PLAINMOOR FOR SALE?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
zoomed
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by zoomed »

CORRECTION - apologies ... the email address was copied incorrectly ... please use - [email protected]
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Sterling work Neal. This is very encouraging to hear from our publicly elected officials.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Brilliant work guys, lets keep the momentum going and get the general population of Torbay more in the know.

Maybe some of the more local members can link this thread to Facebook and get it out there so as many people as possible can help fight any unscrupulous thoughts GI "might" have.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Sterling work by Neal and others. This is what we need. The forums should work together on this - we all have one objective.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Exactly what we're doing, Sam.
Dave

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Thanks gullpower for your PM and Hector for your good wishes.

I emailed governance at the Town Hall this morning and am awaiting their reply.

Can I appeal to all fans who are not working, I am retired, to attend the Meeting at the Town Hall on 18th January. I think it is very important that as many as possible turn up so that the Councillors appreciate that the future of our Football Club means a lot to us.
Dhewins
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Tim sills

Post by Dhewins »

Has anyone created a petition on the Torbay council website?

http://www.torbay.gov.uk/council/how-th ... petitions/

This may help if we can get more than 25 signatures online from fans then they will look at it.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I have an update from Ian Dogget. It says basically the same but is more clear.

"Dear Neal,
Thank you for your E-Mails. I have had another thought and decided that if you want to put something on the Torquay United Forum, the following may be more "punchy" ? Anyway see what you think ? The Liberal Democrat Group has met recently and discussed the situation with regard to Torquay United, but with no more Information to hand than what is already in the Public Domain. I am making this response ,on behalf of the Group, Councillors Carter, M.Darling, S.Darling , myself, N.Pentney, A.Sanders, C.Stocks, and R.Stringer. It seems clear that the Elected Mayor , Gordon Oliver, has been meeting and discussing options behind closed doors for some time, but now he will have to show us the Deal, and Councillors will have to judge what is in the best interests of the Bay and indeed the Club! The Group is committed to supporting the continuation of a Professional Football Club in the Bay, and will be seeking assurances that this will be the outcome of any proposals put forward by the Elected Mayor. We believe that any decision should be taken by the whole Council, and on a recorded vote of each Councillor , and will argue this case and hope that other Councillors will support us? There is not much more I can report at this stage, but I suggest you keep pressing your Local Ward Councillors to support any decision that affects Plainmoor and the Club being taken in Full Council, and on a recorded vote. "
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I have also had a reply from Julien Parrott

"Dear Neal,

Many thanks for your email.

I share your concerns about the future of Torquay United, both for the club itself and for its home within Torquay.

My position is clear: I shall vote against any change from the current situation, because that is what I believe is best for Torquay United, best for the Council in meeting the obligations of the covenants on the land, and - of course - represents the best use of the land for the people of the Bay. For clarity, that is: that the council retains ownership of the land and Torquay United remains the tenant. This way, the land asset is indeed retained for the whole Bay community.

I have made clear my position, as above, to my colleagues on the Mayor's Executive Group this morning, well in advance of any meeting of the Policy Development Decision Group (PDDG), or any other council meeting.

I have been a TUFC fan since my grandfather first took me back in the early 1970s; Plainmoor has been the setting for so many memories, and long may that continue.

Please feel free to disseminate this reply as you wish, and I hope that you will forgive me, but time dictates that the above text will also form the basis of my response to others on this important subject.

Yours in yellow,

Julien

Julien Parrott

Councillor for Ellacombe

Executive Lead for Adults and Children, Torbay Council"
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Now that is hugely eye-opening.

We owe Ian Dogget a massive thankyou for that information and guidance.
Dave

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I have had another reply from a councilor, cant say who it is as I havnt had the authority to say but this was the reply.

"Dear Neal
I agree with all you say - the Club should stay where it is.
Thank you for getting in touch.
Regards"
TUST MEMBER
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Well if I was Mrs. Bristow I would not wish my husbands memorial ( Bristow's Bench ) to be pulled down and re developed. I would buy the ground myself.
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

So what Cllr Doggett is confirming is that the mayor CAN make the decision, but the LDs will be pressing for it to go to full council (i.e. calling it in) and calling for a recorded vote when that happens.

I believe the first step is that the decision first goes to the Overview and Scrutiny committee, chairman of which is Cllr Chris Lewis (Con, anti-Oliver). O&S can recommend one of three things: nfa, refer back to mayor for reconsideration, or refer to full council. Even if O&S refers it to full council, council can still only recommend a course of action. The final decision still rests with the mayor. It's just a delaying tactic. Check with Governance Support if you want to confirm this.

We need to face facts here and know exactly what we're up against.

Of course, the trouble is that even if the mayor decides to leave things as they are, then his decision - any decision - will be called in, as this is what the majority group Tories do these days. It will be interesting to see whether, if the mayor makes the decision the fans want, the majority group Tories will actually let it pass.

Let's call them all out on it.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

This is all good - and I applaud everybody for doing this, but my worry is this:

If the move is vetoed, will GI basically stick two fingers up at us, leave the club to die and then write it all off as a loss?

I don't want them to own up us, and I don't want us to move from Plainmoor either, but I don't want us to cut off our nose to spite our face either.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:This is all good - and I applaud everybody for doing this, but my worry is this:

If the move is vetoed, will GI basically stick two fingers up at us, leave the club to die and then write it all off as a loss?

I don't want them to own up us, and I don't want us to move from Plainmoor either, but I don't want us to cut off our nose to spite our face either.
I think that is the moment that TUST steps in and offers to take the pup GI have been sold off their hands for a few quid (anything will be better than losing all of the money they have invested).
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084