New Players/Loan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Alpine Joe wrote: 14 Feb 2017, 10:32 The calculation that I'd like merse to do, as he's at least likely to be able to make a more accurate guess than most of us,is the percentage decrease between what Lathrope was on and the new amount that Aldershot were offering to pay him.
I was told it was half his previous deal and you're assessment of how players are 'eased' out by managers who don't want/rate them is spot on; but then being pretty sure of your background 'Joe' I think you are familiar with that anyway.
Alpine Joe wrote: 14 Feb 2017, 10:32
At the moment, I can't help feeling the new deal might have been so pathetically small that Damon might have given it less than 10 seconds consideration or insinuated he'd be better off taking a job sweeping the Aldershot streets. ......and I'd be surprised if he hasn't taken a pay cut for this season in comparison to last.
Indeed, a derisory wage which you know the player isn't going to accept, in order to help ease him out the door and look for another club. Gary Waddock has been busily filling his squad with ambitious (3 to my knowledge; one the son of a friend of mine and another a playing acquaintance of my son) young players on rock bottom money combined with their educational packages. Players who have failed to get scholar pro' deals at top academies who decided to accept what Aldershot had to offer and then take up full (young) pro' terms on their seventeenth birthdays. Two of these three ~ Luca Wrightman-David and Manny Oyeleke (now 24) ~ have been immediately loaned out to Ryman Premier club Canvey Island to get competitive experience as well as continue to play in the Shots u18 side in midweek; the other ~ Idris Kanu ~ has gone into Waddock's first team squad.

That's what a manager with a proper footballing infrastructure can do and he won't want deadwood with fitness issues like Lathrope cluttering up the scene.

A lot of the players going into National League first team squads at a young age began their football journeys at the top academies; Wrightman-David at Arsenal and then Spurs, Kanu at West Ham and Oyeleke at Chelsea and then QPR proving that if you know your youth football you'll find your targets. It all boils down to contacts.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

And a little bit of location thrown in. You could at least commute between London and Aldershot. That's not going to happen with Torquay, is it?
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Unfortunately the mileage between Torquay and anywhere else seems to be increasing in every year that goes by.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Dazza wrote: 14 Feb 2017, 20:39 Unfortunately the mileage between Torquay and anywhere else seems to be increasing in every year that goes by.
With the National League becoming more competitive and non league clubs offering increasingly competitive wages, as opposed to traditionally just 92 clubs, you could argue that it is.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Squad improvement is a priority as we are now only a few points from a well earned relegation spot!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote: 14 Feb 2017, 21:37 Squad improvement is a priority as we are now only a few points from a well earned relegation spot!
We're the same number of points above the bottom 4 as we were before tonight's games.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

I see that John Rooney who was Wrexhams leading goal scorer this season has been loaned out to Guiesley and he scored the winner against Sutton United last night , evidently he wanted more money at Wrexham and Wrexham said no and benched him for the last three league games until Guiesley came along and offered to pay his wages until the end of the season.
Its a shame we cant attract players like him and you have to wonder how serious are we about survival this season and is the club doing enough.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

New winger/forward on loan from QPR. http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 77297.aspx
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

Got to give the lad a chance, but a work experience loan doesn't sound like the thing we need to keep us up. Bit depressing all this really.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

brooker wrote: 15 Feb 2017, 13:24Got to give the lad a chance, but a work experience loan doesn't sound like the thing we need to keep us up. Bit depressing all this really.
I admire your optimism.. :)
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

It's a two way 'look at one another' arrangement as part of his work experience as a scholar pro who's current two year contract runs out on June 30th........don't knock it; we have just lost the pace of Fitzpatrick (he has it) and are down to bare bones yet again.

He's not the striker the manager is looking to sign either; but part of being a non league club at our level is working with these types of emerging player. It's the law of the jungle and the way of the football world.
Goody2514
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Goody2514 »

I watched the first teams training for a bit this morning at Torquay Academy, whilst my son was at the TUFC soccer school , the new guy looks good, skilful and quick feet. Not sure how he will get on against some tough defenders but definitely worth a punt in my opinion.
Hammdog2601
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Hammdog2601 »

I see Richard Brodie has been released by Boston.

He also has experience.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

Hammdog2601 wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 15:37 I see Richard Brodie has been released by Boston.

He also has experience.
He fits our profile. Overweight and rejected with a lot to prove again. I have seen him play this season and I was not impressed at all but who knows...maybe the last chance saloon and being played correctly could help him.

He would have to be prepared to come down here for very little money it would seem.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I'm 43 and a bit out of shape..............I reckon I should make myself available for a contract.

On the subject of youth players from bigger clubs, I think these days it's more a question of attitude. Youngsters earning a reasonable salary at a big club have no desire to stay away from home and prefer the nightlife and lifestyle of living in London rather than sleeping in digs in a seaside resort 200 miles from home. They don't push themselves.

Players 20-30 years ago had hunger and a desire to better themselves as footballers. That's when football was the primary objective.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.