I. are sure to slash the wage bill at the end of the season.
The club will have to survive on its own.
The Chairman took a gamble at the start of the season by increasing the wage bill to try and compete to get back up but instead we are struggling to survive.This gamble is killing the club.
Nichos has done his best but it's not fair to judge under the conditions he's working under but he does need experience alongside him and I am not saying Harrop.
If G.I. had intentions of making a success of Torquay United they would be shouting it from the roof tops.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

GI are confirming their true intentions. Having been given the go ahead to be the new owners they are standing by watching it fall apart, maybe that suits their end goal. It's. Time the Fans had a chance to take care of the club and show what they can do for the club and not what the club can do for them.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonYellow wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 19:22 Funny how KN is immune to criticism from some. The previous board, the current owners, Geoff bloody Harrop are all evil but don't sack good old Kev because he also drives the mini bus.

Don't get me wrong the promotional work he does for the club is admirable but he's paid to manage the team and performances just aren't good enough. Most of the players don't even look interested anymore. We have no plan B and plan A rarely works anyway.

Every week we get told it's unacceptable and he'll do his best to rectify it and yet all the evidence presented to us the following Saturday suggests he can't.

He would be great in a community development/youth role. Being a legend for the club does not make you a legendary manager.

I was against his appointment at the start and I hold my hands up that he did a fantastic job in keeping us up. But he looks lost at the moment.

Many of his supporters told us doubters to wait until he had assembled his own squad, to judge him then, well this is his squad and its rapidly approaching judgement day.

If you owned the club would you give him any of YOUR money to spend on players???
Absolutely nonsensical. I criticised the main area I feel Nico is getting it wrong just this week. What I can't do is slag a man who has had the spine of his team ripped out, Angus sold, Luke Young out injured after another long lay-off, and Blissett sold. He's lost the spine of his team and you can't just recover from that without investment. If you know anything about football you'll know just how important that area of the side is, it dictates how you play and set up as a side. Try losing that and add all his other tasks on top and offer that role to another manager. See how attractive the proposition is to decent proven managers. We're a basket case of a club right now and Nico knows exactly what he needs to improve the team. He's scraping the bottom of the barrel but has somehow netted a decent transfer fee for Angus with potentially a lot more to come, made Blissett worth money and turned Kieffer Moore into a player signed by a Championship side. If he's given the resources he's proved he can do it. With no investment not even Alex Ferguson could polish our turd of a team. Get real, he can do the job but not with his hands tied behind his back.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Got to agree with Dave here, of course 4 wins in 18 isn't good enough but look at it from the perspective of having 0 budget, losing your best CB to a champ team who is now flourishing and being reported at being worth a 1.5 mil fee, blissett to Plymouth and the factor of having our most creative midfielder out injured just goes to show that the job isn't as easy as we think it probably is! The way he gets players from the NL to the championship, league 1 and 2 sides shows that has the potential to get players in and improving them.. if he has room to move player wise! He has downfalls,signing Harrad again for one and his tactical management is poor but who else would do the job for us right now? Give him time and money to spend and I'm sure he will flourish.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 22:47

Absolutely nonsensical. I criticised the main area I feel Nico is getting it wrong just this week. What I can't do is slag a man who has had the spine of his team ripped out, Angus sold, Luke Young out injured after another long lay-off, and Blissett sold. He's lost the spine of his team and you can't just recover from that without investment. If you know anything about football you'll know just how important that area of the side is, it dictates how you play and set up as a side. Try losing that and add all his other tasks on top and offer that role to another manager. See how attractive the proposition is to decent proven managers. We're a basket case of a club right now and Nico knows exactly what he needs to improve the team. He's scraping the bottom of the barrel but has somehow netted a decent transfer fee for Angus with potentially a lot more to come, made Blissett worth money and turned Kieffer Moore into a player signed by a Championship side. If he's given the resources he's proved he can do it. With no investment not even Alex Ferguson could polish our turd of a team. Get real, he can do the job but not with his hands tied behind his back.

While Blisset was at the club, Nicholson decided to make his "marquee" signing a striker who he doesn't fancy. McDonald was sold early and he had adequate time to find a replacement. He brought in McGinty. He also had the chance to resign a midfielder who made it abundantly clear he wanted to stay in Racchi and let him move on. Then brought in a known injury prone player in Lathrope. Although he's a decent player him getting injured was as inevitable as Sunday following Saturday.

Thats not bad luck. Its not him being usurped by those behind the scenes. Its bad management.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

It's operating on a shoestring actually.
Dave

Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 22:47 Absolutely nonsensical. I criticised the main area I feel Nico is getting it wrong just this week. What I can't do is slag a man who has had the spine of his team ripped out, Angus sold, Luke Young out injured after another long lay-off, and Blissett sold. He's lost the spine of his team and you can't just recover from that without investment. If you know anything about football you'll know just how important that area of the side is, it dictates how you play and set up as a side. Try losing that and add all his other tasks on top and offer that role to another manager. See how attractive the proposition is to decent proven managers. We're a basket case of a club right now and Nico knows exactly what he needs to improve the team. He's scraping the bottom of the barrel but has somehow netted a decent transfer fee for Angus with potentially a lot more to come, made Blissett worth money and turned Kieffer Moore into a player signed by a Championship side. If he's given the resources he's proved he can do it. With no investment not even Alex Ferguson could polish our turd of a team. Get real, he can do the job but not with his hands tied behind his back.
Are you saying Ipswich bought Moore purely based on his performances for us and that he was nothing before pulling on the yellow shirt??????
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Bleeper wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 23:16 He has downfalls,signing Harrad again for one and his tactical management is poor but who else would do the job for us right now? Give him time and money to spend and I'm sure he will flourish.

It's gone beyond that. I stood virtually at his shoulder today and the team has gone mentally, the technical area does nothing to inspire them, direct them or discipline them into defending properly or maintain possession. When you kick the game off by launching the ball sixty yards downfield to attempt to find touch, what does that tell you?

When twenty minutes gone sees you in a position where you could have been five goals down, you are playing balls into channels to a lone front man devoid of any pace whatsoever so that he is second to everything and you are having to talk a thick as shit right back through every move the opposition put together then you can see the work hasn't been done on the training ground and a so called full-time outfit are struggling against a part-time set up lucky if they get two evening sessions a week together.

It doesn't take budget to instil a game plan, desire and confidence. Nicholson and Herrera's side have consistently lacked all of this in every away game I have seen this season bar Braintree in the league and FGR.

It's stale, it's broken and it needs refreshing NOW. Someone else needs to be brought in to try to bring all these missing factors to the table or else the team is going down. It could ~ and should ~ have been five or six nil today!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 22 Jan 2017, 00:06 It's gone beyond that. I stood virtually at his shoulder today and the team has gone mentally, the technical area does nothing to inspire them, direct them or discipline them into defending properly or maintain possession. When you kick the game off by launching the ball sixty yards downfield to attempt to find touch, what does that tell you?
To be fair, hoofing it downfield and out for a throw in straight from kickoff is how pretty much all Torquay games have started for as long as I have been watching them.

As for the rest, nothing seems to have changed from the last time I saw us play on the opening day of the season at Macclesfield. We were terrible then.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Burnhamgull wrote: 22 Jan 2017, 00:02
Are you saying Ipswich bought Moore purely based on his performances for us and that he was nothing before pulling on the yellow shirt??????
They definitely didn't buy him because he couldn't get into FGR's first team. The performances the manager got from him and the goals scored while here are definitely why Ipswich decided to take a punt.
Dave

DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 22:47 Absolutely nonsensical. I criticised the main area I feel Nico is getting it wrong just this week. What I can't do is slag a man who has had the spine of his team ripped out, Angus sold, Luke Young out injured after another long lay-off, and Blissett sold. He's lost the spine of his team and you can't just recover from that without investment. If you know anything about football you'll know just how important that area of the side is, it dictates how you play and set up as a side. Try losing that and add all his other tasks on top and offer that role to another manager. See how attractive the proposition is to decent proven managers. We're a basket case of a club right now and Nico knows exactly what he needs to improve the team. He's scraping the bottom of the barrel but has somehow netted a decent transfer fee for Angus with potentially a lot more to come, made Blissett worth money and turned Kieffer Moore into a player signed by a Championship side. If he's given the resources he's proved he can do it. With no investment not even Alex Ferguson could polish our turd of a team. Get real, he can do the job but not with his hands tied behind his back.
Angus was sold before the start of the season. Nicho had time to replace him. McGinty has done alright, Gallifuoco doesn't look good enough. They are his signings.

Luke Young - All managers experience injuries the sign of a good manager is how you adjust your side to cope with them. Or alternatively get someone in on loan you are actually going to play.

Bliss - did great last season. His goal return this term has been pitiful. We did well to get anything for him on thid seasons showing. He has replaced him with Harrad who doesn't look up to it (again) and his other top striker Williams he doesn't fancy because of his work rate - if he was the great manager you would have us believe he would have researched his playing style before signing him?

Lack of resources - don't tell me all the clubs above us have bigger budgets. We need a manager who can use the budget more effectively and motivate what we have before it is too late.

I said before we were told to judge him on his squad. Well this is it and they aren't even listening to him.

PS - I do respect your support of KN but football is all about opinions. Even my "nonsensical" one.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

How many sides above us have lost the whole spine of the team? How many teams above us have had to drive to games because there isn't the money to pay for travel? I would judge him on this squad if I wasn't more aware than you of the problems he's been facing.

To try and break it down the way you have? This isn't his squad, it's his depleted squad full of players on little or no money who have been treated like dirt by the club and have lost the desire to play, hardly the managers fault. Harrad wasn't bought to replace Blissett, he was bought to complement a player like him who never arrived because the plug was pulled.

I respect you, just not your "opinion".
Dave