Prospects for 2017

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Prospects for 2017

Post by Gullscorer »

I'm really talking here about the prospects for the team on the field of play. We've made a good start: only one defeat in the last six league games, and we're just 17 points behind the play-off places, a gap which it is more than possible to close by a good team over the course of half a season.

Earlier this year we were 13 points adrift at the bottom of the table with a few short weeks to go, but one way or another the squad was strengthened and motivated by the manager (credit where it's due) and we avoided relegation. It subsequently turned out that the club - and Kevin Nicholson - had a little financial help from the people who are now our new owners.

I realise, of course, that our prospects this time around will also be affected by the support given by the new owners and, if they're true to their word, they will allay fans' misgivings regarding their true intentions by providing a little more money now, not only to oil the wheels to ensure the club stays alive (including, for example, a regular team coach and driver) but to give KN the chance to continue strengthening and motivating the squad. If he can do that (and we all know he can) then we'll have a great chance to get into the play-offs.

What a springboard that would be for the team and the club for the 2017/18 season. New owners (lets give them a chance) with a five-year plan for a sustainable, even profitable, club, an official supporters club for the manager and playing squad, a TUST which works with the new owners to achieve our mutual aims (rather than taking an apparent antagonistic approach by 'holding them to account'), a successful team providing entertainment which draws in the crowds, and a bunch of great football fans supporting the team every step of the way.

After all the doom and gloom of recent years, and with the possibility of such vistas opening up before us, surely it's time to start looking on the bright side?

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Don't hold your breath.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We are not going to get anywhere near the play offs. You can't odds it, that was a brilliant win against Forest Green and in our position a priceless three points.

Of course you only get three points but it actually feels like that one was worth about nine points. But with the current team and the injuries we have got we will still do well to finish above the bottom four.

For all I know the new owners might invest some money which will make us safe but there is no evidence that they will do so. In fact their continued silence and refusal to front up and talk to the BBC would suggest to me the opposite. Its hardly a move which is likely to get the fans onside. The "mute" policy of the board has been going on for eighteen months and looks like its going to continue.
S4fedr1ve
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Andy Donnelly

Post by S4fedr1ve »

I agree with gullscorer here. Doom and gloom for too long now. A bit of positivity never does any harm.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

brucie is right.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Yes it's always good to look at the bright side of life but I'm not convinced we've heard the last of the takeover and ownership of the club especially with Masters still around. Dave Phillips' comments about his interests in TUFC in the HE should be seen as confirmation.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

brucie wrote:We are not going to get anywhere near the play offs. You can't odds it, that was a brilliant win against Forest Green and in our position a priceless three points.

Of course you only get three points but it actually feels like that one was worth about nine points. But with the current team and the injuries we have got we will still do well to finish above the bottom four.

For all I know the new owners might invest some money which will make us safe but there is no evidence that they will do so. In fact their continued silence and refusal to front up and talk to the BBC would suggest to me the opposite. Its hardly a move which is likely to get the fans onside. The "mute" policy of the board has been going on for eighteen months and looks like its going to continue.
Agree!
TUST MEMBER
LondonGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Sean McGinty

Post by LondonGull »

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I agree with Nickbrod that Peter Masters is the key player in any future deal.

Interestingly Truro City are 16th of 22 and only 5 points above the relegation places ( 3 teams go down) in National League South. If they go down I would put money on Mr. Masters doing a deal with GIL as unlike GIL Mr. Masters is genuinely interested in Football. Time will tell.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

LondonGull wrote:Just found this... http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/12/28/ex ... -interest/
There are both positives and negatives to this. Kevin Nicholson seems to have, more than most recent managers, a gift for spotting and developing talent and players with potential, and they come to the club knowing they have a real chance to improve and progress their careers. And it has long been the case that the club needs to sell it's better players in order to survive.

But our new owners need to understand (I'm sure they do) that we need more than this particular revenue stream if we are to do more than merely survive, that the real profits are to be made when we have sufficient funds to retain most of these players in order to move up through the leagues. KN and his squad are doing their stuff. Will GI keep to their side of the bargain? I for one am inclined, for the moment at least, to look on the bright side and give them a chance. The whole situation can be reviewed at the season's end.

It's possible we'll finish no higher than mid-table. If we all think negatively and give up now, that, or worse, is what will happen. Or we can think positive, make the effort, and go for it. We can only wait to see what GI will do with and for the club; some of us already think the worst. In the meantime, surely it's better to look on the bright side? I believe most of us do. So let's get up to Plainmoor and support the lads wholeheartedly in every game. Nicholson and the players deserve nothing less.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Any new owner just coming to the club would not sell our best striker to a near neighbor if they have ambitions to get back in the football league. A five year plan if theve got one would involve Blissett as his age is right. Kevin has not been playing the right partners with him this season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Prospects for 2017 ? To early to tell, until we get to the end of the EFL transfer window, and know the shape of our squad before we'll get any idea.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

arcadia wrote:Any new owner just coming to the club would not sell our best striker to a near neighbor if they have ambitions to get back in the football league. A five year plan if theve got one would involve Blissett as his age is right. Kevin has not been playing the right partners with him this season.
Please get real Arcadia. Blisset knows that another club came in for him. do you honestly think that he would want to stay at United knowing that a team at the top of league two has come in for him. there have been many instances of players not playing their best and effectivly resigning from the club. no good keeping a player that is unhappy. if he is unhappy he won't play well. in fact he might even decide he won't play because we have halted his ambition to play at a higher level. In addition to this it also sends out the story to any other players we are trying to entice to the club that our claim we will help you get a better deal at a better club if you re start your career here will be nothing but a load of tosh. We have no choice but to let him go. No other industry can keep employees if they see a better deal and in addition again the players at United would also see that we are a dead end in their careers. I know of at least one player who hopes that with a new board in they hope for a pay rise. how long will they want to continue to play for us if we don't and they are still on rock bottom wages when they could try their hand elsewhere. thats my fear for the end of the season when Nicho if he is still here tries to re sign players.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

arcadia wrote:Any new owner just coming to the club would not sell our best striker to a near neighbor if they have ambitions to get back in the football league. A five year plan if theve got one would involve Blissett as his age is right. Kevin has not been playing the right partners with him this season.
They do not have a five year plan yet. It is something that is going to be worked on over the coming months.
As for Blissett, the best thing is to sell now and get some money. The buying club only has to wait six months and they could get him for free. If Bliss has any ambition he will want to go, better to let him go and get some money than have an embittered individual in the dressing room.