January Tranfers Ins&Outs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

January Tranfers Ins&Outs

Post by Hammdog2601 »

Blisset seems to be on his way out it seems. Anyone heard anything about Williams? I think he will be another player to be leaving us in the transfer. That's a chunk of money. We could use!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Who's going to take him?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

The January window only applies for anyone moving upwards. Any club at our level or below can sign anyone at any time until the deadline day in March time.

Blissett moving to the Football League is a bit of a surprise given his scoring record so far this season, and I can't think too many others will be commanding fees and upwards moves. Less than six months they were available for free and didn't attract any better offers, and whilst a few have been slightly better than others, no-one has been outstanding enough to earn a jump upwards.

Anybody we don't want to keep (possibly only Williams applies, unless we bring in a few) will surely be staying in the non-league so could be moved on at any time. Although with everyone having six months left and currently getting on the bench as a minimum it's not like we have any deadwood to shift.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I think maybe Williams may go out on loan, that is his best best option for now.

With the Blisett situation I think it is so good to be true, I really cannot see him leaving us for a Football League team.

The only player I could maybe see us lose is Brendan. Although if that did end up happening I can see him being loaned out to us till the end of the season!
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

What is the story with Williams? He smashed in 36 goals in 77 games for Aldershot between '13-'15...surely we should give him more game time?! Is he hampered with injuries?
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I do wonder when we sign players whether sometimes the reputation earned at other clubs cannot be converted into goals with us because we don't play them in a system that they have thrived in before. When I look at a player for a club I look to see why he is playing well. who is the foil that enables this. what is the system and who is playing to the players strengths that enable the player being watched to thrive. Sometimes i can see that its not one player that is worth looking at and I think occasionly the two players need to be signed as they have a system that works with the two of them togther whereas splitting them up and finding out that the new partnership doesn't work quite as well.
When a player comes on loan. he is either trying to impress the boss at his parent club. or the boss at the club on loan. when the secuirty of the contract is set in concrete they ease off. Now with Keifer Moore I am hoping that if Kev goes in for him Kev will spot early on if he has bought into the ethos of his home club and that he is as much of a fan as he is a player. this alone might be the reason he could be worth ploughing all the transfer money from Nathan Blisset to get him. at least for the rest of the season if not a 2 1/2 year contract.
I know many players have let us down. But with Keifer I have a feeling that he might well be the answer to our prayers. and i think he would be a great signing.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

danjgregory wrote:What is the story with Williams? He smashed in 36 goals in 77 games for Aldershot between '13-'15...surely we should give him more game time?! Is he hampered with injuries?
Nicholson doesn't know how to manage him. Williams is a luxury player that will score you goals but contribute little else, certainly not defensively, think Ruud Van Nistelrooy levels of defensive contribution if a different play style. Nicholson has gone on record a number of times criticising Williams' work rate, stating he needs to improve it if he wants to be in the team and has never given him a prolonged run in the team. If you want a striker that contributes to other parts of the play, don't sign Brett Williams.

So we're stuck with one of our best paid players, one of the better Conference level strikers, sitting on the bench (and not always!) wasting a large amount of budget because Nicholson signed completely the wrong player for what he wants on the pitch. I guarantee that when he eventually leaves, he'll easily stick in 10-15 goals a season at this level for his new team as a conservative estimate.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Brett Williams has ability there is no doubt. Evidence his goal against WBA and more recently a superb strike at Plainmoor.

I think Nicho has got to accept that Williams is one of those infuriating players with natural ability who can only play one way and that is his way!

You just have to say look Brett I know you are a brilliant player that is why you are in the National League just go and play in your favoured position never mind the team but score 15 goals in the next 20 games and all is forgiven. He might just do it so he can say "told you so".
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

I hear that Sean Harrad has just left Wrexham after his short term deal expired. Might we go back in for him, especially as Bliss appears to be leaving?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

SenorDingDong wrote: Nicholson doesn't know how to manage him. Williams is a luxury player that will score you goals but contribute little else, certainly not defensively, think Ruud Van Nistelrooy levels of defensive contribution if a different play style. Nicholson has gone on record a number of times criticising Williams' work rate, stating he needs to improve it if he wants to be in the team and has never given him a prolonged run in the team. If you want a striker that contributes to other parts of the play, don't sign Brett Williams.

So we're stuck with one of our best paid players, one of the better Conference level strikers, sitting on the bench (and not always!) wasting a large amount of budget because Nicholson signed completely the wrong player for what he wants on the pitch. I guarantee that when he eventually leaves, he'll easily stick in 10-15 goals a season at this level for his new team as a conservative estimate.
He's had so many clubs he aught to take up golf. :)
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Blissett did the work of two or three men ( Nicho ). Williams shows little inclination for work at all. He is a much better striker than Blissett I have no doubt but on the balance sheet he seems to be in the debit column.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Harrad on his way back! TORQUAY United must wait on 'international clearance' from the Welsh FA before clinching the re-signing of striker Shaun Harrad from Wrexham. Harrad, trained with the Gulls today and hopes to be available for Saturday's home National League game against Boreham Wood. Harrad returns on an initial six-month deal.

Read more at http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/t ... dCalVX7.99
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Exeter City striker Jamie Reid's loan extended to the end of the season. Reid and Harrad might turn out to be a good partnership
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

MellowYellow wrote:Exeter City striker Jamie Reid's loan extended to the end of the season. Reid and Harrad might turn out to be a good partnership
Now, I admit this is more in hope than expectation, but Shaun Harrad is a wily old fox and I think much of Nathan Blissett's success last season stemmed from the work of Shaun Harrad. Could he possiby form a similar partnership with Brett Williams? On the other hand, on his performance just behind the strikers in the home match against Forest Green, it would be harsh on young Sam Chaney if he lost his place.