PLAINMOOR FOR SALE?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

PhilGull wrote: I think that is the moment that TUST steps in and offers to take the pup GI have been sold off their hands for a few quid (anything will be better than losing all of the money they have invested).
Or, thinking about it, that is the moment Masters steps out of the shadows and assumes control :(
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

portugull wrote:Thanks gullpower for your PM and Hector for your good wishes.

I emailed governance at the Town Hall this morning and am awaiting their reply.

Can I appeal to all fans who are not working, I am retired, to attend the Meeting at the Town Hall on 18th January. I think it is very important that as many as possible turn up so that the Councillors appreciate that the future of our Football Club means a lot to us.
Apparently the issue of Plainmoor will not now be discussed at this meeting but has been put back to 6th Feb (provisionally). This is from BTPIR, posted by the wife of councillor Julien Parrott so I think you can rely on this info being accurate.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

PhilGull wrote: I think that is the moment that TUST steps in and offers to take the pup GI have been sold off their hands for a few quid (anything will be better than losing all of the money they have invested).
This.

While Plainmoor still belongs to the council, TUFC will always have a home in the bay (be it as a phoenix club or in it's present form). That is why it is so important that the land is not sold to the developer.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Jerry wrote: Apparently the issue of Plainmoor will not now be discussed at this meeting but has been put back to 6th Feb (provisionally). This is from BTPIR, posted by the wife of councillor Julien Parrott so I think you can rely on this info being accurate.
I hope this postponement is down to the fuss we have been making. After sending several emails this morning I rang the council asking how I could make a written representation at the meeting. The young secretary didn't have much of a clue, tried to speak to an officer but she was in a meeting and was supposed to ring me back but it never happened.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Did my bit and sent some emails to local politicians. I strongly urge everyone else to do so as well, if they haven't already. Every little will help.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Dhewins wrote:Has anyone created a petition on the Torbay council website?

http://www.torbay.gov.uk/council/how-th ... petitions/

This may help if we can get more than 25 signatures online from fans then they will look at it.
Does anyone know if a petition has been started yet? If not I will look into it tomorrow using the following:

Torquay United has a long and proud history that can be traced back to 1899 with matches being played at the Plainmoor ground since 1910. Having a club of renown with this history is important for the status of the town. The club has always played a part in advertising and promoting the area as a holiday destination (in fact the change from black and white kit to gold and blue in the mid 50’s was to reflect the towns sand and sea image) as well as bringing in revenue from away supporters that take the opportunity to enjoy an extended break as part of their away match excursion.
Recently the club was been sold to Riviera Stadium Limited, a subsidiary company of Gaming International. Unfortunately as custodians of sporting clubs Gaming International do not have a good track record when it comes to looking after the club’s best interests.
We are asking that Torbay Council, as landlords of Plainmoor, to ensure that football continues to be played at the ground by upholding the covenants placed on the land, by acknowledging that it has been designated as an Asset of Community Value and ultimately retaining ownership of the ground.
Sign now to tell Torbay Council that you are against Plainmoor being sold off.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I am interested to know if fans would mind Plainmoor being sold off as long as the land / new stadium remained council owned (effectively handed back by GI)? The new ground would need to be built prior to development at Plainmoor of course.

It's only hypothetical and I can't see GI putting their money in up front but this is the only scenario that I think protects the club's interests.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Jerry wrote: Apparently the issue of Plainmoor will not now be discussed at this meeting but has been put back to 6th Feb (provisionally). This is from BTPIR, posted by the wife of councillor Julien Parrott so I think you can rely on this info being accurate.
Sue posts on here too, Jerry. Not that I have any reason to doubt her word we still need to be very vigilant when it comes to these meetings. I wouldn't put it past GI and their contacts to try and push things through on the quiet.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Just sent my email, even though I live in Newton Abbot. Also posted a link to this thread on my Facebook.
TUST number 080
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Lloyder5 wrote:Just sent my email, even though I live in Newton Abbot. Also posted a link to this thread on my Facebook.
Might be worth an email to your MP as well. Although Plainmoor isn't in their constituency the issues certainly concern their constituents.

Also, isn't a large portion of Torbay now in the Totnes constituency? So maybe emails to the Totnes MP could be an idea.

I know MPs have no direct input into the decision but they can certainly voice their concerns and are more likely to be listened to than many "ordinary" citizens.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Good point, I will do that.
TUST number 080
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

I know it's not always the best page (and you may get some people with differing views to fans...), but is it worth a mention on the Spotted Torquay Facebook page so more people can be aware of the impending meeting etc?
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

gullpower wrote: I hope this postponement is down to the fuss we have been making. After sending several emails this morning I rang the council asking how I could make a written representation at the meeting. The young secretary didn't have much of a clue, tried to speak to an officer but she was in a meeting and was supposed to ring me back but it never happened.
That was my experience too-no response to emails I've sent on the same topic as you.Total incompetence from the Council and according to Adrian Sanders the Officers in denial about any contact between club and council/mayor on the issue.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Scott Brehaut wrote:This is all good - and I applaud everybody for doing this, but my worry is this:

If the move is vetoed, will GI basically stick two fingers up at us, leave the club to die and then write it all off as a loss?

I don't want them to own up us, and I don't want us to move from Plainmoor either, but I don't want us to cut off our nose to spite our face either.
Probably yes. That's exactly what they would do. But it depends on your view, my view is that someone or TUST would step in, maybe a Pheonix club but with a home at Plainmoor. But remember, even if TUST took control, it could be that the club is still for sale to an interested Football loving party.

Starting from a fresh start, no debts, just the income generated by true, real fans would be a challenge and in my opinion an entertaining journey. Free from all this sh*te and directors with God knows motives. The worst scenario is being controlled by non footballing property developers strangling the club with whatever rent they deemed they could extract from us.

Now, someone alluded to the fact that any new ground maybe owned by the council AND the tenancy agreement was no worse than the one we have now. This maybe possible, I don't know, but to me very very unlikely.

For me the home of Torquay utd should remain at Plainmoor. Even if it means a phoenix club. Of course GI could be even more spiteful, just fold the club, pay the rent BUT don't sell the Football club, but this might be against the terms of the lease I don't know.

As long as the 1000 to 2000 fans of TUFC stick together, we will always have a football club, what league it is in, God knows. But Im ready to participate and help all I can.
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

:goodpost:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com