MacDonald to Norwich?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Scouting is everything and to assume that a certain area is devoid of potential is nonsense.

I live in an area and have worked in football in an area where the exact opposite is true and clubs are drawn to it like bees to pollen yet (in my opinion) they often eschew a lot of the talent because they are so reliant on parental input and support they make the assumption that much of this talent is unusable because of single parent situations/multiple siblings thrown into the bargain and general lack of a car to transport the kids to and from the academies and academy matches in the early years.

Going back to the days of John James most of the development material came from the Black Country and not locally; yet go back further to the sixties and fifties and it came from the club's own doorstep. Nothing had changed in those decades except the club's own perceptions and that has got to change.

The laws of nature and football reality will decree that come scholar pro' age there will be a flow of available talent from outside the area that has failed to secure what they desire within their own areas, but up until then there is no reason why the club should not be working as diligently to seek out and develop within their own immediate catchment area as Exeter City.

But as I said; scouting is everything!
Last edited by merse btpir on 28 Jan 2017, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 27 Jan 2017, 19:43 Anyway, back on topic, :} I've heard that Gus won't be in Barnsley's team tomorrow v rovrum....
So it maybe that he's off.....
Er....
Gus is in the Barnsley team today.... :Oops: :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

merse btpir wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 09:35 Well the increasing debt to GI was there in the summer for a start Dave and money was owed to Pete Masters too......

For a long time there has been a lack of judgement from those blinded by loyalty to those they hold in high esteem: The 'Alex Rowe' board never really got to grips with putting in place sufficient extra streams away from the football side of the operation. They were better than when ~ under Thea Bristow's direction ~ Dean Edwards had virtually carte blanche to produce as little as he did without any proper questioning as to the discrepancy between what he was achieving and his counterparts at other similarly placed clubs. At BTPIR we had one infamous case of US having to chase HIM for three months just to get an invoice in order to pass money over to the club we had collected for a sponsored match....you couldn't have made this shit up if you'd tried!

.......and people like Stuart Wood then stand up in a fans forum and call us "poison"; whilst nodding donkeys like Nigel Tabb blithely say they 'don't read the forums'. No wonder these long standing supporters and others like them don't really know what's gone on, how they've been conned and cheated out of their devotion to the club and unwavering support.

The last administration under Dave Phillips has been a joke in it's naivety and willingness again to be conned by Edwards and it's lack of perception in what was really needed when looking for a manager to extricate a vehicle stranded over a cliff top with two wheels in mid-air......it certainly wasn't a learner driver was it!

Gaming International have immediately appointed a finance director (Chris Rich) and an expert in facility revenue maximisation (Bill Glass) to the football club (or maybe that of Riviera Stadium Ltd) board when it appears all the local populace want is to see is a return of discredited former directors who got the club into the mess it currently finds itself in.

Granted; there are concerns as to the genuine purpose of their ownership, but at the end of the day they have been delivered the club through the previous board's ineptitude and debt to their loan facility and there is nothing we can do about it but hope that they run the operation professionally and competently.

The million dollar question now remains: was that 'Trojan Horse' of a season ticket deal a stupidly and ill thought out measure to get money in with total disregard to the revenue streams for the rest of the season whilst the wolf was banging at the door in the summer; or was it a dastardly plot by Clarke Osborne to render Dave Phillips and his band of pensioners dead ducks by Christmas? Either way; that was the outcome and if in the event GI reap the benefit of another Angus MacDonald windfall thanks to Norwich City then how ironic that it was the board of Phillips who prevented them getting the second fifty grand instalment from Barnsley by taking a ten per cent hit and having it brought forward ahead of the finality of signing the club over to their nemesis have handed that to them on a plate.

Pretty much agree with you bar the first bit. It was my understanding that the GI debt was incurred a lot later, after the season ticket money was banked and the money from Masters for the ground share. My memory is not what it used to be so I wouldn't argue. I think the Baker/Phillips era was the worst and considering they were chipping away at Thea's cash at every opportunity I find that particularly annoying. I don't blame her in the slightest, they played her every chance they got. I remember speaking to someone from Exeter who has a large part to play in their off field endeavours to attract money. He was approached by a couple of board members to help them emulate some of the success he'd had and the decision he made to help was then blocked by Baker who didn't want to step on the commercial departments toes. Pretty ironic when you think how everything has played out. Also ironic is what you pointed out about GI potentially being handed a windfall immediately, that would be a kick in the nuts to Dave Phillips and deservedly so after his behaviour at the end.

It's a shame we couldn't have got together a couple of years ago and shared the information we both had, it could have highlighted to a lot more people exactly what was going on. Live and learn.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

The first tranche of the three part GI loan came in during the early Spring of last season when the extra demands on the playing budget were necessary to strengthen the squad.

Dave Phillips confided to me as early as the game at Chesham (in the December) that things were so desperate they might well have to turn to a source 'you wouldn't like to know* & and I really don't want to turn to' in order to keep the club afloat. He didn't specifically name GI, but my suspicions were raised and so I started digging around and sure enough the name of Clark Osborne was unwittingly given to me by another unsuspecting insider at Plainmoor........the rest is history.

* wouldn't like to know? You bet I wanted to know and the hunt was on!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think they were sussed pretty quickly but for all the warning signs and all the denials from the board they still somehow managed to get the club on the cheap. Unbelievable Jeff!!
Dave

dean scott
Trialist
Trialist

Post by dean scott »

Hi fellow footy fans i have launched a new FB page....football fans for Macmillan nurses, this is NOT an appeal for money donations in ANYWAY, please take a look, please like page and share with other real football fans. Many thanks. Dean Scott.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 20:18 I think they were sussed pretty quickly but for all the warning signs and all the denials from the board they still somehow managed to get the club on the cheap. Unbelievable Jeff!!
So Masters was there next to Chris Rich today. What can that mean?
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

It means that the Truro chairman missed yet another Truro away match in favour of going to Plainmoor. Him and Rich were the main protagonists in the 'deal that Masters brokered' if you care to believe that...........watch Masters like a hawk!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

merse btpir wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 21:21 It means that the Truro chairman missed yet another Truro away match in favour of going to Plainmoor. Him and Rich were the main protagonists in the 'deal that Masters brokered' if you care to believe that...........watch Masters like a hawk!
Sat next to a Poole Town official today who came with linesmen said get some money and get GI out.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

arcadia wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 21:45 Sat next to a Poole Town official today who came with linesmen said get some money and get GI out.
Unfortunately they now control the purse strings!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i assume this move didnt happen then?? thought it was way too good to be true! damn!
still keeping the faith
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 20:40 So Masters was there next to Chris Rich today. What can that mean?
Looking at Truro league position, relegation is a high possibility, if they do get relegated, this could get interesting, as Truro getting promoted last season stopped him getting the club.
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I heard in the bar that Torquay have accepted a reduced sell on clause for McDonald for a payment so we can forget any investment from GI. I can't see us having a team in Torquay at this rate. This may have been posted but I was not going to read all the posts.

It's obvious the budget will be cut.

IT'S A SHAME THE COUNCIL DON'T GIVE THE FOOTBALL CLUB THE GROUND AND LET US DEAL WITH GI. =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D =D
It looks like we've been sold down the river and the vultures are waiting.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Er, GI are the football club at the moment, that's the last thing we want to happen..................
Dave