Constructive ideas how the club can make some more money

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:The club memorabilia ideas are,all well and good but hasnt the shop been contracted out?
I think I read somewhere that the club gets a percentage of each sale.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

We have just canned a whole planned event barely a week before it was due to take place which was infinitely more enticing than having your photo taken with the manager and a player and it was half the price.

Apathy is rife in the area. People simply don't care enough about the club to make any of this workable. Two sittings for pre-match lunch when we don't even sell out of one sitting. Asking people to pay £20 for something they can get for free. Holding another music festival despite the fact that the last one lost us money. Talk of setting up a beer festival, which would be about the ten thousandth in the area, in a place with no parking and makeshift facilities and organised by a business with three employees, none of whom have even the first ounce of experience of such a thing.
These are lovely ideas in theory. Free money for the club. I'm not being down on these ideas for the sake of it, but threads like these do have a habit of cropping back up and being referenced as a sign that 'the club ignore the fans' or 'the club don't try to help themselves'.

What this fundraising initiative needs initially is a commitment of time and effort from as many people as we can get. That's your first hurdle. Loads of us have all good intentions, but fail to follow through. Evidence the Night Of Fun we've just had cancelled. Loads on here talking a good game about what the club should do, but when push came to shove and we asked for £10 and a couple of hours one evening, virtually no one bothered. Christ, I bought half the tickets we sold and I wasn't even going!

If we can get 10 people committed to giving 10 hours a week each for free and without fail, I'm sure we can club together to convince Andy Candy to lead from the front and form a working party to see what we can achieve.

I can't be present, but I'll stick my name down. Let's be having another 9 people and then we'll talk.

1. Matt

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote: Two sittings for pre-match lunch when we don't even sell out of one sitting. Holding another music festival despite the fact that the last one lost us money. Talk of setting up a beer festival, which would be about the ten thousandth in the area, in a place with no parking and makeshift facilities and organised by a business with three employees, none of whom have even the first ounce of experience of such a thing.
I am aware as said in a previous post the club is seriously under-staffed. Part of the problem is highlighted, when a TUFC fan and poster on this forum (Neal) posts back down the thread what's no10's, when you find yourself a situation when the clubs own fans haven't heard of the clubs own restaurant, boy are you in trouble.

The internet by the way is such wonderful invention, 1 person can do the job of 10 and reach 1000's of people in seconds using it, 1 generic e-mail sent to all e-mail address held on file, 1 post on facebook, 1 tweet, 1 post on each of the TU related fans forums, and every fan knows.

Yes we don't sell out 1 sitting, however if you offer a carvery at say £15 a head, well great, wonderful, marvellous. However if you offer a carvery and family stand ticket for £20 suddenly it becomes a little more inviting. So you fill a few gaps in the family stand, you would sell out 1 sitting , maybe, maybe not a second, and what do people do when they eat, yes, of course they drink, they go to the bar and buy a few rounds, and that's where you make your money.

Yes the club lost money on yellow(bore)fest 2, but again, you offer the right music to the right people, you'd make money. Thought the beer festival idea was a cracking one being honest, it doesn't matter, if you 5-10-15-20 of them, they come in by the coach load, plainmoor probably not the best venue, could it not be held elsewhere, like TUFC in conjunction with Tuckers Maltings, maybe.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Hey - why not sell the club out to property developers? That is a surefire way to make some serious money.

Or have we already tried that?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Matt,

Do you mean like the TUST and other working parties that have aided the Club previously. Or is it essential that you are number 1 in this instance?

Listen, it's not the worst idea, champ. It has indeed been done to beneficial effect before and could happen again. I believe there are now two fans organisations whose membejrs might now be interested in such a thing. One has been set up with that as it's primary/possibly sole focus. Contacting both may assist to see if they will be your 2 and 3. I might be your 4, if they are, but you'll get some numbers on the forum so I'll take my place in line. Maybe they'll read and contact you. That would be great. I know you'd like that. And I know they'd like your energy. They ought to. But if they don't, give them a bell.

Quite a few of the other ideas already posted would also help, too. Not just your "unique" one. Why so dismissive? Extra trip required for Fun Night vs. At the match already for the photo idea? That's just one example of where being so dismissive misses the point the poster has made. The free players one was another one recently laid to rest.

You are quite right to acknowledge that greater numbers organised and rallying around a cause is better than one rallying around their own. It's constructive in many respects, but its sometimes better not to say 'you're all clueless twats, here's how it is" to get people who will actually follow through on something other than completing your list for forum purposes.

Channel the energy and try not to focus on getting insults in every post you make. I've tried to be polite getting this over. Good luck.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Fanfests before matches. Maybe not every home game but having something else that makes it more of a day (as let's be honest the football is not the greatest).

Get some ex-players down - they're clearly keen (e.g Sills etc for the Games night) but I feel people are more likely to attend if it was on a game day.

Fiver entry or maybe £10 inc. a pasty and a pint. It seems to work well down the road!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote:

Yes the club lost money on yellow(bore)fest 2, but again, you offer the right music to the right people, you'd make money. Thought the beer festival idea was a cracking one being honest, it doesn't matter, if you 5-10-15-20 of them, they come in by the coach load, plainmoor probably not the best venue, could it not be held elsewhere, like TUFC in conjunction with Tuckers Maltings, maybe.
Yellowfest was a beer festival as well as the "music".

http://www.englishriviera.co.uk/whats-o ... h-p1691253
gullpower
First Regular
First Regular

Post by gullpower »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:The club memorabilia ideas are,all well and good but hasnt the shop been contracted out?
If this is the case then couldn't the club buy shirts for Nicho to sign then raffle them off on match days, have an online auction on the OS or add them to the 50/50 Crossbar Challenge draw.

No reason to buy the entire stock but it experiment by buying a couple to start with.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jerry wrote: Yellowfest was a beer festival as well as the "music".

http://www.englishriviera.co.uk/whats-o ... h-p1691253
Take your point Jerry. However the price of £15 a day or £25 for both points to where the problem was, especially if you put that entrance price up against the line up, must CAMRA events are between £3-£5 to enter, with live music, I drove past the last one held at Tuckers Maltings, people were at the event by the coach load, literally, there were coachs parked along side Osbourne park, the park was full of people.

Mattpumas idea is an excellent though. It's not just about charging £3 to go in, the endless opportunity to promote the club, if you held such an event at Tuckers for argument sake, you've got Osbourne park, hold a 5 a side football tournament at the same time, maybe, and so the list of possible extra activities can go and on.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh Dave, I love your enthusiasm and I wish I viewed the world with such a childlike naivety of business and the way of things, but this talk of beer festivals and whatnot is so grotesquely impractical there's really not enough time left in the universe to explain why it won't work.

Save yourself the heartache, we aren't organising a beer festival.

If you fancy helping, have a think about giving your time freely, as I have asked elsewhere.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

So come on Matt. With every post you belittle the ideas of everyone else. You've put your name forward to 'help' but just what is it you expect to be helping with. What are YOUR ideas to secure the future of professional football in Torbay?

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

PhilGull wrote:So come on Matt. With every post you belittle the ideas of everyone else. You've put your name forward to 'help' but just what is it you expect to be helping with. What are YOUR ideas to secure the future of professional football in Torbay?
He's said before how we can secure the future of pro football in Torbay: sell the club to somebody with the money to pump into it and cover losses, better yet to someone who fancies chucking in the money to build us a new stadium with revenue-generating capabilities. The situation really is that simple, but people don't want to hear it.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

madgull wrote: He's said before how we can secure the future of pro football in Torbay: sell the club to somebody with the money to pump into it and cover losses, better yet to someone who fancies chucking in the money to build us a new stadium with revenue-generating capabilities. The situation really is that simple, but people don't want to hear it.
Oh okay. I guess we'd better just sit on out hands and wait for that to happen then. :rofl:

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

PhilGull wrote: Oh okay. I guess we'd better just sit on out hands and wait for that to happen then. :rofl:
Well, seeing as the board have two offers on the table from parties able to invest in us financially, yes, that seems like a good course of action.
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

How about having the fans pick the man of the match, text a number, the poll shown on the big screen at the end of the game, charge £1/£1.50 per text. Easy way of making aprox £1000 per home game