TUFC Fanzines from yesteryear (help?)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

TUFC Fanzines from yesteryear (help?)

Post by bobby93 »

Most/some of you will know that a group of us have been busily putting together TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele for over two years now. I thought it was time to take a look back at some of our spiritual predecessors. I'm familiar with Capital Gulls, and I am also aware of the existence of Bamber's Right Foot - however, I have never seen a copy of the latter. I think it would make a fun feature in HTH if we could look back at TUFC fanzines of yesteryear, see what they were all about, and plot how we fit into the lineage.

So, the reason I am posting is because I may need some help in pulling this together. If anyone has old copies of Capital Gulls or Bamber's Right Foot in particular, that they don't mind loaning to us, that would be most helpful. And if you or anyone you know was involved with either of these fine publications - or any others that I'm missing out - it would be really great to feature some opinions and memories of them in HTH.

I hope you'll agree that this is a fun idea, and I hope that there are some of you out there who can remember these two zines! Any help or guidance greatly appreciated - you can message us on here, through the social media platforms or via email which is [email protected]

Ta.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

I may be wrong, but one of the original TUFC fanzines was called Mission Impossible - if my memory is correct this later morphed into Bambers? Mission Impossible was first around (I think) in the late Cyril Knowles / early Dave Smith era and was superb - the edition that covers our Sherpa Van Trophy run in 89 was excellent - as was the regular'Time Tunnel feature. Bambers was good, but Mission Impossible was the best 20p a TUFC fan could spend. I'm not sure how many 'Missions' were made - I have some of the old copies of three or four, but if anyone has the whole set I'd be interested in buying them.

There was also one called something like 'The Gullible Gullpost' around the same time as Bambers.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular

Post by bobby93 »

Thanks Enzo, I hadn't heard of the other two. I have also just stumbled across another one called 'You Wot!', which proffers to be an anti-racist alternative Torquay United magazine. I'd be very interested to read that. I'm hopefully going to be able to get hold of a few copies of some of these from various people, which would be great.

Would you mind if I quoted some of your thoughts above in HTH? If you'd prefer, you can email me directly with some memories of those publications.

I knew this would be a good idea.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

No problem. If I can dig them out of my loft I'll send you the copies I have - if you want - and can send them back once you are done. Not sure of copyright things if you wanted to use any of the articles, but I am sure you will know about things like that. I don't know him, but I still occasionally see the guy who I think was behind Mission Impossible at Plainmoor so I would imagine he logs on here now and again.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think I might have a copy of Mission Impossible - penned by Tony Jordan (I think) and Gullible Goalpost was produced by Chris Manna(?). I will have a look.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular

Post by bobby93 »

Enzo wrote:No problem. If I can dig them out of my loft I'll send you the copies I have - if you want - and can send them back once you are done. Not sure of copyright things if you wanted to use any of the articles, but I am sure you will know about things like that. I don't know him, but I still occasionally see the guy who I think was behind Mission Impossible at Plainmoor so I would imagine he logs on here now and again.
That would be amazing if you could, I'd be happy to send them back and I wouldn't be intending to pinch content.

I'll DM you my address in case you can find any. Really appreciate the help.

stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

It is not exactly a Fanzine as it was issued by the club but I have a copy of 'The Gulls Cry' volume 1 number 2 dated March 1968 price 1/- (5 pence for younger readers!), which you may find of interest.

It was intended as a magazine the supporters could contribute to. It was introduced at a time when the club were top of the old 3rd Division (League 1 now) and looked certain to be promoted to the 2nd Division (Championship). The intention was to issue them every 2 months during the season. It didn't happen as there never was a volume 2.

Articles in this one include:-

GOALSCORERS (with a photo of Sammy Collins the record goalscorer for the club);
PERSONALITY GIRL (almost certainly very un-PC these days but a feature on a female supporter - this one features Sue Proserpi who I did know many years ago - 'likes dancing, sailing, and pop by Tamla Motown' - how very 1960's!!!);
SOCCER TACTICS by Frank O'Farrell (manager at the time);
SUPPORTERS CLUB (news and thoughts from the club - with an ELECTED committee!!!);
WOMAN'S VIEWPOINT (article by Doug Clarke's wife Maria)
SPOTLIGHT ON BOBBY BAXTER (excellent full back in the best ever Torquay United team)
REFEREE'S - THEIR FUTURE (debate about whether they will become full time -at that time the view was 'not in the forseeable future - well just how wrong can you be!!);
TORQUAY OR TORBAY (article on whether the club name should be changed to Torbay United on our promotion to the 2nd Division - yes, we were that confident!!);
PLUS several good action photos from recent games the most noticeable feature now being a packed Plainmoor!

If you are interested in having a look for Highway to Hele PM an address and I would be happy to send it.