MacDonald to Norwich?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Some will go towards engaging someone to draw up new stadium plans, as I assume they get a new one drafted each time rather than just dusting off an old one that never happened and changing a few road names. Mayor and councillor hospitality. These things add up.

Could be decent money. Not to be sniffed at. I'm still in the camp of us getting a bit of hush money thrown the way of the playing side before being killed off, though.

Good luck and well done to Angus. What a transformation in such a short time to be getting considered for a £2.5m move. Hope it happens for him.

Did anyone find out whether Dave Phillips's board's early cashing in of the second Barnsley instalment changed the sell-on clause or not?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If McDonald goes for that kind of fee I wonder what Nathan Smith is worth.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Ironically probably far less as Port Vale are a division down on Barnsley.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i cant wait to hear the result of this one, my money's on us having taken the second £50k early does something to negate the sell on fee, in which case it goes down as absolutely classic tufc behaviour and possibly the biggest gaffe in our history of big gaffes!!
still keeping the faith
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

15% of £2.4m profit would be £360 000, making it the 3rd highest windfall in our history, after Rodney Jack (£650k) and Matt Gregg (£400k). It's hard to get too excited though - worst case scenario is that we gave it away for nothing, and the best case scenario is that GI no longer have to fund any off-field projects themselves.

We haven't even replaced Blissett yet, despite dropping him from the squad before the window even opened.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

You've got to ask what did we let him go for £100.000 for, it shows the chairman and directors had no idea what the value of a young footballer could be.

:red:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 21:45 You've got to ask what did we let him go for £100.000 for, it shows the chairman and directors had no idea what the value of a young footballer could be.

:red:
If he had been at Exeter they would have got millions for him, that's what they do. Perryman is a wise old head and knows precisely what young talent is worth. Unfortunately we were lumbered with Steptoe rubbing his little hands together.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

arcadia wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 21:45You've got to ask what did we let him go for £100.000 for, it shows the chairman and directors had no idea what the value of a young footballer could be.
Nobody was complaining at the time though were they ~ indeed quite the opposite.

I had got to the stage with him that with his conduct and play degenerating so much that I would happily have seen him bombed out for nothing so it is both to his and the manager's credit that the situation was turned around to such an extent.

Again.....a player is only truly worth what you can get for him and nobody was even talking in those terms when he was at Torquay.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

merse btpir wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 22:21 Nobody was complaining at the time though were they ~ indeed quite the opposite.

I had got to the stage with him that with his conduct and play degenerating so much that I would happily have seen him bombed out for nothing so it is both to his and the manager's credit that the situation was turned around to such an extent.

Again.....a player is only truly worth what you can get for him and nobody was even talking in those terms when he was at Torquay.
Spot on.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

merse btpir wrote: 25 Jan 2017, 22:21 Nobody was complaining at the time though were they ~ indeed quite the opposite.

Speak for youreself. A lot of us were very sad to see him go. You forget that his dicipline had improved massively in the year before he left, to the point where alongside Nathan Smith he was the most important player in the team.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Merse is of course correct here, footballers are like houses, you slap what ever valuation you like on them, they're only worth what someone is prepared to pay, and the level fee you get, can be down to how desperate you are to sell. And remember, back in the summer our club had liabilities it couldn't pay, so hardly in a position to play hard ball.

Who was to know, really, who ? in his last full season with TUFC we had young defender with bags of potential, could on one day be brilliant, on another clumsy, and a player who get sent off quite a lot, what our club sold was a young proven top flight non-league player with potential, and with possible bright future, but that bit was down to Angus him self.

As the Barnsley fan quite rightly in my opinion said, they brought the player as one for the future, did anyone at Barnsley expect Angus to be thrust into first action so soon, did anyone at Barnsley expect Angus to step right up to the mark so quickly, think you'll find the answer to both, being, no.

So what he has become is proven championship player, so of course his valuation has shot up, and Barnsley unlike us, are in a position to say, if you want our player, you're going have to pay for him, or sod off.

Should he sign for Norwich, then the deal done by our club, to sell him to Barnsley does not look so bad at all, just hope Nicho gets a fair slice of it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

PhilGull wrote: 26 Jan 2017, 09:28 Speak for yourself [sic]. A lot of us were very sad to see him go. You forget that his dicipline [sic] had improved massively in the year before he left, to the point where alongside Nathan Smith he was the most important player in the team.
I've not forgotten that at all; where did I indicate that I had? I said that it had got to a stage with him; I didn't say that's how it was come the end of his time at TQ1 and indeed I commented on the improvement before he realised his potential .

Read posts properly before you shoot them down!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't really think the comment about Exeter is a fair one. I actually think 100k was a pretty good deal at the time. Good luck to McDonald but I cannot for the life of me see how he is worth 2.5 million.

A quite staggering upturn in fortune for him really - blimey wasn't he playing right back for Salisbury not so long ago. There were plenty of people who thought that he wasn't good enough to make it in the league at that time.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

merse btpir wrote: 26 Jan 2017, 09:49 I've not forgotten that at all; where did I indicate that I had? I said that it had got to a stage with him; I didn't say that's how it was come the end of his time at TQ1 and indeed I commented on the improvement before he realised his potential .

Read posts properly before you shoot them down!
Actually, your wording of your post suggests that when he left it had got to the stage where you were happy to see him leave for nothing, and that him being sold for such a fee was the situation being turned around. If you had said 'At one, point it had got to the stage', then you could lecture PhilGull.

Also, '[sic]' is used to point out that you are quoting something verbatim, including mistakes, not inserted when you are correcting something. As it is, I must respond with learn 2 English [sic] before getting on your high horse!

HOWEVER, now that's out of the way, it is as you say: nobody complained about the fee at the time we sold him. Indeed, for a club so desperate for cash it was a welcome windfall, and as long as they don't 'pull a Bournemouth' then we should be onto a nice little earner from any future sale.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by merse btpir »

madgull wrote: 27 Jan 2017, 06:04 Actually, your wording of your post suggests that when he left it had got to the stage where you were happy to see him leave for nothing, and that him being sold for such a fee was the situation being turned around. If you had said 'At one, point it had got to the stage', then you could lecture PhilGull.
Really? That's your interpretation on it ~ certainly not mine and again I suggest reading of the post properly and so realisation that I said the situation had been turned around.

Whilst we're on the subject of players and the perception that they are (in my opinion) better than they really are; a lot of bog ordinary players are elevated to faux #legendary status in this day and age when in reality they would have been hard pressed to get into the reserves during the zenith of the club's history and I would include Angus MacDonald as one of those.

But good luck to him and he can only be what he is and try to be it to the best of his ability and it is patently obvious that he had let himself sink a hell of a long way after departing the scene at Reading FC before finally having the realisation that he could (and should) be doing a lot better for himself.