United 2 WBA 1

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

United 2 WBA 1

Post by portugull »

This was without doubt the most enjoyable Pre Season Friendly I have ever seen.

Two superb goals from young Callum Hall and Bret Williams put us ahead and we defended superbly against a strong WBA team full of Internationals.

Over 3000 at Plainmoor including 600 plus from West Brom who were very very quiet!!

Well done Nicho you certainly caused a shock tonight and the win was richly deserved.

Forum fans should read the West Brom website!
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

anyone know if west brom donated their half of the gate like plymouth?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:anyone know if west brom donated their half of the gate like plymouth?
I doubt it. Looks like they need the money more than we do.. :~D
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

How strong was the WBA side? And who is Callum Hall (the Twitter feed credited the goal to Alex Kelly, to whom the same question applies).

A link to the WBA forum would be appreciated for a good read :)
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

Jeff wrote:How strong was the WBA side? And who is Callum Hall (the Twitter feed credited the goal to Alex Kelly, to whom the same question applies).

A link to the WBA forum would be appreciated for a good read :)
Can't find a Callum Hall in either the starting lineup or subs bench so where that name came from I don't know. Herald Express lists him a trialist left-back.

Alex Kelly is a midfielder who plays/has played for Charlton U21.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Thought Hall was released by Argyle last season?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I heard he was ex-Argyle too. What a great strike it was although I thought Foster at fault because he seemed to have it covered - it appeared to go between his outstretched arms. And what a turn, run and finish by Williams. As good a goal as I've seen in a fair few seasons.

However, once WBA woke up to the possibility of an embarrassing defeat they suddenly looked like scoring with every move down our right - and the youngsters suddenly looked very frail indeed, coughing up possession just as soon as they got the ball.

What I think we learnt last night is that we have a very decent first team (as long as Huth signs) but there is not much strength in depth. Still, got to give the squad credit for a very good overall performance and great result.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I'm assuming that the x5 remaining trialists who featured last night won't all be signed?
Chamberlain, Mitchell, Huth, Kelly and Hall.
Who stays? Who goes?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Google does indeed confirm Hall is ex-Argyle and was released earlier this summer
GoodringtonGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jean-Yves Koue-Niate

Post by GoodringtonGull »

Wow, what a performance that was last night! I hadn't seen any of the other pre-season games before this one, and even had second thoughts about whether I should have made the trip to plainmoor yesterday. But that was well worth the entry fee!

I thought we looked comfortable at the back for the majority of the game, with Gerring and Huth putting in solid displays. Wasn't convinced by Mcginty tbh, the physical attributes are there but his clearances and decision making looked suspect at times. Our weakest point had to be the full backs, Verma at first had a torrid time facing up against Wilson and McLean, but eventually grew into the game. Not many of their attacks came down the right after their winger had to be taken off with an injury, but at times Nicho was caught out with pace and struggled.
Similar to the defence, the midfield diamond of Damon, Chaney, Duke and Sparkes looked good and matched up well against premier league opposition. Young Duke put himself about and got stuck in to some meaty challenges. Damon provided some useful balls allowing Chaney And Sparkes to run at their defence.
Nathan Blissett was awesome last night, he's really come on since joining us looking a real threat going forward. His timing for headers was good, and even out paced their full backs with sheer speed when running down the flanks. I thought the worst player on the pitch was Jamie Reid. The lad clearly has some pace about him, but missed two clear cut chances in the first half. Maybe if he stayed on the pitch for longer he might have improved, but overall I wasn't convinced by him!

The only two trialists that stood out for me was obviously Huth and Hall! Two great debuts and could be useful squad players. I think Chamberlain or Kelly could get a contract but remains to be seen what finances dictate that. Young Mitchell could be a good player when he's older, but I don't think he's quite ready for first team football just yet.

Two excellent goals. A screamer from Callum Hall, and an Excellent turn from Williams to then fire a shot past the helpless Ben Foster

Bring on Macclesfield! :scarf:
Oh Fer Christ Sake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courteney Richards

Post by Oh Fer Christ Sake »

Jeff wrote:How strong was the WBA side?
Ben Foster (£4m)
Jonny Evans (£6m)
Darren Fletcher (Bosman)
Rondon (£12m)
Saido Berahino (youth product, valued at £22m+)
Jonas Olsson (£1.2m)
Matt Phillips (£5.5m)
James McClean (£1.5m)

Those are the full internationals that I can think of off the top of my head. The prices are their reported transfer fees to WBA.

Three there have appearances for Man Utd and I'd say Evans and Fletcher probably have a dozen medals between them, including a UCL winners apiece.

This was their starting XI, pretty much, and they got beaten fair and square.

As for a forum, you lazy, lazy bastard: http://www.westbrom.com
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Two cracking goals and their's wasn't bad;

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -west-brom
TUST number 080
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

I wonder how the ref would sort out booking the players that didn't have a number on their shirt :)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/