Constructive ideas how the club can make some more money

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

The headlines in today's Mail read - MONEY MACHINE MUST BE FED BY REGULAR SUCCESS ..... AND UNITED KNOW IT. Okay, it's that other United who play at Old Trafford they're talking about, but the same applies to TUFC as Wivel rightly posted on this thread earlier. A successful team playing good football would increase our home gates by 800 - 1000 which would considerably ease financial concerns. Apart from the end of last season, we have had three seasons of abject failure and a successful side playing good football looks to be light years away at present.

Teams - e.g. Exeter - make their own luck. We had a winnable home Cup draw against Woking, another side experiencing money worries. We frittered the chance away. There were over 4000 at Stockport on saturday for their first round match. I think gate money from cup games is split three ways - home team, away team and the F.A. - so I suspect Woking picked up £15000/£16000 from gate money alone. They will also pick up £thousands for their win and have got the chance of another lucrative draw tonight. I can't remember when we last won a F.A. Cup round 1 match.

Of the suggestions on here, goody's idea isn't bad, although I think making £1000 per home game is a tad optimistic ! The other one which I think could be a runner is a Coffee Shop/TUFC centre in town. Yet another coffee shop opened in Paignton about a month ago - the town is awash with 'em. Yet they all seem to be doing good business. I rarely go into Torquay (which must be a strong contender for the most depressing town centre in the country), but I can't think of many coffee outlets in Union Street. Obviously some 'money crunching' would have to be done (rental, staff costs etc) but if shown to be viable, it would provide revenue for the club all year round and give TUFC a presence in the town centre.

However, after standing on the Plainmoor terraces for six decades plus a few years (yep - I'm one of Matt's coffin dodgers), I have to say through gritted teeth that I agree with David Phillips that the future of TUFC lies away from dear old Plainmoor. It's a nice little ground but it is no longer fit for purpose in the 21st century. I have been persuaded by Forever's arguments, but not his argument for a G4 pitch. A ground with added sports facilities, parking and perhaps a hotel at, say, Nightingale Park (not convinced this is the ideal venue) is what any prospective purchaser, hopefully not GI, should be aiming for long term. Just take a look at Paignton Community College on any evening. The place is buzzing. The Sports Hall and pitches are always fully used. The College must be making a bomb. I have never been to Eastleigh, but the sort of facilities that Soton Gull describes seems like a model we could learn from. But all this seems a long, long way from where we are now.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

tomogull wrote: I have to say through gritted teeth that I agree with David Phillips that the future of TUFC lies away from dear old Plainmoor. It's a nice little ground but it is no longer fit for purpose in the 21st century.
This is undoubtedly true for the long term future of the club, but right now we need money to see us through the end of the season. That's priority number 1. Planning for this glorious future is all well and good but if the club goes bust before that happens, it's all for nothing.

For all of the questions surrounding GI, I think the way for a football club like ours to prosper is by capitalising on non-football income. That means doing something on the 340ish days of the year where we don't have a home game. That means improved facilities. Etc etc.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.