Time to go Mr Nicholson... POOR

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

All going to plan for GI?
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

I tell you what I would like to see all you lot manage the team under the conditions that KN has had to. No money, continuous off field problems, Young and Lathrope long term injuries, the club sells your striker. Up to now the new owners have given nothing to the playing squad.
I d give him the freedom of the bay for what he's achieved with what hes been up against.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

SBP wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 19:10 I tell you what I would like to see all you lot manage the team under the conditions that KN has had to. No money, continuous off field problems, Young and Lathrope long term injuries, the club sells your striker. Up to now the new owners have given nothing to the playing squad.
I d give him the freedom of the bay for what he's achieved with what hes been up against.
:goodpost:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Funny how KN is immune to criticism from some. The previous board, the current owners, Geoff bloody Harrop are all evil but don't sack good old Kev because he also drives the mini bus.

Don't get me wrong the promotional work he does for the club is admirable but he's paid to manage the team and performances just aren't good enough. Most of the players don't even look interested anymore. We have no plan B and plan A rarely works anyway.

Every week we get told it's unacceptable and he'll do his best to rectify it and yet all the evidence presented to us the following Saturday suggests he can't.

He would be great in a community development/youth role. Being a legend for the club does not make you a legendary manager.

I was against his appointment at the start and I hold my hands up that he did a fantastic job in keeping us up. But he looks lost at the moment.

Many of his supporters told us doubters to wait until he had assembled his own squad, to judge him then, well this is his squad and its rapidly approaching judgement day.

If you owned the club would you give him any of YOUR money to spend on players???
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Nicholson may well bleed Torquay United, and yes he's given his all for the cause, but he's blown his chance and now it's time for somebody else - before it's too late and another relegation.
Thing is how much do GI care which league we're in?
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

As someone else said the only reason he is still in place is because he's cheap.
He's had no money to assemble a half decent squad which isn't his fault.
The fact that what he has got are only good in training and can't much of the time do the basics is his fault.
Team selection, some of the loan signings and substitutions are his fault.
Who do they get instead?
PLEASE NOT STEVE TULLY, HE IS A ****!!
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

DevonYellow wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 19:22 Funny how KN is immune to criticism from some. The previous board, the current owners, Geoff bloody Harrop are all evil but don't sack good old Kev because he also drives the mini bus.

Don't get me wrong the promotional work he does for the club is admirable but he's paid to manage the team and performances just aren't good enough. Most of the players don't even look interested anymore. We have no plan B and plan A rarely works anyway.

Every week we get told it's unacceptable and he'll do his best to rectify it and yet all the evidence presented to us the following Saturday suggests he can't.

He would be great in a community development/youth role. Being a legend for the club does not make you a legendary manager.

I was against his appointment at the start and I hold my hands up that he did a fantastic job in keeping us up. But he looks lost at the moment.

Many of his supporters told us doubters to wait until he had assembled his own squad, to judge him then, well this is his squad and its rapidly approaching judgement day.

If you owned the club would you give him any of YOUR money to spend on players???
Excellent posting Devonyellow. I was about to post something similar but you have covered all the points I was about to make
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Our current squad is lacking in every department, in fact it would probably struggle in the league below. What are you suppose to do with no money and a squad which basically consists of about 5 players who are really able to compete.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Yep I agree totally with Devonyellows post.

He has now assembled his own squad and we're no better off.
He states that the players don't follow the script when they play on a Saturday. Lost the dressing room?
He would make a great ambassador for the club in a commercial role. This side of his work has been first class in my opinion, he clearly cares for the club.

At what point does KN become blameable for the poor results? Some people would have us in the South Devon League before looking at the manager.

Kev is a "legend" from his time as a player. (personally I don't agree but I'll play along for the purpose of this thread). He was cheap, available and wanted the job so he got his chance. Unfortunately, like Wes Saunders (look him up kids) and Chris Hargreaves, ex players don't always make great managers.

It's time to at least look at another option.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Well you might all get your wish, maybe Harrop will come in and be the answer, just remember what happened when he came in for that 1 game and we managed a battling draw. First thing Harrop says, Mansell and Nico have been fantastic and basically sorted everything out, they recalled Lathrope back from Hereford and took all the training!!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Kieffer Moore proved in 5 weeks ( Nov 22nd to Dec 26th )that one good striker improved our team and our results.

At present we need 2 key players and results would improve significantly.

The issue is recruiting the right players quickly because in my view the next 5 games will define our season. Time is of the essence.

A goalscorer and a creative midfielder.

There are so many talented players at Premier League Clubs who need game time. Surely we can find 2!!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Rubbish! All those talented players at Premier League Clubs are in their Under-23 sides. So how great is Jordan Lee from Bournemouth?
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

SBP wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 20:01 Our current squad is lacking in every department, in fact it would probably struggle in the league below. What are you suppose to do with no money and a squad which basically consists of about 5 players who are really able to compete.
Maybe we should go part time , that should save money and help us beat ex league teams with similar budgets or perhaps bigger budgets than us?
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Whether you want him to go or not, it appears from reading the post-match interview that Nicholson has lost the dressing room.

“I’ve just said to them in there [the changing room], we’ve got some good footballers in there but if defenders keep making the same mistakes over and over again, I’ve got to find a way to get the message through to them."

“Today we made the same mistakes over and over again. We didn’t pass the ball like we coach it, like we do it, and then at the end of the day I have to find a way to get through to them."

"I have to find a way of getting these guys to listen to what I am saying, or hear what I am saying, and then do what I am saying. At the moment I am going to have to go away and have a good think about it.”

Without any major changes I can't see how we will avoid relegation. GI have certainly got their hands full.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Nico's comments:

Sat 6 Aug v Maccesfield lost 2-0 (opening game)
“We were way too much on the back foot:,

Sat 21 Jan v Maidstone lost 2-1
“We just wanted to drop and drop and drop. For the second goal we were so deep, and so dropped, that if we had gone any further then we would have been behind the goalkeeper"

It appears evident that Nico's message to the players since the opening game, not to play 'on the back foot' has not sunk in.