Harry Smith. ,never forgotten.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Harry Smith. ,never forgotten.

Post by frenchgull »

I was sad to read the news of the passing of Harry Smith,part of the great team that I first saw at Plainmoor,never gave anything but 100%,thanks once again for making me a Torquay supporter for sixty years,R I P Harry.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Well! Long before my time, I'm afraid to say - and I'm a codger! Still, he must have been good to have played in that almost-promotion side of 1956-57.
So he was there at the start of the good times.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

I remember most of the team in the 50s but I have only a little recall of Harry Smith. I recall well most of the players at that time which included Bert Head, Phil Joslin (gk) Dennis Lewis, Bert Calland, Ronnie Shaw, Don Mills, Sam Collins (my favourite) and Conley. Can someone fill me in as to where Harry Smith played and any others I may have omitted?
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Hi Sesimbra, Harry played at left back and John Smith ar right back ,Denis Lewis at right half and Griffin Norman at center half,the forward line was Shaw !Collins ,Calland ,Mills ,Tony Collins and Mervyn Gill in goal,a teriffic team with the likes of Peter Wakham goalkeeper,Graham Bond and Jimmy James ,oh for that quality now.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Sesimbra »

Thanks frenchgull but I remember clearly that Bert Head was our centre half for a number of years with Phil Joslin in goal. Perhaps different seasons. Also Calland at the back with Conley centre forward who was very adept at falling down in the penalty area. Great days watching from the cowshed
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Never saw him play - but he the manager/coach when I played for Chelston in the Devon and Exeter league back in the 60's.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'm glad to see this thread has brought out the REAL Old Codgery; makes me seem like a young 'un.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Sesimbra ( do you live there just south of Lisbon) I remember Harry Smith very well.At one point in the 1950's we had 4 players called Smith.

John V Smith at right back Harry at left back Jack T Smith in midfield and Alan Smith I think a center half.

The other day I found an old programme QPR v TUFC dated October 8th 1960.This was our line up;

Mervyn Gill
Colin Bettany and Dennis Penford
David Hancock George Northcott Jimmy James
Graham Bond Geoff Cox Tommy Northcott Dai Lewis Ernie Pym.

I remember Dennis Lewis at right half but not Dai Lewis who is shown playing at insde left.

The result was 3-3.The programme cost 4 old pence!
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Sesimbra »

Portugull: Yes there were a number of Smiths around at that time hence my lapse of memory. I was a regular supporter in the mid 50s after National Service and left Torbay in 1960. The team I mentioned above played REGULARLY in the 50s (unlike today).
I knew Dennis Lewis through his wife to be who worked with me.
I do not live in Sesimbra but have happy memories of the holidays we had there.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Yes, another legend passes. Thanks for the memories Harry.

I see no Smiths in that lineup at QPR, David Lewis played from 1960 but only for a handful of matches. As with all four of the Lewis's to play for the club, he was born in Wales being a Swansea 'Jack' according to the official centenary book.