A lesson for the Gulls

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

A lesson for the Gulls

Post by Gullscorer »

In 2003 Darlington moved into a grand new stadium built by their owner at the time, George Reynolds, with high hopes of a bright new future for the club. It turned out to be their downfall: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38404784

A lesson learnt the hard way, that success on the playing field must always be the top priority for a football club. This is what brings in the crowds, along with publicity and advertising. Additional revenue streams must always be concomitant with growing success on the pitch as we climb the Leagues.

Then there will come a point when, having established ourselves as a sustainable sporting business, and beginning to outgrow the old ground, we can consider the building of a new stadium.

In other words, we (and Gaming International) should get our priorities right. A perfect example is Bournemouth, a club we used to play regularly years ago. They've climbed the leagues into the Premiership, but are still at their old ground which holds, I believe, about 12000, and only now are thinking of the possibility of a new stadium.

We may never make it to the heights Bournemouth have achieved, but the principle still holds good. Too much too soon is not a good idea. Darlington teaches us the lesson that we must not over-reach ourselves..

On the other hand, to quote Robert Browning: 'A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?'
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Reynolds had an ego bigger than London, and the new stadium he built only had the purpose of winning him the prize, for the worlds biggest penis extension, there's no comparison here what so ever, as no one is talking about building a 20,000 stadium, or one with multiplex cinemas, helicopter landing pads, runways or anything else.

Yes your right a successful team is a priority, however that will not come at TUFC, it will never come at TUFC, with out first putting a sustainable income streams in place, one day it will strike with some, that 2,000 gates will not fund our revival, it will only see us as a mid table, lower end non-league club for years to come.

The likes of Burton, Shrewsbury, Barnet just to name a few did not invest millions, they all built new stadiums first, increased their revenue streams by having stadiums earning them money 7 days a week through out the year, then used that revenue to build a team and a club.

The only way forward for our club is to do same. Will G.I ever build a stadium, will they ever re-invest the extra revenue back into the club, this we don't know yet, I see no reason why they wouldn't, the football club would be their main source of income from any new stadium, the more successful the football club is, the more money they'd make.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

forevertufc wrote:Reynolds had an ego bigger than London, and the new stadium he built only had the purpose of winning him the prize, for the worlds biggest penis extension, there's no comparison here what so ever, as no one is talking about building a 20,000 stadium, or one with multiplex cinemas, helicopter landing pads, runways or anything else.

Yes your right a successful team is a priority, however that will not come at TUFC, it will never come at TUFC, with out first putting a sustainable income streams in place, one day it will strike with some, that 2,000 gates will not fund our revival, it will only see us as a mid table, lower end non-league club for years to come.

The likes of Burton, Shrewsbury, Barnet just to name a few did not invest millions, they all built new stadiums first, increased their revenue streams by having stadiums earning them money 7 days a week through out the year, then used that revenue to build a team and a club.

The only way forward for our club is to do same. Will G.I ever build a stadium, will they ever re-invest the extra revenue back into the club, this we don't know yet, I see no reason why they wouldn't, the football club would be their main source of income from any new stadium, the more successful the football club is, the more money they'd make.
The first part of this might be true.

The last sentence is garbage.

All a tenant has to do is pay the rent, so it doesn't matter how successful they are. Unless the rent is increased pro-rata with the success of course.

No reason why they shouldn't invest the profit from other income streams? Because it can go in their own pocket.
TUST MEMBER
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Agree with Neil, no way do GI have any legitimate interest in the playing side of Torquay United. If they were that way inclined they'd have done it with a far bigger club when they had a chance. Why would we be a better bet than Bristol Rovers? Quite simply it's a land deal for them and the football club and it's fans are an inconvenience. The sooner people realise that the better.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I am not their fan either as you know and I am certain in theory you are absolutely right. However if they are however going to lift the covenant they have to convince Torbay they want just a tad more for the area than a land deal I think. There is a sort of balance therefore they will want to strike. Otherwise they could have merely put us into administration on taking over as many people were surmising.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Southampton Gull wrote:Agree with Neil, no way do GI have any legitimate interest in the playing side of Torquay United. If they were that way inclined they'd have done it with a far bigger club when they had a chance. Why would we be a better bet than Bristol Rovers? Quite simply it's a land deal for them and the football club and it's fans are an inconvenience. The sooner people realise that the better.
Wot Dave said. :goodpost:
TUST No 278
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The first part of my opening post is true, there's no might be about it. The last sentence , yes, I am aware that could well be garbage I'd written there.

Dazza makes a good point, and the fact that G.I could have waited until January the 31st and taken up the reigns of TUFC a football club by then that would have entered into administration has not been lost on me, if their intentions are entirely evil regards our club, why didn't just do that, it makes no sense.

The very fact they didn't wait for our club to fall into administration, does NOT give me 100% confidence, but it does give me some hope, their intentions are to keep the football club running along side their obvious land grab.

Yes of course G.I could line their own pockets with any monies made from additional income steams from any new stadium. If G.I ever build a new stadium for our football club, and there's no guarantees they ever will, then the very fact the football would be the main source of income from the said stadium is something else not lost on me either.

So it's quite simple, if the football club was neglected, allowed to slide further down the non-league pyramid, and became even less successful than it is currently, the football club wouldn't be able to pay it's way and would fold.

G.I would then be left with a stadium costing them money, not making them money, where would be the sense in that, that's the point I was making.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Sorry Dave, you're a long way wide of the mark. I appreciate how it looks from the viewpoint of someone who knows only what you know, but take it from me, it was 'buy it or lose it' for GI.

Their main source of income will be the houses they build on Plainmoor. Every pound they spend on our new ground and on the club in the meantime will be a pound off their bottom line. That should give you some idea of how much they're likely to spend on the club.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I fully understand and except what your saying Matt, however if your going to respond to my post, please do try and read it, then respond to what I've written which was;

"If G.I ever build a new stadium for our football club, and there's no guarantees they ever will, then the very fact the football club would be the main source of income from the said stadium is something else not lost on me either"

And not respond to what you think I've said.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Come on Dave don't expect Ferrarilover to read it your posts correctly !! Matt knows all.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Sorry Dave, you're a long way wide of the mark. I appreciate how it looks from the viewpoint of someone who knows only what you know, but take it from me, it was 'buy it or lose it' for GI.

Their main source of income will be the houses they build on Plainmoor. Every pound they spend on our new ground and on the club in the meantime will be a pound off their bottom line. That should give you some idea of how much they're likely to spend on the club.

Matt.
Who says anything about building houses on Plainmoor? That is not what they are banking on at all!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

forevertufc wrote:I fully understand and except what your saying Matt, however if your going to respond to my post, please do try and read it, then respond to what I've written which was;

"If G.I ever build a new stadium for our football club, and there's no guarantees they ever will, then the very fact the football club would be the main source of income from the said stadium is something else not lost on me either"

And not respond to what you think I've said.
My fault for not quoting the bit I was actually responding to. We're operating at crossed purposes. Regardless, it doesn't matter.

Matt.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Modgull wrote: Who says anything about building houses on Plainmoor? That is not what they are banking on at all!
Go on, I could do with a laugh...

Matt.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

It has been much mentioned on forums in recent months that you probably cannot build expensive houses at Plainmoor because of the area that it is in; however, it has also been mooted , you could turn Plainmoor over to the former Westlands School )is it now Spires Academy?) who have use of the underbelly of Bristows Bench; swop it for their playing fields at Quinta. I don't personally know Quinta, but I'm told you can build nicer (more expensive) houses there. I don't really care, but then I'm not a property developer. All you have to do is provide an alternative stadium for the sitting tenants at Plainmoor. So it's not about building houses at Plainmoor. I don't know if this is what Modgull means, but I'm not laughing anyway.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Taxilady has it in one - the potential for developer profit at Plainmoor is limited but just consider the potential at Babbacombe. I'm not laughing either but don't believe that Matt is right with his assertion.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!