Potential Targets

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Potential Targets

Post by Wubble U »

Dave Thomas mentioned recently that Nicho was in talks with an experienced striker and a centre back.

The first place to usually look for potential signings is Exeter's and Plymouth's released lists, and I see Clinton Morisson, Deane Smalley and Will Hoskins are now free agents.
I think all of them could do a job at this level.

I see Josh Simpson released as well; would be a good addition in midfield as well imo
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Not our target any longer but Gateshead are apparently speaking to Toby Ajala.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

Clinton Morrison has signed for Redditch I believe. Deane Smalley would be a bit of a gamble as he has struggled with injuries in the last couple of seasons. Will Hoskins would be a good addition. Scott Rendell is out of contract at Woking and as much as I would love to see him come back I just don't think we could afford him. Jake Cole is also out of contract at Woking and would be a good option if Moore doesn't decide to return.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Markh84 »

Other Potential strikers that KN could be looking at are:

Jack Midson
Kaid Mohammed
Brett Williams
Jon Shaw

These players have all been released by their respective National League Clubs.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Markh84 wrote:Other Potential strikers that KN could be looking at are:

Jack Midson
Kaid Mohammed
Brett Williams
Jon Shaw

These players have all been released by their respective National League Clubs.
I think a lot of them would be out of our range. Depends how much of a budget Nicholson is getting to play with.

Others mentioned earlier in this thread seem to be a bit injury prone - I'm not sure whether we (with our presumably small budget) should be looking at players such as that. Of course if we managed to keep someone like Will Hoskins fit for the season he'd be the best player in the division. Alas, knowing our luck I think the opposite would be at risk of happening.

These are the sorts of players we should be looking at. With Blissett we have someone who's a real handful up front, and a wiley fox-in-the-box kind of player is exactly what we should be targeting. I've been saying it for years but Jamie Cureton is probably the best example of this. I see he's still going in League 2 for the Daggers, but that's the mould of player we need. Harrad I suppose you could argue fills that role, but I don't think he's a natural finisher from what I've seen.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Well I will retract that statement, I guess I'm wrong.

Brett looks like a tidy signing for us.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Gulliball wrote:Not our target any longer but Gateshead are apparently speaking to Toby Ajala.
Now confirmed, on a one year deal. Says he could have stayed here but wanted to "enjoy his football again". Might be sloppy phrasing, but given that he outright rejected our offer rather than stall as per the other three, I don't think he was very happy here.
www.torquayfanstats.com
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Gulliball wrote: Now confirmed, on a one year deal. Says he could have stayed here but wanted to "enjoy his football again". Might be sloppy phrasing, but given that he outright rejected our offer rather than stall as per the other three, I don't think he was very happy here.
Not to cast aspersions but Nicho does like a hard working all for one and one for all ethic...
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

And Simon Hesflop has signed for York after scoring 3 times in 20 matches for Wrexham.

Still can't believe he did so well for them after being so poor for us.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

PhilGull wrote: Not to cast aspersions but Nicho does like a hard working all for one and one for all ethic...
Never wanted him back, thanks for nothing good bye, good riddance.......... Really do hope I'm saying the same thing Friday morning. ^.^
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Gulliball wrote: Now confirmed, on a one year deal. Says he could have stayed here but wanted to "enjoy his football again". Might be sloppy phrasing, but given that he outright rejected our offer rather than stall as per the other three, I don't think he was very happy here.
Good riddance again. He has great raw talent but his final touch/decision making are horrific. Let him enjoy his football in Gateshead where it's bloody freezing and sub 600 gates.
Lucy
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

lucy6lucy wrote: Good riddance again. He has great raw talent but his final touch/decision making are horrific. Let him enjoy his football in Gateshead where it's bloody freezing and sub 600 gates.
Yes - great potential but terrible decision making. I think it is another bad decision turning down a chance to work with Nico at Plainmoor. He didn't make it at Dover and I suspect it will be the same story at Gateshead. Do I remember rumours of him and grumpy Bowman not being the best of mates? I wonder how they will get on together ........ :whistle:
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Markh84 »

With there not being much transfer activity over the last 10 days or so i have been casting my eye over the retained list from all the league 2 clubs for potential targets. A number of players stood out. Admittedly some of these players may be out of our reach budget wise but i thought i would throw them out there anyway.

Sam Beasant (Goalkeeper) released by Cambridge United. Would be a good backup for Moore.
Troy Archibald-Henville (Defender) released by Carlisle United. Well known for his time at Exeter City. (Would be an Outstanding signing IMO)
Christian Ribeiro (Defender) as yet not offered a new contract at Exeter City. (Would be an Outstanding signing IMO)
Alan Goodall and Andy Parrish both experienced defenders released by Morecambe.
Matt Partridge and Scott Barrow both defenders released by Newport County.
Shaun Batt (Winger/Striker) Transfer listed by Barnet.
Ben Tomlinson (Striker) Transfer listed by Barnet. Had loan spells at Tranmere and Barrow last season.
Alex Nicholls (Striker/Winger) as yet not offered a new contract as Exeter City.

I think any of the above players would be very good signing at National league level especially Archibald-Henville and Ribeiro. I identified 4 potential Strikers that Nicho could be looking at earlier on in this thread and we ended up signing one of them. Would be more than happy for that to happen again this time.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Harrad and Racchi are apparently both trialing at Wrexham. Better than Heslop and Briscoe but still a strange recruitment policy from them to sign our free transfers.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Markh84 wrote:With there not being much transfer activity over the last 10 days or so i have been casting my eye over the retained list from all the league 2 clubs for potential targets. A number of players stood out. Admittedly some of these players may be out of our reach budget wise but i thought i would throw them out there anyway.

Sam Beasant (Goalkeeper) released by Cambridge United. Would be a good backup for Moore.
Troy Archibald-Henville (Defender) released by Carlisle United. Well known for his time at Exeter City. (Would be an Outstanding signing IMO)
Christian Ribeiro (Defender) as yet not offered a new contract at Exeter City. (Would be an Outstanding signing IMO)
Alan Goodall and Andy Parrish both experienced defenders released by Morecambe.
Matt Partridge and Scott Barrow both defenders released by Newport County.
Shaun Batt (Winger/Striker) Transfer listed by Barnet.
Ben Tomlinson (Striker) Transfer listed by Barnet. Had loan spells at Tranmere and Barrow last season.
Alex Nicholls (Striker/Winger) as yet not offered a new contract as Exeter City.

I think any of the above players would be very good signing at National league level especially Archibald-Henville and Ribeiro. I identified 4 potential Strikers that Nicho could be looking at earlier on in this thread and we ended up signing one of them. Would be more than happy for that to happen again this time.
Would love Nicholls but unless he really wants to stay local and his wife is loaded or/and the sponsors evening last night went beyond our wildest expectations then it just ain't going to happen! Think the same can be said for Ribeiro.

Some good research and players suggested Mark but in honesty I expect them all to get deals from clubs already in the league and if not then the clubs with bigger budgets than us will snap them up. But hey - we got Sparkes and Williams which was beyond our expectations so you never know!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/