Atmosphere on matchday

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Atmosphere on matchday

Post by goody2449 »

Go easy on me guys, I'm still new to this.....

I have noticed a massive decline in match day atmosphere over the season.

I understand the clubs in massive financial disarray and I understand the anxiety and tension about the place. I just think its time the fans to get behind the team more during the games. I was there for the west broom game in pre season, it was a cold wet night but Plainmoor was rocking. Yes it was a premier ship team, but if we can get up for them, why cant we Wrexham or Southport at home.

Where's the guy with the drum?? He needs to come back and get the party going.

Pre match music, lets get it louder and more party like (it works wonders at the boxing and darts!!) surely anything is worth a try!!

Weve got a new signing, who looks like he could just be what we need in front of goal, why are we not coming up with new songs???

Now I know there's going to be a lot of negative comments on this about the doom and gloom on the pitch. but if the players feel and heart the support from their fans, maybe, just maybe they'll put in a performance we all crave!
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

Hope Solihull Moors help create it.

Yes , bands / drums / trumpets are good , to drum up ( no pun intended ) , atmosphere.

Sutton Coldfield Town FC , Hereford United &
Crystal
Palace have them , amongst others.

See " You Tube " , for Sutton Coldfield Town ultras brass band - awesome.

Solihull Moors about to get a drum or two, I believe.

Good news.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

goody2449 wrote:
I have noticed a massive decline in match day atmosphere over the season.
I wonder why that might be... :-/
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

goody2449 wrote: Pre match music, lets get it louder and more party like (it works wonders at the boxing and darts!!) surely anything is worth a try!!
Personally I can't stand it when clubs play super loud overbearing music before the start of the game. It totally ruins any attempts by the fans of either side to create a decent atmosphere. It's yet another attempt by clubs to sanitise and stage manage the atmosphere.

I don't think the fans can be blamed for not being exactly raucous during games this days, we've had four years of steadily worsening failure and disappointment, that takes its toll. The team has to give the crowd something, it can't just be a one-way relationship.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Fred Perry »

Too many " Plastic Seat Stadiums " have become like libraries in atmosphere.

Since Hillsborough, far too much " Health & Safety " in England.

Celtic brought back German style terracing.

Stewarding in English football, far too over the top, on trying to enjoy yourself.

Yes , Hillsborough was a tragedy, but we must MOVE on from this.

German football has got atmosphere right , with large banks of safe terracing in many of their grounds !!.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

Orange Gull wrote: Personally I can't stand it when clubs play super loud overbearing music before the start of the game. It totally ruins any attempts by the fans of either side to create a decent atmosphere. It's yet another attempt by clubs to sanitise and stage manage the atmosphere.

I don't think the fans can be blamed for not being exactly raucous during games this days, we've had four years of steadily worsening failure and disappointment, that takes its toll. The team has to give the crowd something, it can't just be a one-way relationship.

But that's the point, yes the footballs not great, its national league, what do you expect? but the library like atmosphere around Plainmoor isn't helping matters. Yes we go there and pay our money to be entertained, but come on, the fans have got to play their part too.

So many posts on this forum talk about the lack of quality, blame the owners, save the club, blah blah blah, but we can do something very little that will give a big impact by creating an atmosphere. Somewhere away teams don't want to come to.

we all no the state of the club and its football isn't great. but its our club too, we need to do our bit!! sitting there eating your hotdog drinking your brew is not getting behind the lads. perhaps the music pre game is not the best idea, but perhaps if we actually sung we wouldn't need it
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Fred Perry wrote:Too many " Plastic Seat Stadiums " have become like libraries in atmosphere.

Stewarding in English football, far too over the top, on trying to enjoy yourself.

German football has got atmosphere right , with large banks of safe terracing in many of their grounds !!.
I agree with the above. Also, with orange about attempts to create 'atmosphere'.
TUST number 080
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

The problem is Goody that the few fans near me who actually start the chants have just about given up, and Danny has stopped playing the drum as no-one was singing. I find this a bit frustrating, as an atmosphere makes things so much more enjoyable and Plainmoor's been like a morgue recently, but a lot of these guys go home and away every week, and are sick of the consistently crap performances that they've seen.

You can't enforce singing, or drumming, and until they see something on the pitch which justifies some support the atmosphere isn't going to improve.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by goody2449 »

brooker wrote:The problem is Goody that the few fans near me who actually start the chants have just about given up, and Danny has stopped playing the drum as no-one was singing. I find this a bit frustrating, as an atmosphere makes things so much more enjoyable and Plainmoor's been like a morgue recently, but a lot of these guys go home and away every week, and are sick of the consistently crap performances that they've seen.

You can't enforce singing, or drumming, and until they see something on the pitch which justifies some support the atmosphere isn't going to improve.

I get that, I really do, just think we need to try and get it going off the pitch, which might help on it. Trust me I would happily bring my boots down and help out, cant do any worse than some we watch
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I saw and heard the 'Sutton Coldfield Ultras' band when the team came up to Whitby earlier in the season. It actually consisted of three moth-eaten characters blowing and banging now and again (Sutton Coldfield lost). The trumpeter was o.k. but he only knew one tune and the rest banged and hooted away. Still, better than nothing I suppose. I must say I tried to avoid the drummer at Plainmooor (he stood quite close to the old codgers at the back of the pop.).
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Fred Perry wrote:Too many " Plastic Seat Stadiums " have become like libraries in atmosphere.

I agree with all of that. Football supporters are treated like cattle, and we are paying customers! Don't get me on stewarding, being stared at by stewards, some of whom look extremely threatening, all through a game doesn't help the atmosphere at all. The atmosphere at Plainmoor would be helped by lighter touch stewarding, rather than the provocative militarism that we see, I get the feeling that some of the stewards would prefer to be armed.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Fred Perry »

Yes - the Stewards - most on " power trips " !!!.

The ones at FC United of Manchester are probably some of the best - they allow the Supporters to " police " themselves on unreasonable behaviour.

Another thing , this Country has become far too " politically correct ".

Hopefully with BREXIT, that will change.

Eg. I am White English & not White European !!.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Fred Perry wrote:Another thing , this Country has become far too " politically correct ".

Hopefully with BREXIT, that will change.

Eg. I am White English & not White European !!.
What on earth does this have to do with football?
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Fred Perry »

Before BREXIT, we were becoming more frightened to say anything , in case we were called Racists etc etc.

Pleased to see the English at Wembley against Scotland , recently, more than hold their own on " vocal " support !.

Be proud to sing Torquay or Solihull etc etc, - you not offending other people , by doing so.!!

More of us have LOST our singing voices , because of plastic seat souless stadiums .

Obviously out and out racism is not right.

However , the opposing goalkeeper at a recent Solihull Moors match wore " all orange "

Some supporters sang " Your turning into a carrot " !.

The goalkeeper took it in good heart and laughed about it.
Last edited by Fred Perry on 21 Nov 2016, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

If you're worried about your chants offending other people then perhaps that says more about what you're singing than anything else. I don't miss the days when homophobic chants, or monkey noises at black players echoed from crumbling and unsafe terraces.