Player Fitness

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Player Fitness

Post by PhilGull »

I keep seeing on Twitter how much the players are training in the gym but are they doing enough training with a football? The team results suggest to me that maybe they are not. Discuss...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Upper body strength is one thing as the 'manager' seems besotted by, but what's the point if the players' legs can't cope after 50 minutes?
Why would a neutral, Gary Hill the Woking manager, after our 3-1 loss there last month, state he couldn't believe how unfit a full-time professional club could be?
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

nickbrod wrote:Upper body strength is one thing as the 'manager' seems besotted by, but what's the point if the players' legs can't cope after 50 minutes?
Why would a neutral, Gary Hill the Woking manager, after our 3-1 loss there last month, state he couldn't believe how unfit a full-time professional club could be?
The 'manager'?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Sorry the 'novice' because he's clearly out of his depth.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Clearly. Only masterminded an escape from certain relegation.

Nico isn't immune to criticism - for example today he has to take a lot of the flak for not changing things - but he is definitely one of the more positive aspects of the club at the moment
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Asked whether it was player fitness or mentality was at fault for our team dropping back so deep late in games, and here we are in October and we're still seeing on Nicho's FB page a few weeks ago , Gary Hill commented on our teams lack of fitness back a few weeks ago when our team was roundly beaten at Woking in the league.

I wonder whether there's been a certain amount of naivety in the player's fitness training, we all know they tend to hit the gym a lot. Of late we've seen a few of our players pull up with muscle injuries, in October that's quite alarming to me, maybe that's something that wants reconsidering.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

It appears the players will have to earn their part-time wages. :clap:

https://www.torquayunited.com/news-firs ... ity-tests/
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

forevertufc wrote: 16 Oct 2016, 14:36 Asked whether it was player fitness or mentality was at fault for our team dropping back so deep late in games, and here we are in October and we're still seeing on Nicho's FB page a few weeks ago , Gary Hill commented on our teams lack of fitness back a few weeks ago when our team was roundly beaten at Woking in the league.

I wonder whether there's been a certain amount of naivety in the player's fitness training, we all know they tend to hit the gym a lot. Of late we've seen a few of our players pull up with muscle injuries, in October that's quite alarming to me, maybe that's something that wants reconsidering.
One year on and here we are. :@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Trojan 67 wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 13:44 One year on and here we are.
Sssh; you'll be accused of using poisonous bile against the person who oversaw all that......

Thankfully, 'something was reconsidered' and hopefully the embarrassment such as is highlighted earlier in this thread of the utter shambles at Woking last season which Garry Hill so rightly highlighted ~ and was the subject of utter disbelief amongst the home team's non playing squad members that night ~ will eventually be consigned to history given time.

Good fitness and conditioning practice doesn't depend on the size of the budget to implement it; it depends on the knowledge and intent of those responsible to put it into practice.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

All this talk of fitness in the modern game makes me yearn for yester-year, back to the days of Brian Clough when he demanded Nottingham Forest’s players drink before the night of big matches, to ease any pre-match nerves. Two European Cup's later maybe his method was not madness. Even though I would love a player with the quality of Gazza's in our team, I would/could not condone his unusual pre-match method of snorting cocaine and consuming up to nine brandies before a match. However, we are where we are, safe in the acknowledgement that if your tractor gets a flat tyre one of the Torquay players will be able to carry a spare one to you.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

At least they are having their fitness levels assessed, per the OS. Hopefully, this will reveal the weaknesses in the previous phitness philosophy and GO/MK can overhaul the training programme. We've already seen a different approach to the pre-match warm-ups that had been looking stale.
TUST member 200 ;-)
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

torq2u wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 15:32 At least they are having their fitness levels assessed, per the OS. Hopefully, this will reveal the weaknesses in the previous phitness philosophy and GO/MK can overhaul the training programme. We've already seen a different approach to the pre-match warm-ups that had been looking stale.
I question the concept that the players fitness is under-par and would suspect their cardio-vascular measurement will show a high level of fitness. It is for me much more a question about the quality of the players as footballers themselves.

It reminds me of an old story of Mel Charles (brother of John) who after a successful career at Arsenal moved to Cardiff and scored a hat-trick against Swindon Town, but was dropped by the manager for the next game after he told his striker he was not fit enough and hadn't worked hard enough for the team. Charles responded by pointing at a horse in a field by Ninian Park and telling the manager "you could put a number eight shirt on him and he would run all day – but he wouldn't score a f***ing hat-trick for you!"
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

This is great to see and I'm pleased that Gareth Law is involved...he's certainly earned his keep this year!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Doesn't surprise me one bit, a year on and we're still talking about player fitness. Cardio vascular fitness is one thing on it's own, it's not a complete measure of a players fitness, Cardio fitness isn't worth a spit to any footballer, if he lacks stamina and core strength.

All this talk and the good old days and drinking clubs, it's utter nonsense, that may well have worked in 1970's and 80's, but the global game has moved on since then massively, there's a reason why some of our continental counterparts are seeing players avoid injuries and play at the highest level right into their late 30's , because they embraced many things, including the importance of eating and drinking the right things at the right times.

It's all well and good being able to run 5 miles, but too many soda's, fruit juices, and the an over regular visit to the kebab house, and your not going to be fit for 90 minutes of football.

We all know the players were hitting the gym, and to be honest this is not overly wrong, it depends how often and what were they doing whilst there. A player doesn't need 56 inch biceps and pecs so large they start and end in two different postcodes.

A player needs strength in his lower back, stomach and legs, the rest Is down to technique, there's a big difference between static and dynamic warm up's and stretch's also, too much static, and yes, your going to pick up injuries.

Maybe less time playing mini golf, and more time on some good old SAQ training. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: 27 Sep 2017, 19:31 Doesn't surprise me one bit, a year on and we're still talking about player fitness. Cardio vascular fitness is one thing on it's own, it's not a complete measure of a players fitness, Cardio fitness isn't worth a spit to any footballer, if he lacks stamina and core strength.

All this talk and the good old days and drinking clubs, it's utter nonsense, that may well have worked in 1970's and 80's, but the global game has moved on since then massively, there's a reason why some of our continental counterparts are seeing players avoid injuries and play at the highest level right into their late 30's , because they embraced many things, including the importance of eating and drinking the right things at the right times.

It's all well and good being able to run 5 miles, but too many soda's, fruit juices, and the an over regular visit to the kebab house, and your not going to be fit for 90 minutes of football.

We all know the players were hitting the gym, and to be honest this is not overly wrong, it depends how often and what were they doing whilst there. A player doesn't need 56 inch biceps and pecs so large they start and end in two different postcodes.

A player needs strength in his lower back, stomach and legs, the rest Is down to technique, there's a big difference between static and dynamic warm up's and stretch's also, too much static, and yes, your going to pick up injuries.

Maybe less time playing mini golf, and more time on some good old SAQ training. :)
Your right. There was too much focus on body strength and his gym guru under KN, and numerous new signings have stated that the training practices are different to what they have previously done .
Lucy