Part-time fooballers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Part-time fooballers

Post by midtable »

Every now and then the solution to our problems, according to some is the need for Torquay to go part-time to save money. It seems to me that this is plain daft as we would plummet down the leagues. In the conference hardly any teams nowadays are part-time but those who are tend to be near big cities. The players can then earn big money in a normal job and supplement their income with football. In Torbay a lad in his 20s would struggle to find decent IT employment etc. Braintree have a sports teacher who leaves his school at 3pm and stills makes it to away games. In our geographical position that is a non-starter.
Maybe I need to sell my large detached home.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

That's the long and the short of it, Mid. Bizarrely, we can't afford to go part time.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Yep. And shortly someone will come along a suggest that the answer is to train up country somewhere. Thus losing any identity we have as Torquay United.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

Everything in the opening post is correct. Trouble is we do not have enough money to run a full time professional outfit either. So where does that leave us?
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

part time is not an option, to get back in to the football league they have to stay full time or we should just give up now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Been discussed a few times, and the view point is correct, part-time football at Torquay is a non-starter, and yes it's been suggested about training elsewhere, however I don't think it's just about the club losing it's identity, think moving the clubs training base would pose a number of logistical problems, and perhaps wouldn't solve the problem, as players would still have to get time off to travel up and down from Torquay.

Think the club became very lazy, it's been proven that clubs at lower league and non-league level can not fund themselves and attendances alone, and while Thea was signing cheques, the, then custodians of the club did nothing to build alternative revenue streams, in fact gave at least two of them away, in the form of franchising out Boots/Laces and the club shop.

It's the only way forward, far to many with their heads buried in the sand unfortunately.
Formerly known as forevertufc