There is quite a lot "For Sale/To Let" in Torbay at the moment

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

There is quite a lot "For Sale/To Let" in Torbay at the moment

Post by Terry Henry »

I was talking with a friend last night about Torquay Utd, Plainmoor, GI, etc and he pointed me towards the InvestInTorbay website. Having a look on there is quite interesting as even things like the shelters on Paignton seafront are available to let as a development opportunity - the PDF says "Catering uses will be considered". When I saw it, my first thought was "Aren't there covenants on Paignton Green?", but I do not know the exact answer to that. Another cafe type thing was built near there recently (http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/i ... story.html - I'm sure the other little cafe owners there are delighted about that), with some questions about covenants etc. However, looking at that InventInTorbay site it seems that pretty much everything is for sale/for let in Torbay at the moment....although Plainmoor isn't currently listed. :}

In light of things like this, how safe do we think Plainmoor is? I hope Torbay don't sell, but they appear to be cash-strapped so will they?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Everything is over-priced..!

But a week is a long time in politics, or in the case of Brexit, two years is far too long! As for Torbay Council, whether or not they sell Plainmoor, there will be covenants and conditions attached to such a sale and to the ground.

So don't worry. When Brexit finally takes effect we will enjoy an economic boom; and Plainmoor and the club will be safe..
:~D
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

Well, I don't know about that! But how about Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse - anyone?! Please....anyone!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I've said this before, don't get to excited about covenants, very easy to either remove or find loopholes in them. Not presenting this as fact, but what's stopping G.I building a new stadium and simply transferring any covenants to a new ground, I've known this to happen with a sports ground that had a covenant on it.

Not an expert on this, but it could depend on when any covenant was written and how it's worded, if a smart arsed lawyer wanted to find a way around it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Terry Henry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Terry Henry »

forever, I agree. I'm no expert either, but if the Council want to sell I'd imagine it can all be sorted out in their favour, covenants or not. What I was getting at in the first post is that because basically everything else is up for grabs in Torbay, then surely Plainmoor is too.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Terry Henry wrote:Well, I don't know about that! But how about Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse - anyone?! Please....anyone!!!
Nah I wouldn't want it. i would have nowhere to put a chair in the corner
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

As I have posted somewhere on another thread, the Council will observe or ride roughshod over covenants to suit themselves.

The Italian Garden where the balloon was sited on the sea front had a covenant on it but the Council knew that the Carey Estate did not have the financial resources to fight a legal battle over it so went ahead and obliterated it. When the balloon was destroyed in a storm it turned out that the operators were £30k behind with the rent (but I'm not sure if this was recovered or not).

On the other hand, the Council cited covenants on Torbay Park as the reason for not building the Geo Play-park there but built it on Paignton Green instead, which as you rightly surmised Terry Henry, also has covenants on it. The covenants on the Green state that it should only be used for pleasure and recreation, so it's easy to argue that the Geo Play-park should have be allowed. However, charging for parking on the promenade almost certainly does break the covenant.

If the Council can make a fast buck from the sale of Plainmoor I think it will be gone before you can say "106 years of history".