Where's everyone gone in the forum?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Ben_gull

Post by Ben_gull »

It's a real crying shame where we now find ourselves and Andy is bang on the money when he says that mistakes have not been learned from. They haven't for 5 years- ever since the bungled nature in which we dispensed with Martin Ling. We have steadily got worse year on year.

I boycotted all but 6 matches of our first season back in Non-league - which would have been unthinkable personally a few years before - based on the fact that our relegation was needless and avoidable and sadly all but set in stone by February.

However, I felt it my duty to return under the new stewardship of Steve, Dave P et al, a call to arms if you like, we must never forget, no matter how miserable our situation currently is, that without their intervention and hasty (v.difficult) cost cutting measures that our club would not exist at all.

This feeling of duty was heightened when Paul Cox walked out on the very poor squad he had assembled and Dean Edwards' nefarious dealings were unearthed. To this day, no matter what rightly or wrongly can be levelled at Dave Phillips, I have great sympathy for him because I believe he was merely a pawn in Edwards' grand scheme. The consortium that was left holding the baby was not the same one that inherited it in the summer with the supposed galvanising figurehead running to the train station with a suitcase full of cash.

It is very easy to point fingers at the current board, mistakes are made on a daily basis and communication is virtually non-existent, we are a laughing stock BUT, apart from a few fleeting moments in my life-time we have always been a laughing stock and that to me is part of the attraction and I've always accepted that and laughed along with each humiliating occurrence.

What people need to remember is that MB insolvency implored this board of directors not to invest in Torquay United 'not with a barge pole' 'money down the drain' etc. had I been in their situation I would have heeded this advice, that they did not is all credit to them and they have my admiration. That, 18 months on and amid dramatic, unsympathetic cost-cutting, we still exist at all is a minor miracle. No doubt they had planned to stay a season only, stabilise the club and pass it on to someone. That there is no one else out there to take the club is not their fault, they are left in a situation they hoped never to be in. For me, it is little wonder that much of the decision making is muddled.

Amid all the fiascos of Hargreaves, Cox, Edwards, Smurthwaite etc we somehow survived last season. That should be the lasting legacy of the current board, that photo of the squad infront of the Popside, that should be the memento of a job well done for this board. Their appointment of Kevin Nicholson did not win many new fans to begin with, even though he was the only realistic candidate for a whole host of reason, I went to Tranmere away in January and the knives were out for him that day. That he turned it around speaks volumes for the type of man he is, and again is another tick next to the board members for me. No matter what has gone on before or since, nothing has told me that Nicholson isn't the right person for this job.

Some of the matches towards the back end of last season will remain some of my favourite ever supporting Torquay. Those 6 pointers at home to Chester and Altrincham, that away match at Bromley, the atmosphere, the sense of togetherness, the focus on the prize that mere weeks ago 13 points adrift seemed impossible. No matter what happens, no one will ever take those memories away from me. Looking Danny Racchi and Shaun Harrad in the eye as they manically celebrated goals they hadn't even scored for a team that they weren't guaranteed to play for after the end of the season. Magical. Again, another tick against the current board, keeping faith with a faltering manager and finding the funds to bring in half a new squad.

And so to the main man, Kevin Nicholson. I am biased because I loved him as a player. From a personal point of view it was the best appointment the board could have made at that time. It would have been so easily to lose interest after the 3-7 Bromley and 1-2 Borehamwood horror shows but Nicho would always get my full support. I admit, it was hard, regular defeats, players leaving on a daily basis, panicked statements. What the great escape showed for me in those last 17 games was just how poor, disorganised, naive the squad that Nicho inherited was. That he bided his time, took the flak with his head held high, didn't hide, and slowly built an entirely different squad speaks volumes about the sort of manager he had the potential to be and also serves to demonstrate that there is no need to panic right now after a few defeats.

What Nicho created at the back end of last season was special, it convinced 1200 fans to buy a season ticket, 60% of last season's gate. That feel good feeling was something I hadn't felt for years and it continued throughout the summer and through pre-season. Read back the WBA threads and read the optimism for the new season. I find his openness and candour on Facebook refreshing. Ask him a question and he'll answer it, his perpetual cheerfulness in spite of the chaos going on around him is galvanising. He had made mistakes, plenty of them infact, he is a novice and he is learning and the peanuts he is getting reflects that. I doubt anyone could operate more admirably given the ever-shortening parameters of this poisoned chalice. And yet it's still his dream job. He wants to be here. No manager has ever said that of Torquay United, and when you see how he interacts with the community, you know that he means it.

The job does not get any easier for him. I am sure he wanted to add to his core squad during the summer but had the rug pulled out from under his feet after the failure of YellowFest 2 and the breakdown of the GI takeover. The squad feels 2 or 3 players light because of it, and that's not his fault. And 'oh yeah, you're going to have to get rid of your championship standard captain on the eve of the new season' he hasn't seen a penny of that money for reinforcements. That's not his fault. We continue to travel in the most unprofessional matter. Broken down coaches, convoy of cars, driving a minibus, none of that is his fault but he gets on with it and makes the most of an acrid situation in a way that he believes is to the betterment of his players. Would any other manager, experienced or otherwise, really keep calm and carry on through all this circus? I reckon they'd be up the M5 quicker than Dean Edwards. Nicho is the man.

He's not perfect, some weeks he's below par, as all managers are, but he has got us competitive and still looking a damned site better than the rabble we had at the beginning of last season. The first 4 or 5 home games of this season we looked very good, played some excellent football. These things take time. Brett Williams looked an exciting prospect, we were all delighted when he signed but you can't legislate for 4 ridiculous bookings within the first five matches. We can only hope that his return to the team will see him hungry to prove his point. He could be like a new signing so little have we seen of him. We arent blessed with a big squad, we have to back the players we've got, there is no other choice.

So, me, am I apathetic? Not towards Torquay United, no. I still feel it, bleed it, love it. I used to post on here a lot but when I missed almost the entirety of that first non league season so went my posting, though I still read it every day. I am not proud of my boycott but I felt I needed to take a step back. I don't like negativity, though I can't blame those who act in that way, and these forums became a continually miserable place to visit. I didn't feel I had the appetite to agree with the negativity that we all felt, nor the energy to try and argue against it if I deigned it worthy. It's a shame because back in our halcyon days in the football league when we pretended to be a more professional club for a couple of years these boards where a great place to visit. All the great personalities have slowly dwindled and now it is sadly just one negative comment after another. No one has the energy to argue against the tide of despondency.

I write in Highway To Hele, I tweet a lot, I facebook my thoughts occasionally. That seems more appropriate for me now. I hope these boards can get that vibrancy back but I fear the only way to do that is performances on the pitch and better leadership from the board. In that regard getting this place back to where it used to be will be a very large mountain to climb.

COYY
Absolutelythirdrate

Post by Absolutelythirdrate »

Well said Ben Gull - I find myself agreeing with most of your comments. However I can't help feeling that it would be in the everyone's best interest if the board staged a public meeting with a Q&A session. They probably wouldn't be able to satisfactorily answer all questions but their reputation would improve merely by holding such a meeting.
Is it me or did Dave Phillips promise transparency and openness with the fans? Not exactly happening is it?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

That's a hell of a post, Ben-Gull. I heard Nicho speaking about the club on Radio Devon at lunch time (yes - some of us old farts listen to Radio Devon occasionally) and I tell you what - there's an old saying 'cometh the time, cometh the man', and there's very few who could/would do what he is doing to galvanise TUFC. Yes - he agreed that finances were very tight at the club. Players were given the choice of travelling by coach to away games with no overnight stays, or making their own way by car/minibus and staying overnight. They chose the latter. Asked if there was a light at the end of the tunnel, he replied "Yes, there is always a light, however long it takes to reach it". He didn't duck any questions (he'd never make an MP) and his answers were concise. His positivity makes me feel bad about my present despondency. So let's shake off the 'woe is us' feeling and show a little optimism to support Kev in his quest. You never know - a win against Woking tomorrow might just start turning the wheels of recovery with a decent Cup run.

At the same time as listening to Radio Devon, I was reading about Chelsea negotiating an eye-watering £900 MILLLION kit deal with Nike over 15 seasons (£60 million per season). I love the game of football, but not the mad, mad money side of the game.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

I've been in hospital with no internet access since April, check when I can
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Well put Forever !! Hope to see in the bar again soon !!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Ben_gull wrote:It's a real crying shame where we now find ourselves and Andy is bang on the money when he says that mistakes have not been learned from. They haven't for 5 years- ever since the bungled nature in which we dispensed with Martin Ling. We have steadily got worse year on year.

<snip>

I write in Highway To Hele, I tweet a lot, I facebook my thoughts occasionally. That seems more appropriate for me now. I hope these boards can get that vibrancy back but I fear the only way to do that is performances on the pitch and better leadership from the board. In that regard getting this place back to where it used to be will be a very large mountain to climb.

COYY
Blimey :goodpost:
Lucy
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

simply i can rarely log in, its ok tonight but as often as not it says password not recognised etc, still check daily
still keeping the faith
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote:simply i can rarely log in, its ok tonight but as often as not it says password not recognised etc, still check daily
I'll look into it now mate but it's usually user input. A quick look on google will explain how to get through certain login issues faster than I could write a summary for you.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Cracking posts Ben Gull and Tomogull. Really good to see positive posts Like this.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I still glance at the boards and come here on match days to read the write ups but rarely contribute now.

Unlike most of you I'm not Devon born and bred. I, like many, inherited Torquay as my football team from my family most of whom still live in South Devon. When I went to University in Exeter I went to pretty much every home game for three seasons with my Grandfather, who between last season and this sadly passed away. With my Grandad gone, the major factor linking me to the club has gone. Also in the season down time I moved jobs and where once I could happily browse the internet and read and post on here, I no longer have that luxury. These two factors, coupled, mean I struggle for enthusiasm at the moment.

That's the personal reasons why I've not posted of late. On to club reasons:
1. We're rubbish and that's not going to change any time soon.
2. I believe in Nicho, but I don't believe in the people who are running the club, good intentions, sure, but are these the people who are going to inspire people to turn up and cheer the team on?, no.
3. The defence, seriously!
4. Promising signings, not delivering the goods. I remain optimistic on this front come on Sparkes you can do it!!!
4. COMMUNICATION, lack thereof. No-one cares about pre-match meals, tell us how close to breaking even we are.
5. Bickering with TUST. I'm a member but shan't be renewing, why can't everyone just be friendly?
6. I'm disappointed at the lack of baby merch the club stock (I mean come on we would've splurged serious £ on a decent first baby shirt with surname on back - I appreciate this is a unique, minor, gripe)
7. The poems in Highway to Hele, rubbish

All of this doesn't change the fact that My Dad and I will still go to the away games we can, my son will be raised yellow and blue, I'll use my mug with pride at work and I'll log on here every now and again and have a little whinge.

So, I too share the apathy of the fanbase.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm back! :)

(see Popside : Latest Film You've Seen thread)

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

A lot of people have already said things similar to how I feel. I also check the forum regularly but just don't have the passion anymore to get involved. For the past few years, the club has become an even bigger laughing stock than it already was. Martin Ling left and it's almost like the gods decided TUFC should struggle forever more.

A succession of poor decisions, bad management on and off the pitch and a fanbase that's all but disappearing. Mike Bateson used to refer to he hardcore 2000, we're now down to the hardcore 1400. People just don't want to go anymore. I used to be a season ticket holder but this year, despite the £200 offer, I kept my money in the bank. I've been once to watch us lose to Maidstone and I haven't missed the place one bit.

I used to get a buzz on matchday and drove down from Burnham on sea, usually arriving at Plainmoor at 1pm to sit in Boots and enjoy the pre match build up. Last year I moved back down to Paignton and now, when the ground is just a few miles away, I would rather watch TV or mow the lawn than go to Plainmoor.

Sadly, I don't see things getting any better over the next couple of years and crowds will drop further.

It's ironic that the busiest thread on the website at the moment is this thread. Most of us can't be bothered to comment on the Woking game.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I wonder if trojan 67 is an old codger; I suspect he may be as his favourite player is Tommy Spratt. There is a strong element of old codgerism on this site which is great and which certainly keeps me posting.
Remember Reg Wyatt!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

I still have a look at the forum daily to keep up
I think most things/issues have already been said.....
I've not posted as much due to having no t’internet....
I still keep in touch with Bixieupnorth via Sadbook and we will be at guiseley next month.

Think it's a sign of the times re the trials and tribulations of TUFC.... :(
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468