A Midlands Consortium

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Smurthwaite does not do consortiums! More chance of it being a Dean Edwards consortium with some of his Wolves buddies. Were run by consortium now, so lots to look forward too then ?
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Try not to smile too much. Go chase a negative...
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

A deal close to completion, not involving GI or Pete Masters and with people not looking to develop the ground is certainly welcome news. Fingers crossed now that the deal gets done and the new owners are people with a genuine interest in the club.

We've had 4 years of misery and are at the lowest point in our history. But we have a good fanbase, a good ground and facilities and a good manager who is working hard to rebuild the club on and off the pitch. All the building blocks are there, we just need some stability to start re-building the club and give the people of Torquay something they can be proud to support.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Totally agree Gulliball.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

That is Solihull Moors supporters !!!...

We do HAVE ex Birmingham, Villa , WBA fans :

Who could NOT relate to their players on sky high wages and grounds becoming devoid of any real atmosphere.

At least , in the National League, players mix with their Supporters in the Club Bar and such like , less crowd segregation and less " plastic seat stadiums " to visit without any real character!!!.

FC United of Manchester probably best non - league ground for 70's style atmosphere, without the agro.
Fred Perry
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Goalkeeper

Post by Fred Perry »

Unfortunately, you will not be able to get :

Jasper Carrott
Ozzy Osborne
The Bull Ring Shopping Centre
Slade
Frank Skinner
Cadburys
NEC
Land Rover & Jaguar car plant at Solihull.

They ARE our " Midlands Consortium " !!!.
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

Gulliball wrote:A deal close to completion, not involving GI or Pete Masters and with people not looking to develop the ground is certainly welcome news. Fingers crossed now that the deal gets done and the new owners are people with a genuine interest in the club.

We've had 4 years of misery and are at the lowest point in our history. But we have a good fanbase, a good ground and facilities and a good manager who is working hard to rebuild the club on and off the pitch. All the building blocks are there, we just need some stability to start re-building the club and give the people of Torquay something they can be proud to support.
And who knows, maybe a local derby 30 mins up the road to boot - COYY! :scarf:
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

The Midlands? Smurthwaite, Dean Edwards and GI are all Midlands based - Christ, it could be a consortium of them all! :(
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Soupdragon
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Woods

Post by Soupdragon »

Dazza wrote:I think the Board need to be congratulated for all their hard work whether this comes to anything or not. A lot of uninformed flack has been flung there way and it must be bloody hurtful. Right or wrong they have always acted in the clubs interest . Its easy to slag people off - i very much hope that when a history of the club gets written at its next anniversary these people get a chapter of their own.
I hope all well this week for the club and for them
"Uninformed flak" or simply some of us facing up to reality?

"...they have always acted in the club's interest." Again, hindsight shows they haven't. It needs only one example among the many available: failing to run the club within its means so they have to go cap in hand to a property developer (and others), putting the club in hock.

I have no doubt they have managed things to the best of their ability. It's just that that hasn't been best for our club.
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

PhilGull wrote:The Midlands? Smurthwaite, Dean Edwards and GI are all Midlands based - Christ, it could be a consortium of them all! :(
GI are based in Swindon, so therefore not Midlands and to the best of my knowledge Dean Edwards is still based in Torbay, but apparently was contemplating relocating home to Wolverhampton a while ago.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Soupdragon wrote: "Uninformed flak" or simply some of us facing up to reality?

"...they have always acted in the club's interest." Again, hindsight shows they haven't. It needs only one example among the many available: failing to run the club within its means so they have to go cap in hand to a property developer (and others), putting the club in hock.

I have no doubt they have managed things to the best of their ability. It's just that that hasn't been best for our club.
I can't speak for others but I've never posted uninformed flak and if the truth hurts then so be it.

This board might be full of well intentioned people but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind they've not been up to the job and have deliberately kept information from the fans for fear of the backlash. I stated on here that Nicholson was working without a contract despite the fact that there was an article on the OS stating it had been signed. Low and behold we're then told it was signed a few weeks previously. They allowed Dean Edwards the opportunity to hold them to ransom, they allowed GI to manoeuvre themselves into a position where they could dictate such ridiculous conditions for a loan. They repeated the mistake of letting most of the fans buy a ridiculously low season ticket allowing entry at 40% of the normal entry price and now we have a Stadium Manager running a Fans Forum as well as dealing with potential takeovers.

It's been a catalogue of mistakes that have left us with precious little time to appraise prospective buyers. I have zero faith in this board to do what is right for the club. Quite how some can say they at least deserve to get their investment back is beyond me, who in their right mind invests in a football club and expects to get that money back? Perhaps a naive but well intentioned racecourse bookie........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Southampton Gull wrote: I can't speak for others but I've never posted uninformed flak and if the truth hurts then so be it.

This board might be full of well intentioned people but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind they've not been up to the job and have deliberately kept information from the fans for fear of the backlash. I stated on here that Nicholson was working without a contract despite the fact that there was an article on the OS stating it had been signed. Low and behold we're then told it was signed a few weeks previously. They allowed Dean Edwards the opportunity to hold them to ransom, they allowed GI to manoeuvre themselves into a position where they could dictate such ridiculous conditions for a loan. They repeated the mistake of letting most of the fans buy a ridiculously low season ticket allowing entry at 40% of the normal entry price and now we have a Stadium Manager running a Fans Forum as well as dealing with potential takeovers.

It's been a catalogue of mistakes that have left us with precious little time to appraise prospective buyers. I have zero faith in this board to do what is right for the club. Quite how some can say they at least deserve to get their investment back is beyond me, who in their right mind invests in a football club and expects to get that money back? Perhaps a naive but well intentioned racecourse bookie........
Well said. My feelings too.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

last time we had a midlands investor it was Roberts who conned a midlands man out of his pension. Will wait to hear who it is first before i get excited
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

On the TFF Forum, it is said that the Midlands Consortium deal has fallen through. There is nothing on the H.E. website nor the official website to substantiate this. Does anyone on here - the proper Forum - know anything? Or is it just Forum- speak ?